Movement as a relief for RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
rudedoodle

Movement as a relief for RLS?

Post by rudedoodle »

I was wondering- when your legs go into RLS, if someone else moved them for you; as in physically raised and lowered them- would that bring relief? Or is the relief only because you work the muscles to move your own legs?
Does muscle contraction disperse the antsy feeling, or is the physical moving does it?
If I lay still and someone lifted and lowered my leg, would that give relief, or would that do nothing?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What an interesting question.
I don't believe I've heard this one before, and I'm afraid I just don't know.
But... speaking for myself I reckon it would take the physical act of walking.

Can't wait to see what views others may have on this.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

For me, it's definitely the muscle involvement. Sometimes I can manage by simply tensing my muscles; when I am unable to get up and walk. When it's really bad - and painful/achy - I do a lot of stretching and bending, and curling up and tensing.

Last year, when I had surgery on my hip, RLS was a big concern for me; because I knew that I would be very limited in my ability to move certain parts of my leg by myself. I used a continuous passive motion machine after the surgery. I would say that it did absolutely nothing to help when the "jumpies" started. If anything, I felt more restricted with it. I would find myself wiggling everything else that would wiggle in hopes of drawing my mind's attention away from my immobile leg.

Honestly though, I only had a few really bad nights in relation to the surgery. :wink: I would (will - the other side is scheduled for this winter) do it all over again without hesitation.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

rudedoodle

Post by rudedoodle »

Scarlet, that's exactly what I wondered, if a machine to move your legs would help. Interesting to know. Thought it was probably more likely the action of the muscles changing from relaxed to tense.

badnights

Post by badnights »

For me, I'm sure that the muscles need to work, that a machine or person moving my legs would not help. I can get relief from tensing my muscles without walking, if the WED is not too bad.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

It feels to me like moving my legs releases some sort of electrical build-up, which would not happen if I didn't have to fire my muscle fibers to move them.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rudedoodle

Post by rudedoodle »

Electrical build up is EXACTLY how I try to describe the feeling. It's like it's charging up and will explode if you don't move.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

In the past couple years, a unit was tested that squeezed the muscles - much like those units do in hospital. I remember seeing the study posted here....somewhere.

It was quite successful, as far as I remember. I don't know how long the improved results (no sensations) lasted and can remember thinking that I'd need to wear it at least 14 hours a day, lol, so I didn't really look into it any further.

In essence, the machine was moving the muscles for the person.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

wow. I'd wear it at night. why not.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.