denied disability

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

GG...I havent been to a phycologist yet. The drs want me to go to a neurophycologist to be evaluated. They want to see if there is a reason for my memory loss and confusion all the time. I think it is from drug changes every month...but they want to make sure.

I actually am calling to make an appointment today. Not sure how I feel about all of it...but I will go to make the drs happy. I guess if they do decide I have early dementia then at least I may eventually forget I have this disease!! I still think it is from the drugs...we will find out.

I will let you know what happens. Thanks again..

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Whomever is treating you for RLS, please do show them literature that lists opiates as a category to treat it, it has worked for me for years, it's almost sure-fire for many people's relief, as i've jabbered about before. If it's not a type of drug you've tried already, I think since the docs are wanting you to travel cross-country to find help, go ahead and ask them to give that one final shot, doesn't take much or very long to stop it.

In my opinion, it is the discomfort that RLS causes that makes a person a little fuzzy in the head, that is precisely what is going on with me, altho it is my back pain that now continues to goof up my thinking. But when I first got RLS and it was untreated for almost a year, I thought I would go out of my mind, and I remember on this very forum a wife of a man who had RLS came on here, trying to find answers, he had gone around the bend and was in a mental hospital with untreated RLS. So, my own neurologist, after my RLS was under control, when I asked him how come I couldn't focus, he said it was all the pain in my back that was doing it. He said when people are in pain, they can only think of that.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

Actually I have tried the opiods. Last summer 2010 when I was on my drug holiday I was on Methadone for 8 weeks. I was so sick during that time and I was a mess on it. After that we tried the fentanyl patch...I did ok on a very low dose and that didnt help the discomfort as soon as we put another patch on I was vomiting again. The only thing good that happend during that 8 weeks was I lost 30#. Taking vicoden does nothing to help..it doesnt make me sick but it doesnt help.

Now I am on Clonidine at night. I sleep for about 4 hours and then I am up. Really not even sure why I wake up. Husband thinks I need another sleep study. At least with the Clonidine I do get a good 4 hours and apparantly that is all I need. Right now I am at 2.5mg of Mirapex a day...spread throughout the day. She doesnt want me to go any higher..

Thanks for your advise. I do appreciate it.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

I see, Pam. Well, I did read a response at your other post for which doc to go to, and I was glad to read someone recommended an expert at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, not ALL that far, I suppose, compared to other places, especially if you can drive to an Amtrak. But anyhow, like you said, could be you have two disorders going on at the same time like she did, and her doc there knew all about it! Might be your answer!
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

helen1965

Post by helen1965 »

Hi Pam, I live in the UK and I phoned to ask for a claim form for Disability Living Allowance, as it's called here. I didn't even get past the operator, as she said I would only qualify if I had difficulty walking! If only! I told her I couldn't take public transport of any kind, I cannot sleep without medication, I cannot sit for any period of time, I have had my work pattern changed to accommodate when my RLS is at it's worst etc etc. She said this Allowance doesn't cover these things, and when I asked what was appropriate for me to claim she said she didn't know if there was anything . All the Disability Allowances in the UK are geared towards people that can't walk or can only walk with pain. I don't come into any of those categories, even though these people can usually sit down and rest their bodies and their minds to some degree and I can't do that. They can sit as a passenger in a car or bus, and I can't. But they qualify for help, and I don't. The whole system is biased and inflexible.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Helen, I am also UK and fully agree with your comments.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation