Augmentation

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Pairodocs

Re: Augmentation

Post by Pairodocs »

Hi, I'm late to this thread, but will weigh in anyway.

I augmented on Requip in 6 months, then on Mirapex almost immediately, so much for the DAs. I'd had hip replacement surgery right before and realized I slept like a baby while on the hydrocodone. I finally talked my dr into letting me stay on it, which is nice since it does double duty for osteoarthritis pain which has gotten much worse. (RTHR, TMJR, 3 level lumbar fusion, bi-lat CT, and future expectations of LTHR, bi-TKR, and big toe cheilectomy, It's in nearly all my joints) So I've been on iHydro since 2008 with no problems or side effects. It's like taking aspirin for me, no dependence for me either, I can stop and start as I need during the day but haven't had the guts to stop it at night.

However, recently the hydro doens't seem to be as effective. I'm also on Cymbalta for nerve pain, first 2 yrs at night with no effect on WED. But 6 months ago when the WED seemed to be getting worse, I switched taking the Cymbalta at night to in the morning, and that seemed to help a bit for a short while. I'm almost afraid to tell the Dr since I know he has been looking for an excuse to take me off the Hydro, and i really need it for the OA pain. So I'm sort of hoisted on my own petard.

We discussed trying Welbutrin instead of Cymbalta but I haven't tried it as yet, I have no side effects on the Cymbalta (that I can identify as such), and it's really really effective for nerve pain (shingles PHN).

I'd say in the last year, I seem to be getting the WED in my right arm, not as bad as legs, but a very uncomfortable feeling until I move it. I always assumed WED was symetrical, but my left arm is fine.

rlsidaho

Post by rlsidaho »

I've been told by my current doctor that cymbalta can make RLS-WED symptoms worse. I'm taking it as well, and I would concur with him. I went down on it but my anxiety returned. I may try switching to Wellbutrin, as it does not Make the symptoms worse.

Recently I have had the pain in my upper right leg return. We have tried using lyrica to help with the pain but it doesn't seem to be helping. Not sure what to do about it... I am so thankful to have the majority of my RLS-WED symptoms under control that I haven't really spent much time on the pain.... I need to though, as tylenol is not great for me, long term....

Good luck with your meds and pain.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tough position, pairodocs. And, hard to tell if the Cymbalta may be contributing or the oxy just isn't as effective as it was....or the WED just got worse!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.