Best time for Support Group meeting?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
badnights

Re: Best time for Support Group meeting?

Post by badnights »

It's tomorrow. I 've been home sick most of the week. I got ads in papers and radio, but all the bulletin boards I used to know about have been removed. I asked at the clinics and they said only through Health and Social Services can anyone post on their glassed-in boards. Sigh. I think there are other places I could have posted, but I never had the time to look between work and not-work, and then I wore out.

I got one call in response to the ad, from a recovering alcoholic (2 weeks sober) with fibromyalgia. I tried to tell him the group was not appropriate for him, but he ended the call by confirming the place and time. I have to prepare tonight, because I have not really prepared. In case someone besides him shows up.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck. I'm sure you will conduct a super meeting, you know so much about this disease. Don't worry if only a few folks show up, word will spread. And also.... with the groundwork already done you can get a bit further with advertising before your second meeting.

I know if I had the opportunity I'd be at one of your meetings in a heartbeat.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes! I used to remind myself when I was presenting professionally, that I might feel unprepared, but I sure as heck knew more than anyone in the room! As do you, badnights, without a doubt.

What an incredible resource you will be to the folks in your area. Of the 7% or so who have WED, if you even reach a part of a percentage -- which you will as you continue to be "out there" -- what a gift. You're on my calendar -- be thinkin' about you on Sat.!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Do let us know how it goes. I imagine that word of mouth is important and it will increase over time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I had three people attend, of whom two have WED. The third was the guy with fibromyalgia, who wasn't as bad as he could have bee, since he was dealing with a chronic disease himself, and mainly because he wasn't pushy.

A woman came who wanted to impart her knowledge; she has suffered for 30 years and has found relief with a homeopathic remedy. I admit, that one baffles me and I am interested in hearing more of her story. She didn't stay long, but she might come next time. She just wanted to pass along the info.

The third guy maybe I overwhelmed with information, I tried hard not to, but just the fact that I have to try tells you what I'm like in that regard :? . Hopefully he will get his health-helper dude to write him a list of what medications he's taking and what they're for. He clearly has WED. It only bothers him when he lies down to sleep, or when he falls asleep unintentionally in a chair, but it keeps him awake all night sometimes.

He's got something else going on in his legs, which may have been diagnosed but he doesn't know the diagnosis. His legs burn if he walks too far, so he has to rest and let the burning fade. What could that be?

I have version 2 of the meeting on Thursday. I'll see if anyone shows up. I forgot to think about seeding the meeting with a couple of friends for the last one but I like that idea. I might ask someone to come just to stimulate conversation.

Two sufferers is not much, but better than zero attendance. So I'm sort of happy about the way it went.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds like, all in all, it was good.

Burning when he walks, huh? I had to Google....here are a few options: http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2013- ... d-numbness

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Maria

Post by Maria »

:) Nice work! And you have another one this week? Same venue? Same time of day?
What a good idea - you can use what you learned this time right away.

That's something I'll definitely consider for my summer meeting!

btw - with the CAM suggestions, I think we've all heard so many remedies - from ivory soap under the sheets to, well -- to homeopathic solutions. I usually just respond with something like, "...hmm.. that's just so interesting. One thing we do know about WED is that what works for one person might work for another -- or might not. And we all seem to have different triggers, too." (Heck, when I first heard that peanut butter might soothe symptoms, I was in heaven. Still love p'nut butter tho' it does nothing for my legs.)

badnights

Post by badnights »

She was adamant. She seemed like an interesting person, but oh so totally wrong -- unless I'm totally wrong. But I went to the same naturopath as she sees a year ago, I was desperate and thought herbs, something, he might have something useful - and he recommended the same "remedy" that this woman said worked for her. It did nothing for me! I really gave it a good, honest shot, too. I also eliminated refined sugar from my diet, which made me feel better, but I gave that effort up when I stopped seeing him a few months later.

My second meeting is a weekday after work, whereas my first was a weekend. I don't know what works best for people, and having no way to decide, I thought I would just do both!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:She was adamant. She seemed like an interesting person, but oh so totally wrong -- unless I'm totally wrong. But I went to the same naturopath as she sees a year ago, I was desperate and thought herbs, something, he might have something useful - and he recommended the same "remedy" that this woman said worked for her. It did nothing for me! I really gave it a good, honest shot, too. I also eliminated refined sugar from my diet, which made me feel better, but I gave that effort up when I stopped seeing him a few months later.

My second meeting is a weekday after work, whereas my first was a weekend. I don't know what works best for people, and having no way to decide, I thought I would just do both!

Unfortunately, some people don't seem to consider other people's experiences. Hopefully hearing from you that it didn't work will help her rethink it. Glad it is working for her - and hope it continues, though.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I hope she comes back. She seemed to be changing her mind that she knew already everything by the time she left, but I couldn't be sure. Her point of view is that she is no longer being bothered by whatever symptoms were bothering her, and I can't argue with that! But there are things we can learn from each other, perhaps.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Maria - I have actually made myself laugh at my own stupidity. You say you heard peanut butter was good for symptoms and before I got any further..... I thought the peanut butter would make a helluva mess on the bed sheets. :lol: Sorry, I'm still laughing....
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

badnights - you made the big step and actually had a meeting. Congratulations.
I wondered if you had gone ahead with seeding a couple of friends, I think its a great idea, also they can give you an independent view of the meeting.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Maria - I have actually made myself laugh at my own stupidity. You say you heard peanut butter was good for symptoms and before I got any further..... I thought the peanut butter would make a helluva mess on the bed sheets. :lol: Sorry, I'm still laughing....

Managing Your RLS

Maria

Post by Maria »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Maria - I have actually made myself laugh at my own stupidity. You say you heard peanut butter was good for symptoms and before I got any further..... I thought the peanut butter would make a helluva mess on the bed sheets. :lol: Sorry, I'm still laughing....

It wasn't the peanut butter so much as the honey ;->

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Now girls ...... settle down !! All this giddiness and we're trying to discuss a serious subject. Hmmm.... peanut butter and honey :shock:
Betty