Blood Donation

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
TimG

Blood Donation

Post by TimG »

I've decided that because my ferritin still runs low (28) and I am now supplementing with iron tablets, it is time to give up whole blood donation. This is something I've done my whole adult life (I'm 64) and is a difficult decision for me. The last time I donated was six months ago. I know how essential it is to the community blood supply, because there is no substitute for blood when it is needed. I will continue to donate platelets, a procedure where they separate out the platelets from the red cells and plasma, then reinfuse the red cells and plasma.

ViewsAskew

Re: Blood Donation

Post by ViewsAskew »

I made the same decision a few years ago. It was very hard to do. I donated as soon as I turned 18 and did so regularly for years.

I haven't donated platelets, though. Thanks for bringing that up. I would like to feel as if I could still contribute.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Blood Donation

Post by badnights »

It's hard to give up contributing to other people's health and lives that way. Some other way might not have the impact, or be as convenient to do. But I can understand why you had to stop; your own health was being compromised.

Congratulations to both of you for being regular donors for so long.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.