New New Strategy for Fixing Me

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: New New Strategy for Fixing Me

Post by ViewsAskew »

They say not to flush meds down the toilet (gets in the water and that can be a bad thing for the environment), but getting those meds out of your house may be a good thing. Maybe your wife can hide them? Then if you need them in the future, they'll be there, but you won't be tempted.

Detoxing and going through withdrawal from some of our meds just is NOT fun....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I was able to go to bed at 4:45 am and woke 2 1/2 hour latter - better than nothing for sure :) I will be glad when this is over.

My wife is down getting a nuclear stress test. It is a stress test on heart without having to exercise because of her leg. She went to doc after the scare with her heart and he told her the potassium was low but that wouldn't give her chest pains like that - so they are worried it is her heart after all. It takes over 3 hours for the test because they do injections twice and then she has to wait, sounds complicated. I am worried about her to say the least. I guess we'll find out soon what is going on, hopefully. Now I am very glad that I did call 911 when she was having those pains.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Yes, it might be a good idea to hide them or something. I think it is mostly the Lyrica which is difficult to comprehend for the simple reason that it does absolutely nothing for me that I am aware of consciously but the body must become very dependent on it.

ViewsAskew wrote:They say not to flush meds down the toilet (gets in the water and that can be a bad thing for the environment), but getting those meds out of your house may be a good thing. Maybe your wife can hide them? Then if you need them in the future, they'll be there, but you won't be tempted.

Detoxing and going through withdrawal from some of our meds just is NOT fun....

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope your wife has positive results from her tests.

Yep, you did good ringing for help.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

However the tests work out, it's very good she went. Either way, you'll know what, if anything, needs to be done. Knowing always makes it easier, at least to me - not knowing creates so much anxiety.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Not knowing is ..... like.... 100 times worse than anything - the mind just races on and on but there is nothing to actually deal with.
I hope your wife is now home and all is well.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Not knowing is ..... like.... 100 times worse than anything - the mind just races on and on but there is nothing to actually deal with.
I hope your wife is now home and all is well.

I hypothesize that this is the underlying reason we create old wives' tales and other illogical and incorrect beliefs. We just can't stand not knowing, so we make things up when we can't figure it out :-).

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm sure it will all work out with your wife. At least you will know what's going on. Also glad that you figured out when you could get a little sleep. I guess that was what I was getting at, when I asked you if you had symptoms 24/7. For me there are times during the 24 hours that I can sleep better than other times. Mine are 24/7 too. Hope it will start to get better soon.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I think it is mostly the Lyrica which is difficult to comprehend for the simple reason that it does absolutely nothing for me that I am aware of consciously but the body must become very dependent on it.
You are bringing me to re-re-consider my experience with gabapentin. I was sure for the first year or so that stopping gabapentin had caused my insane withdrawal symptoms. Then I started to consider how ridiculous that was, and convinced myself it must have been the codeine - how could I blame an anti-convulsant when opioids were known to cause withdrawals of that sort?

But lately, and most recently with your post a while back, I am re-thinking it. I recall, I was using a bit of oxycodone so it wasn't a total withdrawal (although I went from 150 mg codeine to 5 mg oxy, so that's almost total). The main reason, though, that I don't quite believe it was opioid withdrawal is that I have since felt opioid withdrawal, and it involves a nauseous feeling and cold sweats. I didn't have either of those, I just had utterly insane WED for a few weeks. At the time, I KNEW it was the gabapentin. And I'm beginning to think again that I was right to think that.

Gabepentin didn't do much for my symptoms, either. It dulled the sensations but left me with a strong urge to move, so wasn't very helpful. Actually the opposite of helpful, since it made me depressed and gave me episodes of suicidal ideation.

I find your conviction that pregabalin is causing your withdrawal very interesting in the light of my experience.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

The doc called my wife this evening so she wouldn't worry and her test showed her heart is fine!

There is another possibility that it could be from a pill that she has been taking for a long time that lowers cholesterol levels. She was told at the hospital that sometimes muscle aches can occur from taking those medications, especially for a long time, and it can appear to be chest pain. She is going to stop taking it for a week to see if there is any change.

The Lyrica withdrawal symptoms for me are mostly RLS so I could see where withdrawal for gabapentin may feel similar.

It is almost 11:30 pm and while I don't feel like going to bed I am not pacing. I feel pretty good actually. Maybe (crossing my fingers) the worse of the withdrawals are over. The 2 1/2 hours sleep this morning must have really helped too. I could see where a normal person would be thinking that sounds like really terrible sleep, but terrible sleep to me is not sleeping for more than 72 hours in a row.

I actually worked around the house today. I have been going around caulking all the cracks in the walls, it is a newer manufactured home and that happens while it settles in to its new foundation. It doesn't hurt to have the cracks, but it looks bad. Anyway today I was going around painting all the caulking that has dried. Without sleep I can't normally do something like that.

No matter what happens, if I'm still up at around 3:30 am I am going to try to go to bed then and see if it works. I am also less stressed out knowing my wife's ticker is normal :)

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

It is now 1:12 am and I am just about to have to start pacing. Strange.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope that after a little walkabout you eventually got some sleep.
And excellent news from your wife's doctor. I have heard before about the statins for cholesterol causing muscle aches.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Very good news.

Last year my mom went to the hospital with chest pains. She had the majority of the symptoms a woman experiences with a heart attack...she was fine. Weird. They never figured it out.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I did go to bed at 3:45 and got up with my wife at 7:15 am so 3 1/2 hours sleep! The best I have had since I started the new detox a few weeks ago. I have no idea why things work like they do with WED.

I got a call from insurance company telling me they won't pay for this. After hanging up on them I thought they probably have no idea how ill I really am. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy something like that when they are struggling to stay alive.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What won't insurance company pay for. Perhaps you have to open up and lay it on the line for them about how ill you actually are.
Betty