Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
rthom
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 am

Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by rthom »

I often wondered (actually in my case assumed) if the recurrent muscle spasms and achy calves is part of the rls exacerbated by the plms, but as a secondary symptom. For instance, in my case i am on my feet all day and most of the night. This is a direct result of the feelings in my body. As a necessary coping strategy it would prematurely wear out the energy reserves in the muscles and of course that would cause chronic fatigue, and the incessant stiffness bring on a spell of Fibromyalgia, etc. etc. etc.
What do you think?

Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, plms, wed, ==tiredness in the core of the muscles (just plain wore to the bone--walking etc.)?

ViewsAskew
Moderator
Posts: 16283
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:37 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Really hard to tease out all the factors. Probably your guess is as good as any. Solid treatment might help you determine it - if you get something under better control, and something else goes away, you might have a cause and effect. Might, of course, because it's very easy to ascribe something and then have it turn out that it wasn't the reason!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Betty/WV »

rthom wrote:I often wondered (actually in my case assumed) if the recurrent muscle spasms and achy calves is part of the rls exacerbated by the plms, but as a secondary symptom. For instance, in my case i am on my feet all day and most of the night. This is a direct result of the feelings in my body. As a necessary coping strategy it would prematurely wear out the energy reserves in the muscles and of course that would cause chronic fatigue, and the incessant stiffness bring on a spell of Fibromyalgia, etc. etc. etc.
What do you think?

Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, plms, wed, ==tiredness in the core of the muscles (just plain wore to the bone--walking etc.)?


I, to have been suffering with pain in my calve, just left leg. It even hurts down into my foot. It could be because I really need a whole knee replacement in that leg. I don't know. Of course, everything that happens, I first think it is the WED/RLS. I'm such a mess. With the WED/RLS, arthritis, fibro, heart etc. Plus severe depression. Sometimes I think maybe I am insane. And the fact that I can't drive, because of falling asleep at the wheel,makes me even more depressed . I'm having a sleep study (again) on Feb. 9th. Its a PSG (polysomnogram)/MSLT (Multiple Sleep Latency Test. This is when you stay all night and most of the day the next day. I stay at home, sleep alot during the day. I think that is why they want to do this , I think the doctor is wondering if I have nacolpsy also. I fell asleep Sunday at our Christian meeting. I just kept nodding off, but when I started wondering where my Bible was, I just had it on my lap. I had dropped it and it was under my seat and I didn't even know I dropped it.

All I can do, is get on here and vent. I probably sound like I'm nuts. But I think posting all this helps some. :? :(

Hope I didn't bore you to death. I appreciate everyones support and encouragement. Maybe tomorrow I won't be as down as I am right now.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

rthom
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by rthom »

wow, you got a case of it.. that's harsh. It's hard to get through the days when everything seems to be out of control. The sleep study sounds like a good plan, it would be nice if they were able to make some suggestions to help sleep at night.

With regards to the pain in your legs it is hard to figure that one out. Maybe it's a rest thing--muscles in need of more? At least for me when the rls/wed is controlled the cramping goes away.
That's what prompted the question as I was told it is not part of the rls but it only happens when the rls is out of control. When it does happen it is unbearable and is strong like a charlie horse and just keeps happening over and over again (like at least 10 time a night, in all different muscles--mostly legs). It goes on night after night.....until i get the rls under control. This also makes me stay on my feet to keep the spasms from happening as much, probably causing it to worsen by wearing down the muscles? Thus the question about secondary problems from the rls/wed.
This only happens when the wed is bad no other time.

badnights
Moderator
Posts: 5884
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Northwest Territories, Canada

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by badnights »

Betty love, I hope you're feeling better? I bet you're falling asleep because you're dead tired all the time, but I suppose it could be narcolepsy. How have your nights been lately, is the RLS/WED under control? I found that once I got that under control, I still couldn't sleep, until I was prescribed a mild hypnotic to take as well. It has made all the difference. Did you end up taking anything for the depression? Because that can cause insomnia and consequent daytime tiredness, which then causes more depression ad infinitum.

Re muscle cramps. I don't understand them. I never had a problem with cramping (a cramp once every 3 years or so) until the operation that also kicked off my WED. Then I started getting cramps in my lower body (anywhere from butt on down) and hands. It escalated until last year, then stopped when I stopped sports for the summer. Did not re-start even during mountain work in August, did not re-start with hockey season. Just started getting cramps again recently. Can't tie it to anything :?

