I'm back! ..... and scared

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Re: I'm back! ..... and scared

Post by Polar Bear »

If your dad's doctor will take you - he is listed somewhere as being at least WED/RLS aware.... so I dearly hope that he will have some idea regarding treatment and opiods.
No doubt you have all the relevant Foundation print outs in case you need to be able to point to evidence.
Will you be mentioning how difficult it was at the weekend and how near the edge you felt.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I'm not sure how I will describe it.. I'm not sure someone in a fragile mental state requesting opiods would go over too well with most people in general.
But I certainly will have plenty to say about how I feel this doctor has harmed me and ruined my life for the past 6 months.

Hell, I don't even know how much this doctor would cost me to see, which worried me more than anything I guess

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Do you mean, when/if you see your dad's doctor in Madison, that you will have something to say about how your current/previous doctor has harmed you and damaged your life for the last 6 months? Or have I misunderstood.

Hmmmm.... not sure that this would be the best way to get off on the right foot with a new doctor.
If it was me..... I'd dilute it a little, to say that """successful treatment was difficult to achieve, from experience I know what is likely to work and need a doctor who can understand this disease and is willing to work with me for relief of symptoms""........ or something like that.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well.. I'm a simple man I guess.

I wouldn't lay it on thick, but I would just lay everything out on the table.

I was diagnosed, this was my treatment, I've tried this and this and this, this treatment worked great for years and then this doctor came in and screwed it all up. Then acted like I was an addict when I went out of my way to try non-narcotic treatments again and they did not work.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sounds perfect.

I'm sorry if I came across like I was telling you what to do..... my imagination of what might be said to a new doctor was working overtime. :oops:
Again I apologise - and hope that this doctor will see you and is all that you could hope for.
Betty

Neco

Post by Neco »

No need to apologize

Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Neco wrote:I was diagnosed, this was my treatment, I've tried this and this and this, this treatment worked great for years and then this doctor came in and screwed it all up. Then acted like I was an addict when I went out of my way to try non-narcotic treatments again and they did not work.

Some doctors tend to do that. I've got treated like a heroin addict 3 days ago simply because I'm taking Tilidin - an opioid of medium strength. Mind you, all the other med classes do not work for me or have unacceptable side effects. But most of the younger doctors are more open minded.

.f

Neco

Post by Neco »

Finally broke drown and cried when no one was home today. I guess it helped a little...

My dad talked to his doctor about seeing me, told him at least as much as that I was on Methadone previously; and that he didn't think this other doctor I've been dealing with knew how to treat RLS, etc.. didn't really say much for a response except to get me in there so he can talk with me.

I have an appointment on Tuesday in Madison.. I then casually remarked "I guess I just have to make it to Tuesday without offing myself", and my dad inquired about whether or not I had gone through my #40 Oxycodone already. Not quite but will run out over the weekend.. It seems he has 50 or so tablets of Oxycodone he never used, from his amputation surgery a while back.. And I'm guessing he is going to ration it out to me at some point..

I don't understand why these drugs just don't last like they should for me :oops: I get a couple of hours out of 5mg before I am feeling it all over again. I hope I can make it 4 - 6 with 10mg doses or something.
I am so relieved. I thought I was going to be in hell. I have some Requip left I was going to try and get by on, but.. maybe I will make it to this appointment now at least.

I still have no idea what the bill is going to be.. I'm pretty sure the facility is a hospital, and the up front alone is probably going to be expensive, nevermind the rest of the bill.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, glad you're not offed yet and glad your dad had a stash.

For what it's worth, nothing by methadone has worked well for me in terms of opioids. I wanted to try other things - I went through at least five opioids with Dr B and my GP. I had to take at the upper limits of each that I've tried - freaking out my GP. They'd work for 2 hours, max 3, and I'd be needing more. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time - would get up, walk until I could take more, wait for them to work, etc.

Methadone, however, resolves daytime symptoms for up to 12 hours and works at least 8 hours on night time symptoms. I honestly think we're all slightly different and any doc who thinks one med fits all is clueless and uninformed, not to mention slightly sadistic. Well, maybe not intentionally, but that is the effect!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I'm just worried that I have made myself worse by trying the Requip again.

I am getting incredibly short durations out of Oxycodone, and I don't recall it being that bad when I took it for a while, years ago before starting the Methadone. Now I'm worried that I'm getting rebound from stopping the Requip, or augmentation or something of the sort. Since it felt like it wasn't doing much or even made it worse when I did try taking it. I haven't had the crap for several days now, but my left side has been particularly troublesome, with random twitches accompanied by brief "bursts" of what my symptoms feel like preceeding them. Almost like my body has developed a tick :roll:

I just hope this guy can seriously help me, and not want to make me do yet another dog and pony dance with ineffective non-opiate medications.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It could be mild augmentation. I've found that when I've tried DAs since that initial augmentation, that if I augment even mildly (as I did with Neupro), it took about a week to calm back down. BUt, it did.

When I augment, I always get pretty strong PLMW - it's not fun and looks quite odd! But, it stops, too, with time. Since you stopped it pretty fast, it shouldn't take too long to work its way out.

BTW, what kind of a doc are you seeing - a GP?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

He's an Internist, I believe.

I think this is the guy, based on what my dad has told me.

https://doctors.meriter.com/DouglasCKutzMD_468193/

Neco

Post by Neco »

Fail.

Couldn't help me. Will not prescribe narcotics for RLS; cited issues with "Rebound" where stopping narcotics presents RLS-type symptoms etc. Said the best he could offer me was to admit me to a hospital to detox, and even then it would take months for my dopamine levels to return to normal. cited DEA crackdowns, etc. Mirrored what others have said, about how I will have a difficult time finding a doctor willing to prescribe narcotics for me.

I don't know WTF to do anymore.. this is just... bullshit

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My wish for you is that you could somehow manage to go see Dr B ..... or one of the other well known guys.
One appointment - and then work with each other from a distance.

I do understand that this seems impossible.... who knows what is around the corner.... we have to have hope.
I am very sorry that this particular doctor has been unable to cooperate.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

Absolutely. the withdrawal from methadone, if it's anything like w/dwl from hydrmorphone, will be just like bad WED/RLS, except with nausea/ cold-sweat issues on top. Ropinirole won't touch that. So it's two weeks - or whatever - of hunkering down and suffering through that withdrawal, withOUT raising your ropinirole dose in an attempt to control the WED meantime (because you might augment over 2 weeks of doing that). Besides forking to see Dr B, that's the only way of dealing that I can think of.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.