Johns Hopkins Study on Glutamate

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
doety

Johns Hopkins Study on Glutamate

Post by doety »

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/med ... ery_solved.

The new study -- and a whole new way of looking at WED -- was published mid-May. Hope everyone will take a look and post what you think.
I had never separated WED and insomnia -- I thought they were one and the same.
I've heard people on this board talk about the wonderful Dr. Allen -- he is involved in this study.

I've had my hopes raised so much time -- and I know I'm joined by everyone -- that I'm almost afraid to get my hopes up. But so far, it's always been yet another nasty drug. Would I throw up? Be horribly constipated? gain 50 pounds? Be so woozy I can't talk? Surely this will involve changing our diets. Now, I've got to stop this and start researching about how to lower the glutamate in my system.

ViewsAskew

Re: Johns Hopkins Study on Glutamate

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's been posted before - not sure where....but it's here somewhere :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

From jul2873 in this thread http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8241:
I started with the D-ribose because of the Johns Hopkins study that is seeing if RLS patients have too much glutamate in the brain. With a bit of research I found out that adenosine helps regulate glutamate (I think they are both neuro transmitters). So maybe it's not that we have too much glutamate but not enough adenosine. D-ribose is a sugar that is mostly made up of adenosine. The only doctor I could find who wrote about ribose was this Dr. Sinatra, which is why I got his book and am following his suggestions for supplements. (I just had a checkup, and my blood pressure has dropped 25 points, and my cholesterol dropped 30 points--so there is this benefit too!).

As we all know, this is a tricky disease and there seem to be many variations of it. But for me, D-Ribose, along with Dr. Sinatra's other supplements--magnesium, C0-Q-10, and L-Carnitine plus recommendations for other vitamins--seems to be working for me. Not a magic bullet, but I am definitely feeling better and more optimistic.

So maybe instead of trying to lower glutamate, you could try to raise levels of Ribose.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Chipmunk wrote:From jul2873 in this thread http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8241:
I started with the D-ribose because of the Johns Hopkins study that is seeing if RLS patients have too much glutamate in the brain. With a bit of research I found out that adenosine helps regulate glutamate (I think they are both neuro transmitters). So maybe it's not that we have too much glutamate but not enough adenosine. D-ribose is a sugar that is mostly made up of adenosine. The only doctor I could find who wrote about ribose was this Dr. Sinatra, which is why I got his book and am following his suggestions for supplements. (I just had a checkup, and my blood pressure has dropped 25 points, and my cholesterol dropped 30 points--so there is this benefit too!).

As we all know, this is a tricky disease and there seem to be many variations of it. But for me, D-Ribose, along with Dr. Sinatra's other supplements--magnesium, C0-Q-10, and L-Carnitine plus recommendations for other vitamins--seems to be working for me. Not a magic bullet, but I am definitely feeling better and more optimistic.

So maybe instead of trying to lower glutamate, you could try to raise levels of Ribose.

Some people are trying that. I've taken it, as has the person above, and Polar Bear has tried it, too.

In terms of the post about, we do know that we do have excess glutamate as compared to controls, but it is possible that it's there because of the lack of adenosine. There is no way for us to measure these things....but we can tell if we feel better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.