How many of you are overweight with RLS? Thyroid problems?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hello again Kittykat.

When I first got my diagnosis, I was taking Effexor XR. BRUTAL!

I've gone off of Effexor and am now on Wellbutrin. When I first started on AD's, Wellbutrin was one of the ones that did not work for me.
I think that with seeing a therapist, I was able to have more success now with the Wellbutrin (just my opinion tho). At any rate, I'm now 20LBS LIGHTER!!!!

My weight has been one of the biggest banes of my depression. (won't get into the other stuff) but anyhoo, maybe it would be time for another try?

As for your Doc, if he/she cannot cooperate with you (since you know your body best) get a new Doc.

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

janetw

thyroid, rls, overweight, OH MY.....

Post by janetw »

I'm 52 + 3/4 (53 in September), have RLS (treated with Mirapex) and overweight - mmmm just a tad??, naw....overweight lots at 5' 1/2" and 239.6 (just went to the dr yesterday). In 1977 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after being treated for Graves Disease (common side effect) and after trying many medications that didn't work, have been on Synthroid.

Graves Disease is a form of hypothyroidism. You usually have a goiter (thyroid gland swells and pouches out your neck), are photo-sensitive (sun or bright light hurts your eyes), have buggy eyes (look like they are going to pop out of your head), and tremors - my nuclear med dr. had me up in front of one of his classes. He asked me to hold my right hand out straight from the shoulder and then put a piece of paper on it. The hand was so jittery the paper immediately fell off. My heart rate was about 120/min.

I went to a small local hospital because I felt like I was going to cry, couldn't sit still and felt terrible. The dr. in the ER gave me a couple of Nembutal, told me I was having an anxiety attack, patted me on the head and told me to go home. I didn't.

I live in Seattle, so as soon as I left the first ER with my two little pills I drove down to University Hospital. I walked through the door of the ER and within 5 minutes I was laying on a gurney getting an EKG. The ER doc told me I was NOT having an anxiety attack, but was on the verge of a thyroid storm - not a good thing for a body!!!

After trying to treat the Graves Disease with meds (which didn't work), I was treated with I131 (radioactive isotopes). This basically killed my thyroid, I became hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid ever since. I have tried the generic brand of Synthroid, but I have to take the brand name drug for it to work.

I am also diabetic (diagnosed in 2002) and have severe obstructive sleep apnea (diagnosed 1999).

Losing weight is difficult because of all these things put together, but when my dr & I looked back at June 2004, I weighed over 260...it isn't much, but being down to 239 really isn't bad for someone with all this (and a bunch of other stuff) going on.

I'm going to post a bit...who am I fooling, it won't be a bit, it will be a lengthy missive...in bios. I might not get it all done tonight since my shoulders and wrists preclude my spending any length of time at the computer right now.

Ummm...can't remember where I was going with this, but who cares, as long as the drugs work - and right now they do. Anyway, I do think these things all fit together somehow in the larger picture of health and life. We are like a jigsaw puzzle that is almost done; only we just can't find the one piece that would make it a complete picture.

Ta for now...

Janet

kittykat

RlS, weight, and thyroid

Post by kittykat »

Hi,
I've had Thyroid trouble and a goiter since I was real young. I only started taking thyroid pills 20 years ago. My goiter doesn't show up any more. I never had any of the other symtoms,just a moderate size goiter. Lately it seems like they can't keep my dosage regulated. I am also diabetic. I only have to take Avandia. If I could lose a bunch of weight I think my sugar would be normal. I'm also on Paxil and the Dr said the Avandia and Paxil would make me gain weight. I can't win for losing. Paxil's th only thing that keeps me from having panic attacks. I am only 5ft 2in and weigh way over 200. I feel like I'm drowning in my weight. I stay depressed and ashamed of myself all the time. That probably makes my RLS worse. I don't eat alot but try telling a Dr that. I have had back surgery and need knee surgery so I don't get much exercise. I guess I better go for now. I'm feeling too sorry for myself and I don't like that. It just seems so hopeless sometimes.
Thanks for being there
kittykat

Kris

Post by Kris »

I'm overweight! ME ME

lol

I'm fat. My son says I have a jiggly fat mama belly. I do.

Anyway, I was thin most of my life even with RLS. My weight problem started when the tarsal tunnel in my foot started and I got to where i couldn't walk.

I was always very thin most of my life and very, very active. I had a huge appetite but was a size 5. Then boom, I had an accident and that was 9 years ago and I've not been able to walk more than a block since, and that is only on very good days. I can do a grocery store shop trip but it kills me after.

The appetite is still there though. I flat stay hungry.

sleepless in ala

Overweight and Sleep

Post by sleepless in ala »

Kitty Kat, ask for lunesta, when you go to your Dr., really helps with the sleep, non narcotic, safer than most sleep aids, so they don't mind as much prescribing it.
I'm overweight too, but when I first got RLS symptoms, I was about 30 lbs lighter, been tested for the thyroid problems, all negative, I've wondered about the weight too, you've got to figure it's rough on the legs the more they have to carry around. It is strange that so many with RLS do have the weight problem.

kittykat

Sleepless Too

Post by kittykat »

Hi.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask my DR about Lunesta when I go. I also want to ask him about Requip. It was just approved by the FDA.
Theres so much out there and a person can't afford to try everything.
I take so many pills that I hate taking more but I have to do something if I ever want to get any sleep. I'm not any good for me or anyone else. Hope you can get some sleep and thanks again. P.S I'm way overweight because of the Paxil I'm taking. I guess I can either quit Paxil and go crazy or keep gaining weight and die from a stroke or heart attack. Some choice uh.
kittykat

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

God love each and everyone of you. Makes me shudder the experiences we have with the medical professionals...dang bit my tongue...

