Veinless Humans

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Penguinrocks

Veinless Humans

Post by Penguinrocks »

Sorry I couldn't locate the forum that we were discussing having NO VEINS!
Speaking with my Neuro this a.m., she said that almost ALL of her RLS/PLMD patients have a hard time giving blood due to their veins disappearing.
Reason: With the constriction of the muscles happening, hides those little guys!

Love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Penguin--

Didn't comment on this when you were talking about it before, but in the past when I have had to have blood drawn, I do recall nurses complaining a bit about my veins being hard to find/hit. With skin as white and transparent as mine, you'd think they'd have NO trouble. :roll: :lol:

While we're at it. I've tended toward low-ish blood pressure always, too. Can't recall folks mentioning blood pressure before, but does anyone else tend toward low? Just curious.

Hope all's well, Dawn.

Sara :D

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hey Sara,

Hope everything is good with you!!!!

Actually, blood pressure was high this morning. Ya, with my red head pale white, you'd think i'd be an easy target.

Love ya
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

becat

Hair color is no issue

Post by becat »

Hi girls,
Hair color is no issue, mine is more than 1/3 gray so it's boxed brown! LOL
My veins, easy to hit, cause you can see them. I said it, Sara, hate to think I will be see through when I get older.
Blood pressure........Like RLS, a low normal blood pressure is a gift from my grandmother. Doctors always think I'm a big workout fan.
Low normal temp. as well, by almost 2 points. I'm usually around 97.o or 96.8. It's tough when the world see everyone as a 98.6. Most docs don't see it as a problem until you hit 101-103, which means I'm hurting by the time I hit 101.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Becat, I don't know why it struck me this way, but when I read that you give blood easily and have a low body temp, I went through some sort of instant blood sister bonding :D (without the finger poking part). At awakening, my body temp is usually 96.8 to 97.4. Like you, when I have a 101 fever, I feel like I'm surely going to die!!!!! Mine had always, from a child, been lower than normal, but in the last few years it has dropped even lower.

Ann

Sara

Post by Sara »

Yes, low temp here as well. Hmmm...

Low basal temp is a metabolic issue/symptom. Have we gone full circle back towards thyroid, adrenal, etc. ????

Who knows!

I can only say I'm having lots of low-level RLS these days. Not quite 24/7, but just a "hum" most of the time if I sit still or stand still. Sheesh. RLS sucks.

:evil:

Love being able to share with you all, though!!!!

jan3213

I just had to jump in

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

Hi guys! My normal temp is 97.something (hehe) so when mine is 98.6 or over I feel like I'm dying also. And, when it hits 101, I feel like I'm going to burn up! Also, my BP tends to run 110/70. My veins used to be pretty easy to find, but the older I get, the harder it is to find one. My daughter, Stacy, has veins that "roll". She inherited those from her grandmother, who doesn't have RLS, but Stacy had severe growing pains as a child.
Becat, how you doing, sweetie? Hi Sara! Hi Ann! Hi ya Penguin!

See ya!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Ladies!

My temp does run cooler as well. bp is usually 124/70. 150/90 today. I just thought it was interesting about the vein thingy.

Sleep well my lovlies
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

h0rsehead

Post by h0rsehead »

My veins are really hard to find it takes about 6 or 7 pokes and normally more than one person tring.my blood pressure is either normal or very high.but the doctors say it gets very low after they draw blood.

Athena

Back to low blood pressure

Post by Athena »

Back to low blood pressure. This definitely makes my RLS worse. I know from when I was pregnant & getting weekly readings. The lower it got, the worse the RLS became.
This ties in with sleeping. What happens when you go to sleep? Your heart rate slows and your blood pressure drops. Lower blood pressure and heart rate means less circulation, and less circulation means less OXYGEN delivery.
I am trying to tie this in with other oxygen related problems, such as low hemoglobin.
What else causes poor circulation? Small veins!
ALL THESE PROBLEMS HAVE AN UNDERLYING ISSUE: OXYGEN DELIVERY.
So what?
***** Not enough oxygen, not enough ATP (or energy production). Not enough ATP, not enough energy to drive the Na-K pump. If pump not working at full capacity, then Na is not cleared from cells properly. This means reduced threshold for nerve firing (easier for action potential to occur)....leading to neuromuscular excitablility!
What do you think?
Athena

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

Interesting topic, I was in on the original vein discussion. Takes a good five tries and it usually triggers a daytime RLS episode, or it seems to, who knows. I think my veins roll, due to lack of arm muscle, because you can see them very easily. When my RLS kicked in big time, I was also having a lot of trouble breathing. It turned out to be asthma from inflammation caused by SLE. I was also loosing a lot of blood from a very heavy 90 day menstrual period..had surgery and no more of that problem either, ha. I also have high triglycerides...497, should be under 150. All my things are improving, I think helping one thing helps the others. Sometimes my temp is below normal and sometimes above, rarely at 98.6. Blood pressure varies, but usually a little on the high side. I am having blood drawn again next week, I dread it. I have no problem with needles or anything like that, it's just that it seems the last couple times it jump started the RLS. Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma

Athena

Post by Athena »

Squirmy,
Have you always had RLS - or just since developing SLE?
Don't know why a blood draw would trigger RLS? Interesting...
Athena

Sara

Post by Sara »

Tina, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't depleting the amount of available blood, deplete the amount of available iron, change circulation, stress your body, etc ? all not good for RLS?

I know that the few times I've had blood drawn, although I didn't know about RLS back then, it sure made me feel weak and sick and tired. All potentially bad for my RLS.

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

Athena and Sara, the RLS after having blood drawn is probably just a coincidence. I don't have RLS everyday, but when I do, I always wonder if something I did triggered it. I know driving or resting triggers it for me. As for SLE I was just recently diagnosed, but my doc thinks it started in my teens with Anemia and Mono that never improved with medication, I had to get hemoglobin shots and stuff. I only had mild RLS in my feet in the past (didn't know what it was tho) and then last fall, at age 41, everything started going haywire, it was the RLS symptoms that got me to start really searching for some answers. My regular doctor thought allergies or anxiety problems, I don't go to that doc anymore. I went to a Rheumatologist and she knew right away what was wrong and started treatment for the RLS. At that time I had a very severe face rash, she said it was a Malar (butterfly), so she started tests for Lupus and everything came back indicating SLE. My doc said that a lot of her patients with auto-immune disease also suffer from RLS. So I kind of think the SLE came first, but really don't know. Tina

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

Saw some helpful hints from medical doctor on t.v. about making it easier to draw blood. Drink plenty of water the days prior to a blood draw...dehydration makes it difficult to draw. Also, wear warm clothes and dangle arms prior to blood draw...this makes it easier to get the vein. (Being cold constricts the veins) And if you know the vein that they have had past success with, let them know which one. Tina