Insomnia and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
crl363

Insomnia and RLS

Post by crl363 »

Here is a possible explanation on why insomnia is so common in people with RLS/WED. This is just one persons opinion which is why I posted in the General Topics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2579978/

Insomnia is a common occurrence with RLS/WED. It has been linked to low GABA levels as a possible cause. Patients being treated with DA, who have not been prescribed opioids, may have fever instances of insomnia. The increase in GABA due to the increase in the DA helps aid in sleep provided the DA continues to prevent RLS/WED symptoms. However, many patients who are prescribed opioids report relief of their leg symptoms but still may continue to suffer with insomnia. Although, it has been reported that GABA can be inhibited by an opioid thus preventing RLS leg symptoms, it is possible that it is also keeping GABA levels below normal. The low levels of GABA caused by the opioid may likewise be causing insomnia at the same time. This could explain why people who are addicted to opioids can stay up for days at a time without the need for sleep. It could also explain why people with RLS/WED need benzodiazepines to help with sleep. Benzodiazepines enhance the effects of GABA. This creates a constant battle in order to keep dopamine and GABA in balance. Too much GABA and dopamine gets inhibited worsening RLS/WED symptoms. To little GABA and insomnia becomes problematic. Prolonged opioid use keeps GABA levels down even after opioid withdrawal. The body needs time to adapt in order to bring GABA levels back up to normal. This is why insomnia is a common side effect after opioid withdrawal.

Bob

cornelia

Re: Insomnia and RLS

Post by cornelia »

That's probably why patients on opioids can sleep when Neurontin of Lyrica has been added.

Corrie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This fits with the research at Johns Hopkins, also.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

crl363

Post by crl363 »

ViewsAskew wrote:This fits with the research at Johns Hopkins, also.

Could you elaborate? I thought they were connecting glutamate to insomnia.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, but saying that it was necessary to prevent insomnia, not that it caused it. At least that is how I remember it - haven't read it recently.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

crl363

Post by crl363 »

No worries. I guess I just don’t see how GABA’s impact on insomnia relates to the Johns Hopkins study.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

This is very interesting, Bob, and I appreciate your posting the info. I would also be curious about the relationship between glutamate and GABA. The Johns Hopkins study--as I understand it--is seeing if the level of glutamate is higher in the brains of RLS/WED sufferers, causing the hyper alert feeling so often experienced by us. I've also read that adenosine is the neurotransmitter whose levels go up at night, allowing sleep, while the levels of glutamate go down, in people who are sleeping normally. I have had some success using D-ribose at night, and D-ribose is a sugar made up mostly of adenosine. So maybe Johns Hopkins is on to something.

But the two substances that most help me sleep at night are L-theanine and kratom (which is a mild, herbal opioid). I have never taken any DA drugs, but have read that a side-effect of them is sometimes insomnia. No?

Anyway, thanks again for posting. It would be so terrific to figure out this horrible disease.

Mary

QyX

Post by QyX »

Thank you for this information. Looks very interesting!!!