Migraine's and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
srherendeen

Migraine's and RLS

Post by srherendeen »

I have had migraine's for years. They seem to be brought on when under stress. I am just wondering if anyone else has had migraines and rls and if there is any correlation with the two

rthom

Re: Migraine's and RLS

Post by rthom »

I get migranes but they go in waves---none for like 10 yrs then a few years every few months---in my case I think it's a chemical thing--just feels that way, but don't know what is setting it off. Guaranteed no matter what I do or take it wil last for 3 days--blind and puking and passing out, over and over till the third day--then it starts to ease my sight starts to come back stomach settles and I awaken fully---ps the rls rages the whole time--badly

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Quite a few of us have them - I've seen several people post about them over the years I've been here. I've never read anything to link them - at least can't recall if I have!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

wonder if we have the same type of migranes? Does my experience sound like everyone elses?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

From my memory, we all have them differently.

I can't think of anything that we all have the same....except the misery of not getting helpful treatment!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

That's what I thought too. :roll: Just nosy.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I get the aura but not the pain. (thank you thank you thank you thank you)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have suffered from migraines for about as many years as WED/RLS. I did an internet search on both, on a whim. I got a number of hits that indicate that there may be a connection and that research may eventually find a common cause. Here is a link to a somewhat recent technical paper that reviewed past publications.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139066/

Steve
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

About a month or two ago, we posted a link to a study. I think he got about 450 or so responses - I saw the study results a few days ago. He found a correlation between WED/RLS, bruxism, and migraines, I believe. I meant to post about it....not sure if I did or not.

Managing Your RLS

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I found the bruxism/migraine/WED study after my previous post. Here is the link:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ANA/42345

In addition there is a new study that looked at the treatment of migraines with pramipexole. The initial results on a very small group looked promising, although they admitted that they could not explain why an AD would be effective in the prevention migraines when previous work had shown that antagonists were more effective at relief and DA's made the migraine worse. But, all in all, interesting correlations that could help further expand research interest. http://www.tremorjournal.org/index.php/ ... e/view/176

Steve
Steve

aveerik

Post by aveerik »

I don't get migraines but I have severe bruxism, have had it for as long as I can remember. Have had my jaw lock open after hitting a squirrel and screaming and had to have surgery on both sides. I am lucky to have really hard teeth because I clench so bad I have dents in the one porcelain crown that I have. Does anyone else clench their teeth really bad? I think everyone in my family that has WED clenches their teeth pretty bad while sleeping. I clench all day and all night. I also clench my hands into fists while relaxing or sleeping, anyone else do that?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

From the age of around 14 I always had dreadful migraine headaches, they plagued me until I was about 48 years.
All my adult life I have clenched and grinded. One night not so long ago hubby woke me cos he thought I was going to break my teeth.
When I was about 24 years my jaw went into spasm and I had to have a general anaesthetic to release it. When I awoke from the anaesthetic my jaw locked again and stayed that way for several days.
(After I divorced and consequently met and married my present husband my migraines stopped)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I also grind my teeth and get hormonal migraines. I first found out I grind my teeth when I was 20 and my ears started hurting - it was referred pain from the joint. I didn't get WED until I was 33, so I'm not sure about a common cause for me.

My mom also grinds her teeth badly - she wore her teeth down so badly that she had to get crowns over 20 of them. I think of what she had to go through whenever I consider going to bed without my bite guard! Oh, and she doesn't have WED.

I do appreciate this researcher thinking about a common cause for these disorders, though. I feel like WED especially is one of those diseases that is a symptom of another background disease or dysfunction rather than a stand-alone one, so I'm hoping looking at diseases that tend to be co-morbid with WED will shed some light on what that background cause might be.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I do appreciate this researcher thinking about a common cause for these disorders, though. I feel like WED especially is one of those diseases that is a symptom of another background disease or dysfunction rather than a stand-alone one, so I'm hoping looking at diseases that tend to be co-morbid with WED will shed some light on what that background cause might be.
I like that line of thought.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.