Up Again

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
nite time geust

Up Again

Post by nite time geust »

HELP! I am pretty sure that I have some degree of RLS. My mom has had it for years. Each time I was pregnant I had episodes identical to her. My question is could surgery stimulate episodes of RLS. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and for the past week I have been "crampy" at night. I am up from 2-4am and I miss my sleep!

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

I think things like surgery does stimulate RLS. I think mine was triggered by blood being drawn a few weeks ago. It's just my opinion, I don't know if that has been proven by the researchers.

I have found relief from some meds like Sinemet or Neurontin, others find relief from other types of medication. I would talk to your doctor, I had to see three docs before I got dx'd, but I didnt have a name for it or knew how to describe it.

Hope you find relief soon, Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma

superpink21

Im feeling you right now

Post by superpink21 »

Yeah, so its 4:27 am here and I have to get up rather early. But noo as we speak my right arm and leg are pounding with pain and tensing up. I just got my left side to stop so Im waiting till this side stops. I have taken everything I normally do that helps and its not helping right now. To get to the point, I just had surgery 4 days ago. And everytime I have had surgery (7 times) its been getting worse. So yes I agree that surgery can increase RLS symptoms. By the way, Ive had it for 11 years now, so it started before the surgeries did. However I dont know what to do about it, except stay up all night. :shock: :cry: I tried to cry myself to sleep, but even that didnt work

jan3213

I UNDERSTAND!

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

Boy, do I understand! I haven't just had surgery, but I certainly understand not sleeping and right now you need restorative sleep. It is imperative that you sleep for your body to heal from your surgery. So, I'm afraid you're going to have to call your doctor. Do you go to a neurologist? If so, that's so, that's the doctor I'm referring to.

Do you know what medications are being given to you post-op, by any chance? The California Support Group for RLS has a Medical Alert Card which lists medications which exacerbate the symptoms of RLS. When I had gallbladder surgery last year, I was given several different drugs which just about drove me up the wall! In fact, if you go to the top of this page, and look at SUPPORT GROUPS, check out the Claifornia Support Group Site, click on that, and there will be a medical alert card that you can print out. You will be amazed at how many OTC an prescription drugs you shouldn't take. Maybe that's the culprit

At the very least, if that's not it, please call your doctor. You need sleep. Even if this is temporary problem, I know what you are going through!
I understand! Please give us an update! I care!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

superpink21

5:15 am again

Post by superpink21 »

Thank you for youre understanding. I am going to go to the doctor asap. I cant take this anymore. I have struggled with rls before but this just wont stop. Plus like you said, I need the sleep to recover. I am not taking any medications because when I get off of them it makes me TEN times worse, so this time I opted for pain now hoping to sleep. However, I have the pain, AND no sleep. I really dont understand this at all, each time I think Ive come closer to figuring out whats going on, its worse and Im at a lost cuz nothing works. Its like my body is becoming immune to everything and deciding to just hurt. Sometimes I feel like screaming. But I cant because I dont want to wake anyone. I cant ask anyone for help because they cant, and dont understand the feeling. Im tired of having to depend on medication to live a normal life, I might as well have some handicap. Of course Im just venting. Im really getting tired of it, and the black circles under my eyes are deepning. I dont know what to do, because I cant function in the day time and rls is not an excuse to miss anything (apparently its all in my head). If thats the case, then why does it hurt so much!!! It is in my head, because I have developed a fear of it happening so Im waiting for it to happen. Then it does and of course I cant get it off my mind then. Well Thank you so much for your help. Sorry, Im just venting since its 5: 24 am and I have not once dosed off since going to bed at 11. I know your pain and I will let you know what the doctor says. Thank you
TRYING TO STOP THIS

rhondavis

I feel your pain

Post by rhondavis »

Oh do I feel your pain! It is 5:01 am now. I slept, or dozed, for about an hour or so and then up with pain. I know the loss of sleep is just almost unbareable. I've been trying to figure out what has caused my rls to worsen. It seems to be worse anyway. I had gastric bypass surgery 6 mths ago. From reading all the messages and boards and anything else I can find to read that might help, it seems alot of different things can cause rls or set it off. I was taking Requip and ran out and can not afford to get it filled until the 3rd when my disability check comes. The requip seems to work pretty well. I just resently found out about RLS from a friend when I was telling her about my legs and the symtoms I have so this is all pretty new to me. I'll be praying for relief and sleep for all of us rls sufferers. God bless, Rhonda

Sara

Post by Sara »

Rhonda--

I posted to your other message about Nutrasweet, but was interested to read the rest of your story here. We have a number of people who have had worsening RLS after injury/accident/surgery.

Not sure what the connection might be to gastric bypass specifically, but the physical strain of surgery and recovery, not to mention the acompanying medications, are a major stress to the body. If there were NO other adverse effect from surgery (and I believe that there's probably more at a strictly physiological level), just the stress, strain, and fatigue from recovery seems like it might be enough to make RLS worse. I have a comparatively mild case of RLS, but illness, stress, fatigue ALL contribute to worse and more frequent RLS (up to sometimes 24/7 symptoms.)

I would also wonder if something new in your diet, or your ability to absorb nutrients, after the bypass might be partly to blame. There are a few different theories about different nutrient deficiencies that MIGHT contribute to, if not be totally responsible for, RLS symptoms. It seems that something about your nutrient levels COULD conceivably have shifted with all the changes folks go through after gastric bypass.

I sure wish you all the best in trying to figure out what!

Hang in there. Hugs--
Sara :D