Plagues of Egypt Pestering Me or RLS/WED?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Plagues of Egypt Pestering Me or RLS/WED?

Post by EeFall »

Okay so this is pretty weird, strange, and weird again but I was wondering if anyone else had this and/or knew what it was - I seem to move around all the time for no reason at all - :lol: just kidding, of course I do but here is the real question - ta -da!

I keep getting sores in my nostrils that form terrible ugly gross scabs, and no I don't pick my nose :sick: I finally started putting antibiotic ointment (neosporin) in my nose and it cleared it up. After a few days it came back so I am doing the same thing.

Next - I am getting these little straight cracks on both sides of my thumb nails that extend from side of nail outward towards end of thumb. Very painful splits that even bleed. I put neosporin on them too and bandages and they clear up for a few days and then come back.

Next - My head is full of bumps similar to pimples and they also are very painful, they are just in the hair. I have been washing with special shampoos my wife found that are suppose to relieve the symptoms but don't do much. It itches terribly, sometimes in night I get up and I'm scratching like crazy.

I already have a very bad case of RLS, believe me it is B A D, but this stuff seems like it is out of the bible or something like the plagues of Egypt or something. I keep wondering if they might be symptoms of RLS/WED maybe later stage where the endings of the nerves are becoming sensitive. I know it sounds gross but Man I gotta know what is going on!

Thanks in advance for any info you have on this :D

rthom

Re: Plagues of Egypt Pestering Me or RLS/WED?

Post by rthom »

Have you got exema? I get exema and it gets worse for a few different reasons--heat, dryness, stress and poisens in my system--(medications, tylenol etc.).
My exema does come on my scalp, hands and I do get sores in my nose when i don't drink enough water and my exema is bugging at the same time.
Is your nose kind of itchy, like you want to rub it with the back of your hand every now and again? Allergies can do this as well

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just a few thoughts: could your immune system be low.
Could it be a skin single infection linking them. Nose, scalp and skin beside fingernails.
Bumps in the scalp also sound like 'blind spots' ..... like a spot that doesn't come to a head. I know someone who has this over their torso.
Do you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when doing manual work or in water, especially where household cleaning stuff is involved, and use good quality cuticle softener at all times to keep the skin from drying out.
Also perhaps low in a Vitamin.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

What comes to my mind first is dryness, since it's winter. Add humidity in your house, maybe? Add a good lotion on your hands, like gold bond healing lotion. Put it on morning and night. Keep it up even after your hands heal. But your nose makes me think of MRSA, staph infection. If it is, a little antibiotic oint in the nose won't heal it. I had MRSA. I had to use a special body wash, a special nose antibiotic and special hair shampoo. Plus oral antibiotics. I can't remember how long I had to do it. I had to do all of it every day. It was a pain, since it really dries out your skin. I think it was about two weeks. The only way you will know for sure is to have a doctor do a culture from your nose.
But first I would do the lotion, antibiotic oint in nose and maybe dandruff shampoo for your head. Your nose could just be drying out. After that heals use something in your nose at night to keep it moist. Keep up the dandruff shampoo even after it heals. Then if it all comes back, go to the doctor to see if it's MRSA.
Good luck.
DEB

badnights

Post by badnights »

The only times i had similar things were from working outside in the cold . my inside-the-nose scab came from the nose constantly running, I think,maybe initiated by catching a rock chip in the nose (from hammering on the rock). The cracked fingertips definitely came from handling rocks in the cold a lot.

The bumps in your scalp sound like something my ex-husband used to get in his beard that was an infection of some kind. Deb"s thoughts on infection sound the most likely answer
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Wow, thanks everyone for your ideas and insights. I guess it doesn't have anything to do with RLS then other than I probably spend all my time fighting it and I'm wornout. Btw I do use gloves about half the time working outside but never inside, probably should, especially with my thumbs both hurting. I will have to look up MRSA, never heard of it. I will re-read all the replies again when I get home from work. Thanks again!

rthom

Post by rthom »

One other note--If you are dehydrating your heart rate will likely be elivated--So if any of your troubles are being agrivated by dryness or dehydration, you might get a clue by simply checking your heart rate. (assuming you know what it normally is like)
Good luck with it!

