Standing Desk

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Chipmunk

Standing Desk

Post by Chipmunk »

Since many of us have difficulty sitting down for any length of time, a standing desk might help. Most of them are hundreds of dollars but this would be a good alternative if you wanted to try one before requesting a "real" one at work, or if you wanted one at home.

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Re: Standing Desk

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great post, Tracy! Thanks for finding and linking to it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I put a coffee table on top of my desk and could stand to work as necessary.
Fortunately I was not in public view.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

I was made to sit by WSIB (at thier retraining that the dr disagreed with) because even though the dr said I shouldn't sit (and it hurt alot), they decided a standung desk, or a kneeling chair was a foolish thing. I taught them---quit their program---lacking the money wasn't smart, but finally after over a year I had control of my lfe and my body--yahooo!! :shock: :lol: :roll: In retrospect I'm not sure I won that one--but It was one less person compliczting my life. :D

badnights

Post by badnights »

I stand up almost all the time. At home, I stand at the kitchen counter to read, eat, or (now that I have wireless) use my laptop; and in my "office" room, I have a bookshelf that I screwed legs to, that I use to raise my keyboard and mouse, and a cardboard box for the laptop.

At my office, my supervisor (who is a great spendthrift) rescued an optometrist's table that has a motor that raises and lowers it. I gave it a "new" top (from an old table) and now can raise and lower my desk to suit myself, it's the greatest thing ever and I wish I had it at home too!

Rthom I wonder if you hadnt been so tired, would you have been able to communicate to them that you had a movement disorder that required standing? Or did you even know at that point?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Yah they knew but it wasn't their problem, just the back was their concern--but i needed more for my back than for the rls! It's a WSIB moment i guess

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

WSIB ???
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

Workers compensation board. If you get hurt on the job they own you! ahhhhhh cra..

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

This is an old discussion thread that I am going to bump up to today because it is a great "coping" tool for RLS. The cost of these desks in 2015 run from about $600 to as much as you want to spend. They quickly adjust so that you can sit at them when your feet get too tired or you can raise them and work ergonomically while standing. I just got one for my home office and now wish that I done it years ago.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.