I try to remember to drink lots of water and eat potassium-bearing foods (bananas).

Another thing that began at the same time and has gotten progressively worse is a loss of muscle strength and coordination in my hands. A sleep doctor told me once that those things are common in RLS but no one knows why - it's a clinical observation of physicians who actually treat sleep disorders, and hasn't made its way into papers written by physicians who do research on sleep disorders, as opposed to treat them. So he implied.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by rthom »

The muscle tiredness is interesting--i occasionally (few times a week) get unco-ordinated--liek my muscles just can't do it. Start dropping things and drag about feeling like a dishrag. But mostly it's my hands and legs. They feel exhausted. Walking my dog is a must but it's hard to get it done. I'm having one of those days today--i walked her for an hour or so yesterday on rough terrain--(in snow, ice up hills etc.)well it took till tonight to figure out what was going on--likely the walk yesterday. If you know me personally you'd know how not likely it is for me to be tired--very exuberant busy guy, so the thought of a walk wearing me out is nuts. Also this is part of my work--i've not a sedentary job or personal life--I'm a live life kind--hockey, snowboarding etc.. :mrgreen:
Learning something new everyday to try to help myself. I hope others get as much out of here. :clap:

Betty/WV
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Betty/WV »

badnights wrote:Betty love, I hope you're feeling better? I bet you're falling asleep because you're dead tired all the time, but I suppose it could be narcolepsy. How have your nights been lately, is the RLS/WED under control? I found that once I got that under control, I still couldn't sleep, until I was prescribed a mild hypnotic to take as well. It has made all the difference. Did you end up taking anything for the depression? Because that can cause insomnia and consequent daytime tiredness, which then causes more depression ad infinitum.

Re muscle cramps. I don't understand them. I never had a problem with cramping (a cramp once every 3 years or so) until the operation that also kicked off my WED. Then I started getting cramps in my lower body (anywhere from butt on down) and hands. It escalated until last year, then stopped when I stopped sports for the summer. Did not re-start even during mountain work in August, did not re-start with hockey season. Just started getting cramps again recently. Can't tie it to anything :?

I try to remember to drink lots of water and eat potassium-bearing foods (bananas).

Another thing that began at the same time and has gotten progressively worse is a loss of muscle strength and coordination in my hands. A sleep doctor told me once that those things are common in RLS but no one knows why - it's a clinical observation of physicians who actually treat sleep disorders, and hasn't made its way into papers written by physicians who do research on sleep disorders, as opposed to treat them. So he implied.



Hi: Thanks for answering my post. These comments are what helps me, because I know you understand what is going on with me. For so many years I was afraid to talk about my condition, people would look at me like I was nuts so I started just keeping it to myself. When I found this site, 7 years ago, it was su ch a relief to be able to sit down and pour my heart out. Even though sometimes I rambled a little to much, but no one cared. They were still there with the kind words. I think that has helped me so much.

I think my WED/RLS is under control, as much as it can be. But I still don't sleep. I think my doctor was surprised when we talked about this, and I told him insomnia was a side affect of WED/RLS. He is a young neuro, and the reason I stick with him is because he is willing to learn about WED/RLS and sincerely is trying to help me.

And I am taking Wellbutrin for the depression. And I think I need something to "wake me up" during the day. I hope this up coming sleep study will give the doctor a clue as what to do next. I think the depression will lessen if I can start driving again. But I am so afraid of driving, afraid I will have a wreck and hurt someone or myself.

This disease is so mysterious, I doubt if anyone will ever sort it all out. Even though we are all different in what helps and what doesn't, we are also the same in so many ways. :roll: :? :(

This morning I do feel a little better. The pain in my leg isnt' so bad. It did hurt in the night.

Thanks again for caring.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Betty/WV »

rthom wrote:wow, you got a case of it.. that's harsh. It's hard to get through the days when everything seems to be out of control. The sleep study sounds like a good plan, it would be nice if they were able to make some suggestions to help sleep at night.