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:What comes to my mind first is dryness, since it's winter. Add humidity in your house, maybe? Add a good lotion on your hands, like gold bond healing lotion. Put it on morning and night. Keep it up even after your hands heal. But your nose makes me think of MRSA, staph infection. If it is, a little antibiotic oint in the nose won't heal it. I had MRSA. I had to use a special body wash, a special nose antibiotic and special hair shampoo. Plus oral antibiotics. I can't remember how long I had to do it. I had to do all of it every day. It was a pain, since it really dries out your skin. I think it was about two weeks. The only way you will know for sure is to have a doctor do a culture from your nose.
But first I would do the lotion, antibiotic oint in nose and maybe dandruff shampoo for your head. Your nose could just be drying out. After that heals use something in your nose at night to keep it moist. Keep up the dandruff shampoo even after it heals. Then if it all comes back, go to the doctor to see if it's MRSA.
Good luck.
DEB

I have been doing many of these things already. As far as nose I'm trying the antibiotic ointment another week twice a day without fail and see what happens after stopping it for a few days. I have a feeling, unfortunately, that you are correct, that it is MRSA or something like it after reading up on it. That stuff can be dangerous, so then I will go see doctor and have it tested.

I basicly always use dandruff shampoo so my wife talked to some people that recommended a couple of shampoos that I am now trying that they say will get rid of my condition (although the first one did not work). Now on second one so will see if it does anything. Hand lotion I hate - I think it is a guy thing lol - I also hate carrying anything that won't fit in my pockets and actually prefer nothing but keys, billfold, and comb lol. I think the cracked thumbs happen much more in winter...I have been washing my hands a lot due to working on things around the house a lot.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

rthom wrote:One other note--If you are dehydrating your heart rate will likely be elivated--So if any of your troubles are being agrivated by dryness or dehydration, you might get a clue by simply checking your heart rate. (assuming you know what it normally is like)
Good luck with it!

Read up on eczema and I don't think I have it. My heart rate is always pretty slow, just had it checked a week or so ago at a doctor's appointment, same as always.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:Just a few thoughts: could your immune system be low.
Could it be a skin single infection linking them. Nose, scalp and skin beside fingernails.
Bumps in the scalp also sound like 'blind spots' ..... like a spot that doesn't come to a head. I know someone who has this over their torso.
Do you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear rubber gloves when doing manual work or in water, especially where household cleaning stuff is involved, and use good quality cuticle softener at all times to keep the skin from drying out.
Also perhaps low in a Vitamin.

Almost NEVER NEVER NEVER wear rubber gloves when doing manual work, or in water, or with houshold cleaning stuff. I'm bad. Also I have NEVER used cuticle softener lol. I know of course you are correct about all this now if we could just teach an old dog new tricks :lol:

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

badnights wrote:The only times i had similar things were from working outside in the cold . my inside-the-nose scab came from the nose constantly running, I think,maybe initiated by catching a rock chip in the nose (from hammering on the rock). The cracked fingertips definitely came from handling rocks in the cold a lot.

The bumps in your scalp sound like something my ex-husband used to get in his beard that was an infection of some kind. Deb"s thoughts on infection sound the most likely answer

Yeah, I think Deb hit it on the nail, darn. I have been working out in cold, well it is winter :) I suppose the cracking nails could be made worse by that and the hair might be an infection I think too, but hopefully this next shampoo will help or I suppose I should ask a doc about it - I hate doctors btw.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I get cracks near the fingernails that you're taking about, mostly in the winter. Very painful, like an exposed nerve. It's just dryness. What I use is a lotion called Aquaphor (Eucerin) at night and it will generally clear them up or at least stop the pain in one or two nights. Spread it on the fingertips. It's pretty greasy and doesn't dry out like a regular hand lotion. So you can't apply it and, say, type on your compute unless you want the keys all greasy.