Just brief comment on weight. Watched a program last night in which they determined that people who have sleep deprivation... gain weight because (now if I were Ann I would be more specific with identifying the hormones and I have it written down at home), but for now - people who have less than 7 hours of sleep a night, their bodies begin to store fat regardless.

Explains well enough for me why during the couple of weeks I was experiencing RLS crisis with 2-3 hours sleep a night I gained almost ten pounds even though I hadn't changed my eating patterns. And after the body settled back into the pre-crisis mode I am back down to my normal weight.

***********Positive thoughts to all********* Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You made me giggle, Hazel. I remember about 1/100th of what I read and hear! I'd have forgotten to write it down, too! Ever notice that my posts always say the same thing? That's because that is all I have memorized :lol: and it's a great way to fool people into thinking I'm smart 8) .

I sure wish that our bodies could adapt and evolve more quickly. While it might have made some kind of survival sense for our species to do this, it certainly doesn't help me out any! We're anxious from RLS, so we eat. We're awake more hours, so we have more time to eat. We don't get enough sleep, so our bodies prevent us from losing weight. I don't like the way this all adds up! No wonder I'm fat.

Ann

kittykat

60 and fat

Post by kittykat »

Hi,
Boy you can say that again Ann. Sometimes I think we can't win for losing. I started taking Requip and so far it seems to have stopped my RlS ( knock on wood ), but it's been so long since I've been able to sleep that I just layed there half the night and could't sleep . At least I don't have to worry about going to work anymore. I'd never make it if I did. I've gained so much weight since I started Paxil and can't sleep. I heard that too about the weight and sleep. Monday I turn 60 so I am not very cheerful. It's not much fun to look in the mirror and just see a fat old woman. Where did the years go? My sister died when she was 61 and she had battled weight all her life. It was her heart. As I get closer to 61 the more anxious I get. I wish I could lose weight, it might help, but I don't eat alot anyway and I have to starve myself to lose a few pounds. I just don't have the willpower to do that.
Kitty

cc2

Post by cc2 »

Hi All~
I am new to all this but since I found this sight I have found alot of information. I also wondered if there is a conection with thyroid and RLS
Mother and Sister have RLS both are being treated for hypothyroid. I have
one sister who has graves, but I am so new to this I have not had a chance to talk to her yet about RLS. And yes I am over weight (yuck).
In my post on the newbie board I was also wondering if anyone else has
memory problems? Is that part of sleep deprevation I always though it might be. Sure is embarrising though at times. I also have had 2 c-sections but my rls symptoms started way before. It is so nice to have someone to talk about this icky leg ankle thing with !!!! :)
What a long strange trip it has been
CC

kittykat

Thyroid and RLS

Post by kittykat »

Hi CC,
I have Hypothyroidism and I'm way overweight. I also have memory loss, but I just thought it was stress and age. I don't know if theres a connection between RLS and thyroid trouble. My mother had RLS but not Thyroid trouble. My RLS is in my feet and I've had it all my life. I've also had thyroid trouble all my life. I take Requip for my RLS and it really helps. I wish losing weight was that easy. I take Paxil and it flat puts the weight on me.
Good Luck and Welcome
Kitty

cc2

Post by cc2 »

Hi kittykat,
Sorry response is slow but computer has been down. my sisters and my Mother have rls and thyroid problems. I take Lexapro , and my sisters and mother are on anti-depresants also. Like you I thought the memory loss was due to stress and age ( I am 47) It is 1:20 a.m. where I am at and I am up because my ankles are driving me crazy. I don't have rls symptoms every night or all the time when I rest , just when I am overly tired or stress gets the best of me. I made the mistake of taking some tylenol before bed tonight and well here I am . And that is extra strenght
tylenol not pm. Some times if I have had a really restless night the rls will follow me into the morning hrs. after I have had little rest I wake up with it . The memory thing can be a hazard as I am the manager of 116
unit apartment complex, and multi- tasking is my middle name! You should see all the post-its in my office. My district manager says I need to get
organized, I will as soon as I can remeber where I put my day runner lol !
CC
What a long strange trip it has been
CC

AriaDragonfly

Well

Post by AriaDragonfly »

I am a completely healthy 18 year old girl who is not overweight at all (im completely in my target range weighing 150 lbs and standing 5'8.5") I have no medical problems besides for lower levels of iron. I suffer from a severe case of RLS though(seeing as Im typing this at 6 am ><) So I wouldnt count on it only being connected to weight or....hyperwhatever.

umpwidow

Post by umpwidow »

Perhaps this has gotten a little off.

Hypothyroidism is listed as a cause of RLS. Not everyone with RLS has hypothyroidism, and it is not the sole cause of RLS. There are many causes for RLS.

However, we all relate to your situation with the RLS and I hope you find out how to treat your specific RLS.

I've found that my RLS appears to be directly linked to the hyperglycemia which is a result of my hypothyroidism. For me, if I keep the hyperglycemia in check and the thyroid in check, the RLS stays away.

In retrospect, I showed signs of hyperglycemia in high school and began showing signs of hypothyroidism after my first child.

I suggest the We Move web site. You might find some information there regarding causes of RLS which may be helpful to you.

Good luck on your journey.

Jamie