coping with everyday life

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
sleepless in pa

coping with everyday life

Post by sleepless in pa »

I had such a bad night last night that I called off from work today. I've already missed at least 9 days since January because I'm so exhausted in the morning that I can hardly think, let alone get ready for work. All I think about in the morning is going back to sleep. When I do allow myself to call off, I crawl back in bed for at least 5 hours and wake up better. Today I slept till 10am and then went back for a 3 hour nap later in the day. I feel much better than I usually do.

I've read that RLS follows a circadian rhythm and I'm wondering if getting up later in the day would help. I usually start at 9am. Does anyone work a later shift - say 2pm to 10pm - and does it help with your quality of sleep? Or are you less tired in the daytime or when you wake up?

Thanks!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi sleepless,

There is some evidence to suggest that going to bed after 2 AM will make it better for mild or moderate cases. It appears that for this type of RLS it is at its worse between 10 PM and 2 AM. If you can stay up that late, it often will stop by then. For years I've been a night owl, always preferring to stay up late and sleep in. Now I know why! Unfortunately, it doesn't help the PLMD as far as I know. I would avoid the RLS by staying up, but the PLMD was always active, no matter what time I slept. After years of it, I was sleeping up to 13 hours and still feeling exhausted. I thought I was sleeping (except the 20-30 times I awoke thinking I needed to pee!).

If you have both, and an estimated 80% of RLSers also have PLMD, then changing your sleeping schedule won't help much as far as I have read. But if you just need to avoid the RLS and can change your schedule, go for it!

Ann

sleepless in pa

Post by sleepless in pa »

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the info - I have both :roll: so I guess that won't work for me.

I'm just so frustrated with this already. It's so unfair. I feel like I'm going to die before my time because I can't get a good night's sleep ever.

Sleepless

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Sleepless,

I sure do know how you feel. Like today, I feel as if i'm 100 yrs old. I'm trying to enjoy my mother's day. it's a very tired day.

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin