can blood drawn triggered daytime RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
squirmy

can blood drawn triggered daytime RLS?

Post by squirmy »

I had blood drawn yesterday morning, as usual they had trouble getting a vein, and I had fasted for 12 hours so I got pale and dizzy. I just get that way sometimes, when they take blood, like I'm going to faint. The tests are just monitoring tests because I have SLE, with RLS. Then, when I got home some mild RLS symptoms kicked in, and I was very tired and emotional the rest of the day. Last night I couldn't stop crying, typical Lupus thing...but my question is this...have any of you noticed things like blood being drawn to trigger a daytime episode of RLS? I have just recently been having some mile daytime episodes... I take Sinemet at night and it has helped a lot for being able to get to sleep, but RLS will wake me up during night and lingering feelings persist during the day now. Tina

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I can't believe i keep finding things out that sound like my life and i just thought that some of these things are "just who i am".
Is it everyone with RLS that has veins that disappear? I have to have blood drawn from my hands now. I started a list to take to the Neuro on the 28th, is this something I should add to that list?
Tina, I take Trazadone for a muscle relaxer up to 150mg and Etodolade 500 mg for pain plus my Effexor XR at night. I believe the effects are beginning to wear off already. Sleeping now from 12-3, just like before. When i first started the medicine, it was 11-5....
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

SUGAR

veins are hard for me too

Post by SUGAR »

I have had sooo many blood tests to see what the hell is wrong with me the last couple years, and every time no matter who it is, they can never get a good vein. I always have to have the butterfly in the hand after getting poked five or six times and having someone else try, blah blah blah. I guess it's no biggy for me, nursing student and all, better get used to it. but I just thought it was just how I was. Maybe it has something to do with RLS, who knows..
How is everyone? I haven't posted in a while again. I have been on reading a few times. My dad is still in the ICU two months now. He's still on the ventilator and still can't talk. He is making some progress, he can touch his own face and he sticks his tongue out at us and rolls his eyes. Good to know his mind isn't gone. Just keep praying for us it's working. Thanks guys.

Luv ya Sugs

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

My prayers go out to you and your family as well as everyone here and their families. Please God, please take away the evil that has be fallen us all. Amen.
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

Sugs--

My kinda guy... sticking his tongue out and rolling his eyes. Bless his heart! You guys all hang in there!

Squirmy--
Been ages since I've had a blood draw, and at the time it wouldn't have occured to me to wonder if I had RLS that day. The thing that stuck out in my mind from what you said about the day was that you were on the fast and were feeling faint. Being overtired, worn out, or physically stressed (which I think not eating for 12 hours and then going to the doctor qualifies for) are all things that exacerbate my RLS anyway. If you were physically faint, your body was under stress.... whether from the fast or the blood draw or nerves about being at the doctor, or whatever.

The actual blood draw MIGHT be the problem, but seems like the whole situation was fraught with POTENTIAL triggers for RLS, too... at least from MY symptomology.

Didn't someone here say something about no longer giving blood, though, because of iron levels or something related to RLS???????? I was thinking Becat... but I might be totally wrong on that!

Hopefully whoever it was will chime in on this!

Sara :D

becat

Hi everyone

Post by becat »

Hi Everyone,
Squirmy I so sorry sounds like a rough day. I'm not very learned on Lupus, but know it's an emotional ride at the very least, not just a body issues. Hugs to ya. Heck Hugs to all of ya.
Sara, I have to giggle I think I've talked about everything here.
Sugar, I'm so glad to see you and hear that there's still some humor and gusto in your DAD. I'm so sorry to hear that he is still in ICU. The last we spoke it looked as though they would be moving him soon. Give your MOM a hug and take one for yourself from me. Tell your dad to keep up the good work and give all heck anytime he pleases.
Yes, Ann and I have had the conversation before.
I was a big blood and platelet donor for several years. I'm a rare blood type so it's always needed. It was something easy for me to do to help others in quick need and blood can equal life for many.
Platelets were my favorite thing to give, mine are universal, unlike my blood type. I mostly donated to Children's Hospital here in Dallas, cancer kiddos and such.
I did notice that it was very hard for me to give blood, tired and worn out for days. But I felt like it helped with "that time of the month" issues. It was only after I found out about my RLS that I was told not to give donations.
1. It depletes our limit supply of the iron we need.
2. I could be wrong, but I think there is an issues of it being good quality blood for others. Our low iron doesn't always look present as anemic
Or in my case always appeared to be that way until they would do an extended test on it. Ann, posted an article on her starting out information/links. So maybe I should reread that.
As for having blood drawn.......I had it done last week, they took 5 vials for the reg blood work and the extra I asked for ........by the way Ferritin levels are down to 8 for me. So I am carefully going on iron to see if I can raise it. My doc (GP) doesn't want it over 10......we'll see what the sleep doc says.
I wish I could tell you all for sure if it's common or not. I didn't feel well last week and won't have know the difference. You know it's not generally a large amount of blood that is drawn for testing. However, it may be that any upset to the blood supply causes a problem.
Maybe Sara is right, just the body thinking it's supply is in danger causes the uproar. But, I just don't know, it could be possible. I have seen stranger things in the last yr. around here.
By the way, I have great viens, easy to find, easy to hit. Never an issue for me. I'm thin skined but not all that fragile.LOLOLOLOL As I age I'm only going to get more see through. Yeah :roll:
Hugs to all

h0rsehead

blood draws

Post by h0rsehead »

Hi I'm new to this site I just heard about rls.I have not been dx's with it but with what I have been reading I'm pretty sure I have it.I have it in my hole body and have had it since I was little.I have to move my hole body or it will hurt terribly.I was reading about the blood draw thing and my veins are very hard to find they have to poke me 5 or6 times to get a vein and almost every time I pass out and will have seizures.Then I will be very tired and sick for a few days afterward and my body does gerk alot more when I'm tired

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, like Becat, I never have difficulting donating my blood! I have very prominent, easy-to-find veins. Like Becat, I used to give blood regularly and I would always be in an out before people who started before me! My sister doesn't have difficult veins either, but I think my mom does - they roll I think. So, the veins themselves don't appear to be the issue. Like Becat mentioned, it surely must have something to do with the ferritin levels decreasing.

Speaking of ferritin levels, I'm having mine checked this week. Last November it was 8, in early February up to 18, so it will be interesting to see where they are in late April. I haven't noticed any decrease in RLS symptoms as of yet, though. I doubt the levels are up to 50 yet (probably around 30 or so), but I was hoping that just maybe the increased levels would have at least a minor effect :-).

Ann