All this talk about home remidies ect

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.

All this talk about home remidies ect

Post by Guest »

I have been reading on this and other boards about peoples home remidies.... hot baths/dont cross your legs/wearing pantyhose ect. If science has proven that this disorder is linked to the 12q gene and it is of nurologic origin.... how is it possible that any of this works.

Seems to me that if current research is valid the only way to eleviate RLS would be through the nurotransmitters.

becat

Hi Guest

Post by becat »

Hi Guest,
Not all RLSers have this disorder because of a genetic link. THere are many that have secondary RLS.
TO address your real question, yes, I think there are many things that help, besides medications.
I'm one of those try everything just to see if it works.
I take cal/mag, I even have a topical gel that helps me.......I take hot baths....use a heating pad, sometimes use an ace bandage to attach a throw away kind. I have 3-4 bars of soap in my bed.
Having been raised in a holistic manner, I would love to live without medications.....but I'm a double dose of genetic RLS. Both mom and dad have it.
I think that anything that works is good. Sometimes it might come down to mind over body, but not that often does it work.
Different things for different folks......Not every body react the same to things.....With the little differences that we all have, even one medication doesn't cover all the bases. Finding something that helps is normally a matter fo finding a combination of things.
Medications and home remedies.

Sara

Post by Sara »

I'm no medical genius, but aren't there a LOT of disorders and illnesses that are treated at the symptom level, and never touch the actual "cause" or "source"... usually because you CAN'T change or fix that?

Sara