Workplace Accomodation

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
TheDreamer

Workplace Accomodation

Post by TheDreamer »

So, the reason I decided to find out more about WED/RLS was the other day I overheard some people talking about their department dress code. And, a manager piped in that the way around it might be to claim the need for an accommodation due to RLS.

I guess it had never occurred to me that WED would be something that one could get an accommodation for. And, what kind of accommodations could I seek due to WED?

I've always stripped out of my work clothes really fast when I get home (or that I wear only short sleeves year round)....but I've never thought of it as being connected any of the particular problems I have.

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

Chipmunk

Re: Workplace Accomodation

Post by Chipmunk »

I think that would be a tough sell. You would need to find a doctor to write up what type of clothing you could/could not wear, but even with a complete list, I would still think you could find business attire within those parameters. Quite frankly, I'm peeved that your manager would try to milk the ADA so he can wear holey jeans to work. The ADA is a very important piece of legislation that has made it possible for many people to continue working when they otherwise would have quit and should not be invoked so cavalierly.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If my dress code required I wear pantyhose, I'd have to quit...or get an accommodation.

But most normal clothes? I can't see how they'd be an issue. I don't like tight clothes, but I can't think of any reason I'd have to wear them in a business environment.

While my preference once the WED is annoying me is to have NO clothes on, that wouldn't work in the workplace! And, it's not that a specific type of clothes are a problem - I don't want anything touching my skin.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Yeah, I was kind of annoyed by the way the manager just jumped in with the suggestion. Perhaps because I have WED, and I doubt they understand RLS... Though I've never really liked the guy.

Fortunately, the department I'm in currently has no (formal) dress code....so I can wear shorts. And, as I've mentioned I'm rarely seen wearing anything but short sleeve shirts.... And, my manager is pretty accommodating without having to formally request accommodations.

Though sometimes I worry about the day when I'm going to need to document accommodations....

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

rthom

Post by rthom »

This is amazing to me. I also am very interested in how different the symptoms are for people. I used to be not able to tolerate anything on my limbs and made those choices at every chance--out in the snow with shorts and no sleeves etc. Now it is so bad i can't tolerate the breeze of the air on my limbs so i cover up all the time, preferring the consistency of 1 shirt and ants and soft socks over the inconsistent airflow and temperatures. Weird eh?

badnights

Post by badnights »

My workplace accomodation is a table that rises and lowers so I can stand or sit at my computer. My boss, who is a bit unorthodox rescued it from the landfill, so it cost nothing but a bit of time; it used to be an opthamologist's table.

I also strip out of my pants and into sweats as SOON as I get home. I sort of figured it was because I wanted to be able to sit on my legs in wierd positions to still the WED, but I never really thought about it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.