With regards to the pain in your legs it is hard to figure that one out. Maybe it's a rest thing--muscles in need of more? At least for me when the rls/wed is controlled the cramping goes away.
That's what prompted the question as I was told it is not part of the rls but it only happens when the rls is out of control. When it does happen it is unbearable and is strong like a charlie horse and just keeps happening over and over again (like at least 10 time a night, in all different muscles--mostly legs). It goes on night after night.....until i get the rls under control. This also makes me stay on my feet to keep the spasms from happening as much, probably causing it to worsen by wearing down the muscles? Thus the question about secondary problems from the rls/wed.
This only happens when the wed is bad no other time.


Hi rthom
So sorry about the muscle cramps that go on and on. For our friends and family, I wish they could just have one day of what we go through. But only one day, I wouldn't wish this monster on even my worst enemy.

My WED/RLS is pretty much under control. I don't sleep well, but at least I can lie down or sit down. My concentration is not good. I used to be an avid reader. Now I can only read a very short time. And my memory isn't good. But I am 75, so I guess this comes with the territory, plus the WED/RLS.

Take care and I wish you less pain. And pleasant sleep.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

rthom
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by rthom »

wow, 75 that's great. I always like talking to those who have more life experiences. I've always been this way. I find their stories so interesting.
Anyway, I hear you when you say you whis those important to us could really get it. I'm meeting with just such a person in a couple of hours and he seems to see it as blasee (do you understand what word i was trying to spell?)
I can really relate to your sleep thing and the depression, i too don't get much. Case in point i've been asleep and am back on here after only 25 min. I'm sorry for you having to be up like this. Feel free to bend my ear if you wish, i get frustrated and lonely at night too.
Try to have a good morning and it sounds like a great idea to help the young dr learn about this it's like a gift to those who he will be dealing with later.
Randy

cornelia

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by cornelia »

Randy, do you take the Wellbutrin at night or in the morning? Most AD's have to be taken at night but not Wellbutrin becaus it energises you. That is why it can't be taken at night. I know some people make this mistake. Just wanted to mention it.

Corrie

rthom
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by rthom »

I'm not on welbutrin, just bp meds and hydromorph and percacet right now. Helps me get some restful sleep, i awoke (after 24 min) feeling ok this am, usually i feel like crap.
weird eh, but it works-so who am i to complain.

Polar Bear
Moderator
Posts: 8034
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: N. Ireland

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Polar Bear »

Its Betty/WV who is taking the Wellbrutin.
So Betty, please note Corrie's comment that it should be taken in the morning time.
Perhaps this will make a little chink in your insomnia.

We all appear to be in a circle of symptoms, kind of like dominoes, knock one over and x y and z will happen.
antsy, need movement, need sleep, no sleep, low mood, etc. etc. As per the saying 'If we keep doing the same things, the same things continue to happen'''

Things don't change by themselves which is why we tweek our medications, our diet and our lifestyle, on the neverending roundabout of seeking improvement.
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Betty/WV »

Polar Bear wrote:Its Betty/WV who is taking the Wellbrutin.
So Betty, please note Corrie's comment that it should be taken in the morning time.
Perhaps this will make a little chink in your insomnia.

We all appear to be in a circle of symptoms, kind of like dominoes, knock one over and x y and z will happen.
antsy, need movement, need sleep, no sleep, low mood, etc. etc. As per the saying 'If we keep doing the same things, the same things continue to happen'''

Things don't change by themselves which is why we tweek our medications, our diet and our lifestyle, on the neverending roundabout of seeking improvement.




I take 150 mg of Wellbutrin in the morning and 150 mg at night. I could start taking the night dose earlier in the evenning.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear
Moderator
Posts: 8034
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: N. Ireland

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Polar Bear »

Taking the evening dose of Wellbrutin earlier could be an idea, or even check with doc
how much earlier you could take it - like would it be ok to take it morning and lunchtime ??
Betty
http://www.willis-ekbom.org/about-rls-wed/publications
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11 pm
Location: West Virginia, Wild and Wonderful

Re: Calf muscles cramping etc.= WED?

Post by Betty/WV »

Polar Bear wrote:Taking the evening dose of Wellbrutin earlier could be an idea, or even check with doc
how much earlier you could take it - like would it be ok to take it morning and lunchtime ??


All it says on the bottle is take one pill twice a day. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Post Reply