There is also a lotion I found called "Working Hands" (not completely sure about the name) that you can use during the day, that works just as well, only not as greasy. Since I started using this, I've been able to head off most of the painful cracks.

Don't ever use the "liquid bandaid" stuff in the cracks. It will give you temporary relief, but as it eventually hardens and dries out over the next few days, it will hurt even worse. If you do use it, still apply the Aquaphor at night over it, you need to get some moisture back into it.

Hope this helps

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Wayne wrote:I get cracks near the fingernails that you're taking about, mostly in the winter. Very painful, like an exposed nerve. It's just dryness. What I use is a lotion called Aquaphor (Eucerin) at night and it will generally clear them up or at least stop the pain in one or two nights. Spread it on the fingertips. It's pretty greasy and doesn't dry out like a regular hand lotion. So you can't apply it and, say, type on your compute unless you want the keys all greasy.

There is also a lotion I found called "Working Hands" (not completely sure about the name) that you can use during the day, that works just as well, only not as greasy. Since I started using this, I've been able to head off most of the painful cracks.

Don't ever use the "liquid bandaid" stuff in the cracks. It will give you temporary relief, but as it eventually hardens and dries out over the next few days, it will hurt even worse. If you do use it, still apply the Aquaphor at night over it, you need to get some moisture back into it.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, I will see about getting some of the lotion. The liquid bandaid warning is too late though lol, I tried that before and it was a real bad experience as you know. Yes, it feels like "an exposed nerve" incredible how painful such a little crack can be, it is worse too because one uses their thumbs all day especially if they are in a job like mine that requires a lot of typing.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

EeFall wrote:Thanks for the info, I will see about getting some of the lotion. The liquid bandaid warning is too late though lol, I tried that before and it was a real bad experience as you know. Yes, it feels like "an exposed nerve" incredible how painful such a little crack can be, it is worse too because one uses their thumbs all day especially if they are in a job like mine that requires a lot of typing.

Hope it works for you. Also "Working Hands" is the name of the hand cream, which is better for the workday. I saw a commercial for it on HGTV and found it for sale at Bed Bath and Beyond of all places. My doctor told me bluntly that the reason that I'm having these issues is because I'm getting older and no longer have the skin of a young kid.

If the problems persist, then you should definitely see a doctor or dermatologist. Or see one anyway. Never bad advice to see a doctor.

I forgot to mention I also occasionally have the nose bricks (as I call them). My doctor told me to do exactly what you already figured out, Neosporin.

And I've always used a dandruff shampoo.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Wayne wrote:
EeFall wrote:Thanks for the info, I will see about getting some of the lotion. The liquid bandaid warning is too late though lol, I tried that before and it was a real bad experience as you know. Yes, it feels like "an exposed nerve" incredible how painful such a little crack can be, it is worse too because one uses their thumbs all day especially if they are in a job like mine that requires a lot of typing.

Hope it works for you. Also "Working Hands" is the name of the hand cream, which is better for the workday. I saw a commercial for it on HGTV and found it for sale at Bed Bath and Beyond of all places. My doctor told me bluntly that the reason that I'm having these issues is because I'm getting older and no longer have the skin of a young kid.

If the problems persist, then you should definitely see a doctor or dermatologist. Or see one anyway. Never bad advice to see a doctor.

I forgot to mention I also occasionally have the nose bricks (as I call them). My doctor told me to do exactly what you already figured out, Neosporin.

And I've always used a dandruff shampoo.

My last day for the week long Neosporin test was yesterday, actually last night the last time I used it. I want to see if/when it comes back and then if it does come back I'm going to doc and talk about it. I would hate to find out it is the MESA or whatever it is called. One thing about the Neosporin, it stays gone as long as I use it which is interesting in itself. My wife in the last week has also changed all the hand soap and soft soap in the house to some special organic soap that is suppose to be good on my hands and she has gotten me now a third shampoo that is suppose to help. Actually the second one I tried has helped some so maybe this next one will be even better. Yes, I'm getting older for sure. I was talking to someone about using the dimmer switch in my car when I was a teenager with my left foot and they looked at me as though I had lost my mind lol.