books

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
rthom

books

Post by rthom »

hey folks, having trouble finding the books listing tonight. I'm doing some research and was looking at a book called rls by sudhansu chokroverty, among others. Anyone know how helpful or unhelpful it is? Best liked books?

rthom

Re: books

Post by rthom »

or Medifocus guidebook on: RLS --any readers?

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Yes, I've got it. It is a very well written book on RLS, but not an easy read! I think it is for people who want to have an in-depth knowledge of RLS. Personally, I like it a lot.

Corrie

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks corrie--which one do you have?

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I just saw that Chokroverty isn't the only writer; it;s written together with Early and Allen and Hening. The name is Restless Legs Syndrome!
Corrie

Wassy

Post by Wassy »

the name is just "Restless Legs Syndrome!"?

rthom

Post by rthom »

Thanks again Corrie and you're both right about the name--I have a bad habit of short forming the rls name--sorry about that, and the name thing is true oo, I just thought those having read it would understand the name thing. Tired this week but I will fill in the blanks from now on, thanks again.
Anyway, I'm curious about the Medifocus guide book as well but since the price is over $200. I wanted to ask around first.

badnights

Post by badnights »

The Medi book is only about $25 on amazon, and from what I can see of it on there and on google books, it's a waste of money except for people who have not done any research on their own yet. It seems to be very similar to a book I wasted money on, called "The Official Patient's Sourcebook on ...." (fill in the blank, in this case, Restless Legs Syndrome). Like the Medifocus books, they re-print a lot of the same stuff in the books for each disease (How to find a doctor), and contain only the most basic information that many of us have already found on the internet.

The book Restless Legs Syndrome by Hening, Allen, Chokroverty and Earley that corrie mentioned is indeed awesome. Not for the layman, so you might have to look up some terms, or read things a few times before they make sense. But it's a pretty cool compilation of recent research.

Chokroverty has another one, for laymen, called 100 Questions and Answers about Restless Legs Syndrome. I didn't expect to like it, but I did; there were a few gems of information I hadn't yet discovered elsewhere. I would criticize it mildly for not having the questions listed somewhere (eg. in the table of contents) so stuff is easier to find.

Chokrovery has another book that has been on my wishlist for a while now, and maybe this is the one you meant when you referred to a $200 book? Called Sleep Disorders Medicine. I didn't get it because I had already gotten one called Sleep and Movement Disorders, by Chokroverty, Hening, and Walters, which has a lot of interesting info but goes way beyond RLS; and there are only so many expensive books that I will only read part of that I should indulge in....
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Sorr, I forgot. I have the 100 Q&A's book too in my RLS library! Gosh, don't we have a lot of knowledge between us!
Corrie

rthom

Post by rthom »

the $200+ book is called restless leg syndrome by sudhansu chokroverty and 3 other people

badnights

Post by badnights »

can you send an amazon link, randy?
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

http://www.amazon.com then u have to use the title or the authors

restless legs syndrome By Sudhansu Chokroverty, Wayne A. Henning, Richard Allen, Christopher Earley

badnights

Post by badnights »

OH I GET IT! Amazon has listed the authors in the wrong order! It's a great book, it's the one we were talking about above
The book Restless Legs Syndrome by Hening, Allen, Chokroverty and Earley that corrie mentioned is indeed awesome. Not for the layman, so you might have to look up some terms, or read things a few times before they make sense. But it's a pretty cool compilation of recent research.
You will see it listed twice, once with the authors in the correct order (which has Hening first) , and again with the same picture of the cover, but the author order wrong (with Chokroverty first).

I have started a list of books on the Important Links sticky (in this forum, General RLS). If you scroll down to near the bottom of the first page in Important Links, there is a post by viewsaskew that I have edited to update the links, it is mainly links to the various brochures published by the RLS Foundation. I added the beginnings of a list of books. I will add this book to it as well.