NCV/EMG Nerve Tests? Anyone familiar with these?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Anonymous

NCV/EMG Nerve Tests? Anyone familiar with these?

Post by Anonymous »

My neurologist has scheduled NCV/EMG nerve tests for me. They sound painful, and I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Will having these tests make any difference in the treatment of my RLS? I am currently taking Mirapex, and it has worked very well for me. The doctor said she wants to rule out any disease as the cause of my RLS. I have had this for about 20 years or so.

Does anyone have any experience with these tests?

becat

Hi ya

Post by becat »

Hi ya Restless,
Yup I know about the test. I have a couple of ideas for ya.
It is painful, your right. Did I take the test? NO. But I'm not as nice as many people. I had growing pains as a kid and knew RLS was my battle. Only because I had really good educators here. Doc. did not like my opinion and we had it rough for about a year after that. Maybe I felt like I had enough on my plate with RLS and didn't want to know anything else. Either way, I refused.
My sister in law had just six months before gone though all of the test my doc wanted from the neuro....she has MS.
When I heard that he wanted these test for me, I called her and talk to her about it. That's how I knew what they were for and how they were going through them.

Ok, as for good advice now....LOL It is always good to know exactly what your dealing with. Most testing that is handed out to any of us is to rule out tons of other stuff, leaving you with a strong indication of RLS. It's not fair, but it is the way most docs work. No there really isn't a certain test that says you have RLS. Your blood ferritin level should be checked. Low ferritin can be used to diagnosis RLS. No xray will show it. No MRI will show it.
The fact that your doing well with Mirapex is a good test. How long have you been on it? You could do well on mirapex for years. There are many that get effect treatment with it.
Are you new to the RLS diagnosis maybe?
Did you have growing pains as a child? Does anyone else show signs of RLS in your family?
Having the results from your test is what really effects your treatment. But honestly, if your truely not comfortable call your doctor back and ask for her to tell you why she thinks you need them. Tell her your concerns.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the information. Since there is no cure for RLS, I'm not sure what the point of the tests are. I guess if the RLS is caused by some kind of nerve disease, they may be able to treat the disease, but I don't know of anyone who has "been cured" of RLS by treating nerve disease. Is there anyone who has experienced this?

As I mentioned in another post, my father has RLS - severely. He just recently started taking Mirapex (he was on Requip which wasn't consistently helping), and has had wonderful results. I don't recall if I had growing pains as a child, but my oldest child certainly did! Oh, no. I've been taking Mirapex for two years now. I only notice a problem if I fail to take the medication early on in the evening. However, lately I have been taking it later at night and still having success with the results.

I have a very low iron level. My doctor put me on 65 mg. of iron a day. I guess I would be considered anemic.

I've had enough pain lately, so I may pass on the tests. I'm going to call the doctor and talk to her about it to see if she strongly recommends the tests or if she thinks it would "be nice" for me to take the tests. There is a big difference between the two attitudes to me!

becat

Love It......

Post by becat »

Ooo I love that, "would be nice or strongly recommends" That is by far a great giggle today. :lol:
I'm using that one next time, for sure. Thank you for those words.

Restless, I have to tell you , my opinion only, nope no medical degree....Yup, RLS is a genetic gift to you. Mirapex is working for the most part. Why not deal with the pain as an RLS issue? That would certainly throw me after two years and your family history. Not saying there couldn't be another reason, but heck common sense is free, just have to use it. I don't blame you for not wanting the test.....Some think that over half of us RLSers suffer painful RLS.

I know that one of the reasons my doc wanted the test for me was that I had broken my leg and ankle in 95......I'm sure he thought that there must be nerve damage due to that. I might agree, but it didn't take into account the pain in my other leg.....sorry to not have mentioned that before. As for pain, I know now that RLS can be painful. I'm wondering if there is a cutoff to the "unpleasant sensations" list. I thought pain was an unpleasant sensation! LOL Laymen's thoughts.
Glad your here, we'll probably learn tons from your family's experiences.
I know someone else has had these test and sure would love to hear from them.
Hugs to all.

Post by Guest »

I don't think I would describe my RLS as "painful." It's uncomfortable, of course, because of the way my legs DEMAND that I move them when I least want to!

However, I do occasionally have a shooting pain down the middle/slightly left of my right thigh when I stand up to walk. No one has been able to figure out what is causing that. Perhaps that alone warrants the nerve tests??

I am going to mull this over. I have a couple of weeks to decide.