RLS and lumbar radiculopathy.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
PhilGB

RLS and lumbar radiculopathy.

Post by PhilGB »

The Mid-America Neiuroscience Institute surveyed their patients' medical records and found that patients with Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and/or Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) had a high incidence of lumbar radiculopathy. Now I presume this is statistically significant, or why would they mention it? I was really interested in the correlation as my RLS is chiefly in one limb - my left leg, which also experiences numbness from lumbosacral disease. I am confused as to why there should be a relationship as Requip works centrally and not peripherally (I am labeling spinal structures as periphary) and, believe me, my Requip works... and it works wonders. I live in fear of the day I do not have a supply at hand. And am very concerned at the increasing doseage I need to take.
Does anyone else have any knowledge of any studies regarding the possibility of a link?

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS and lumbar radiculopathy.

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wellll.....

There are theories that the cerebrosinal fluid is involved. So, anything related to it could have an impact. Search (Google, etc) on cerebrospinal fluid and RLS and you'll get lots of studies. Mostly related to ferritin and transferrin, but also to dopamine. So, also search of dopamine and spinal cord. Between the two, lots of reading.

We know that there are multiple genes involved, but only about 50% of cases are primary/genetic. The causes for them may differ, depending on genes.

We know that some cases are secondary - diabetes, celiac, Parkinson's, etc.

Of the ones that are idiopathic, damage to the spine could easily be a cause given that there seems to be a LOT of anecdotal evidence pointing to it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

was wondering about how that might apply to those who seem to have had it all their lives and i must wonder about the trauma of birth, adding to it. Like twisting the head and pulling, maybe it's just that little bit too much. Or maybe it has no bearing at all.

badnights

Post by badnights »

interesting thought, rthom.

Phil, there seems to be that bad-back connection in so many of us. There are still RLSers without any apparent spinal problems, but as Ann said, we already know there are multiple genes involved that will create variants of the disease. I'd be interested in hearing more about any research on a potential connection.

Also: have you read about augmentation? Something to be vigilant for if your dose is increasing rapidly. It's not the same as tolerance, it's a totally different nightmare. Low serum ferritin levels have been associated with a greater risk of augmentation; in other words, Requip might work fine if your ferritin is up but wreak havoc and have to be stopped if your ferritin is low. http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=2112

Augementation is a paradoxical worsening of symptoms caused in some people by the dopmainergic drugs (Sinemet/levo-carbidopa, Mirapex/pramipexole, Requip/ropinirole). It is very likley to happen in people with low ferritin levels, and is more likley at higher doses of the medication. Once you have it, increasing the dose increases the augmentation. Sometimes it can be controlled (for a while anyway) by an additional, earlier dose. If you have augmenation, your regular evening dose still works, but you start developing symptoms earlier (before you take it), or in more body parts, or you get more-severe symptoms.

It's best to be aware of it, so you'll notice if it gets worse, and know not to deal with it by taking bigger doses. If it is augmentation and it bothers you, sometimes you can temporarily go off the Requip, clear it out of your system, and start again at a lower dose; but I personally haven't yet heard anyone say that worked for them. Or, you can switch to pramipexole/Mirapex; just because one drug in the DA class makes you augment doesn't mean the others will.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

PhilGB

Post by PhilGB »

Yes, Beth, I am aware of the augmentation problem. So far I haven't hit an upper doseage wall with my Requip, but the trend is worrying.
I feel a bit like a very amateur slueth looking for RLS/back associations when I am sure there are many experts out there with far greater knowledge than I. I am a great believer in data mining, and with so many medical records coming online, I think some very interesting correlations might appear. I don't have access to such wealth of data and I am left trolling the internet, which can be so misleading.
And as in any 'mysterious' disease, there is no shortage of theories and mo shortage of certainties for that matter. Some of the claims worry me. People claiming dramatic cures with magnetic socks and soap between the sheets while wearing holographic ankle bracelets - it makes the disease sound like a joke. RLS in and of itself is an unfortunate name. I fully support the change to WED. If these sound like the ramblings of a desperate person... they are. Future management looks uncertain, but the types of 'cures' that I read about (really, I have read more claims of wizadry in Harry Potter) really does harm serious discussion. I am not ashamed to put my faith in science.