Falling Asleep at Wheel Solutions

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
majoraward

Falling Asleep at Wheel Solutions

Post by majoraward »

I had to go to our medical facility at our company awhile back to be able to return to work from a bout of RLS/WED where I had gone through augmentation. The nurse there gave me a device that I didn't even know existed. In case there was anyone else who had not heard of them I am creating this topic (there could be an old thread about it for all I know but if so this will push it to the top again).

She actually gave me this device called DOZE by Sav-A-Life available on Amazon.com. I know it is available there because having used it a couple of days, and being woken by it at a traffic light once, I prompty lost it! My wife and I tore the house and cars apart looking for it and never did. I have been to many doctors over the years who knew I had sleep problems but no one ever mentioned this type of device to me before. I sent her a company award for telling me about it (which you can do at my job once in a great while lol).

I'm writing about it today because while it costs $29 on Amazon.com they have many to choose from, and less expensive. It may be better but I wanted to find out. I now have sitting before me 3 new ones. One is called Nod Alert, another is Driver Alarm, and the third is Wake-Up. The nice thing about the one I lost is it comes with its own box and adhesive under the box that you can attach to the dash of your car so it is always there (too bad I didn't do that immediately lol). They cost between $2 and $10. The reason I purchased them is that I wanted one to keep in my wife's car and mine, with a spare backup. It may be that they don't work as well as the DOZE but I guess I will find out.

I forgot to mention how they work. You turn them on of course, they come with batteries like for watches or hearing aids and then they fit over your ear. When your head nods downward from falling asleep they make a noise and/or vibrate to wake you up. I just think they are the neatest thing for RLS/WED individuals. I am going to keep the spare at work and wear it when I am very tired so I don't get in trouble for nodding off.

A good search for them at Amazon or Google is "alert doze". No doubt many are cheap but then I think many probably work well like the DOZE. The DOZE also has an adjustable level so that it will go off at a certain level of head movement which I had just been experimenting with when I lost it :( Anyway I will experiment with these (which combined cost was less than the DOZE) and see how they work. I would certainly pay more than $29 for a better quality one but I couldn't find anything better. I hope this doesn't break some rule of posting, and no I am not making a buck off these :) but I think these are life savers for sure for people that nod off and I am sure they could be used for many applications besides just driving. Such as I was thinking they might be good to wear while I was on couch waiting for meds to kick in, as soon as I nodded off it would wake me up and off to bed I would go - I will have to try it.

badnights

Re: Falling Asleep at Wheel Solutions

Post by badnights »

very useful!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Who knew? Thanks for posting this. It could definitely help someone.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

My experimenting will be limited to trying them out while sitting on couch recliner to wake me up to go to bed after I fall to sleep (I will be home for 6 weeks after the surgery and at the moment it is tough going}. I forgot about it last night but will try today. I did test to see if they all work and they do, one even has an adustment level lever which is nice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A pretty neat piece of equipment. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

It does sound like a neat piece of equipment. I'll just add that I had a real problem with getting drowsy while driving. For years two or three times a week I'd have to stop at a Mall or other safe place and take a ten minute nap. Then my doctor told me I was very low in vitamin D. As soon as I got my vitamin D level up, the drowsiness stopped. In fact, now I keep some D pills in my glove compartment, and take a little extra if I'm going to be driving a long trip.

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

jul2873 wrote:It does sound like a neat piece of equipment. I'll just add that I had a real problem with getting drowsy while driving. For years two or three times a week I'd have to stop at a Mall or other safe place and take a ten minute nap. Then my doctor told me I was very low in vitamin D. As soon as I got my vitamin D level up, the drowsiness stopped. In fact, now I keep some D pills in my glove compartment, and take a little extra if I'm going to be driving a long trip.

That's awesome about vitamin D. I take it too per my doctor's advice, D3, besides a lot of other supplements like melatonin, iron, B12, and multivitamins. I'm glad you posted this because I had almost forgotten about this thread.

I did have a chance to use all 3 of these devices and they all 3 work. The cheapest even works but it is a little larger, clumpier maybe lol, so it fits okay but it takes up more room. The one I like the best is streamlined and smaller with an adjustment for the tilt of the head. I think it was around $8.00. I would rather have the $29.00 one though but really it is not 4 times better lol.

I did end up putting one in my wife's car, my car, and I have one in my desk at work. Problem now (if you want to call it a problem) is that my meds, and probably the Iron Infusion shot, are working so I haven't been using them because I'm not getting sleepy. I know they all work though or I wouldn't have put them in each car and at work.

These gadgets are very inexpensive and can SAVE YOUR LIFE (and maybe someone elses too). If you have trouble nodding off, especially at the wheel or at your job get one, two, or three! :lol:

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thank you, thank you. I didn't know such a device existed. I was falling asleep driving and had a really close call. So I didn't drive for over a year. Really is depressing, when you can't drive. I have started back but am very careful and don't drive very far or for very long. I am still nervous about driving. I'm going to check Amazon.com as soon as I finish here.

I haven't been on the discussion board for a good while. And got a nice email from Polar Bear, checking on me. I always enjoyed this site and in my very worse times this board was such a help. So I will be back more often. Take care all. And thanks again for the information about the DOZE etc. Even though my RLS is doing well with the Mirapex, I still don't sleep well, my doctor even said I was sleep deprived.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear is such a lovely person. I'm so glad I know her.

Let us know how the device works for you, Betty. I hope it's very successful in helping you stay safe and be able to keep driving.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Ok, I'll let you all know how it works. I ordered 2 different ones last night from Amazon.com. They have them at all different prices. And they did have the one the person posted about, that he lost, called Doze, for $29. I ordered 2 of the cheaper ones. If they don't work well I will order Doze. :D So happy to find out about this device.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thanks again, Majoraward
:D :D

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

Betty/WV wrote:Thanks again, Majoraward
:D :D

I just hope they work for you! Tip about wearing them. After you have learned how to use it - turn device on only after you put it on your ear and have it set as you would like it on your ear or it will scream at you - :lol: - large portion of device goes to back of ear - these were two things that I had to figure out the hard way. :roll: