sleep apnea

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
peanut1

sleep apnea

Post by peanut1 »

I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep neuro said the RLS will improve with treatment. fingers crossed.

ViewsAskew

Re: sleep apnea

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:I just got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep neuro said the RLS will improve with treatment. fingers crossed.

What are you using for it, Peanut? Hope you fare well.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Makes sense. Anything that improves sleep and health in general should improve the WED.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Sorry I have not responded in a while. Getting tested for CPAP in a few weeks. Doc says it works better for people who have severe sleep apnea or maybe moderate. I have severe rem sleep apnea so we'll see what happens. in the meantime, doing the meds, trying to keep the allergies down and doing the best I can.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:Sorry I have not responded in a while. Getting tested for CPAP in a few weeks. Doc says it works better for people who have severe sleep apnea or maybe moderate. I have severe rem sleep apnea so we'll see what happens. in the meantime, doing the meds, trying to keep the allergies down and doing the best I can.

My husband has obstructive apnea and used the mask/CPAP for years. Eventually he had to stop because of uncommon side effects. He was really worried. He tied Provent (about $75 a month) and it really helped. He decided to try Theravent, then. No script needed for it and 1/4 the cost, IIRC. At any rate, it works pretty well. He feels more rested, I rarely hear him snore, and he sleep through the night.

So, until you get the CPAP, you might want to try the Theravent.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

My WED was officially diagnosed by my sleep doctor, who also found that I had mild OSA. So, in addition to the drug treatment for the WED I have been on APAP for three months now.

I am sleeping much better, but I know that the majority of the improvement has been due to the treatment of the WED. Getting used to sleeping with the mask for the CPAP machine takes some time. I adjusted fairly quickly and found a mask that worked for me on the second try. I have seen comments from others on a different bulletin board that indicate that it can take up to six months to adjust and many more iterations of mask trials before they are comfortable.

So I wish you luck and hope that the combined treatments benefit you as much as I have improved.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rustsmith wrote:My WED was officially diagnosed by my sleep doctor, who also found that I had mild OSA. So, in addition to the drug treatment for the WED I have been on APAP for three months now.

I am sleeping much better, but I know that the majority of the improvement has been due to the treatment of the WED. Getting used to sleeping with the mask for the CPAP machine takes some time. I adjusted fairly quickly and found a mask that worked for me on the second try. I have seen comments from others on a different bulletin board that indicate that it can take up to six months to adjust and many more iterations of mask trials before they are comfortable.

So I wish you luck and hope that the combined treatments benefit you as much as I have improved.

You are right about the masks. In our family and among close friends, there are now 8 people using CPAP machines. Some have found the right mask quickly, while it's take others a LONG time. Hang in there and let someone know right away if it's not working.

Managing Your RLS