POEM - This is worth reading

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

POEM - This is worth reading

Post by Polar Bear »

I found this poem on another site for WED/RLS and the content really blew me away, just how well the author was able to get across the horrible effects of WED.
I asked the author if I could re-post this poem and she said yes, her name is Kim.
The poem was found on the site healthunlocked.com in the section Restless Legs Syndrome.
This is the link
https://healthunlocked.com/rlsuk/posts/ ... individual
I think that to read the poem on that site together with the comments, one would have to join the community.

However, as I have permission to re-post it.... here it is:

Hi my name is restless legs.
I am invisible to others
They can’t see me or hear me but YOUR body feels me.
I can keep you awake until you're exhausted.
Remember when you had energy? In its place I have given you exhaustion
If you have something planned I can spoil it
If you are looking forward to something I can take that away from you.
You didn’t ask for me but I choose you anyway
Maybe you have a family history of me or maybe kidney disease or Parkinsons?
Whatever the case I am here to stay.
I can make an outing to the cinema or theatre pure hell. You want a long car ride –don’t make me laugh!
Holidays ha ha I can spoil those before you even get there. I don’t like travelling.
Work? I can mess up that
You can pretend to others you have to get up during a meeting or a meal because you keep needing the toilet or have to make a phone call but you can never fool me.
You see it makes me laugh when you try to describe me to a non sufferer I make it impossible
You can buy whatever creams lotions and potions you like as I am unbeatable
Your friends and family will listen until they get tired of hearing how I make you feel
Some will say things like oh it’s cramp, you're having a bad day or well you're not getting any younger but not hearing you have had me for 30 years
They will say things like just stretch your legs and it will go or just don’t think about it
Some will start talking about you behind your back while slowly you feel you're losing your dignity trying to make them understand
You will be told oh I know someone who had that and she had a paracetamol and she was fine
You might decide to up your game and see a doctor and I will grin as you try desperately to describe the impact I have on your life
The doctors will have no idea and will put you on all sorts of medications
They may try you on sleeping tablets or antidepressants but they’re no match for me
Sometimes they will give you meds which actually make me worse because I am sneaky
Are you too tired to exercise –that’s me
Aching back and knees -yes that’s me
Headache my gift to you
Red dry eyes- I take the credit
Irritable - probably me
Sometimes I will lull you into a false sense of security and you will find a med that helps – you’re getting clever but not as clever as me
I will up my game
I will make you need to keep taking more and more
I will visit you earlier in the day, I will strike other parts of your body your arms neck anywhere I please

When you come off these meds you will realise just how evil I can be and you will need more and more drugs
Do not try to explain me or expect any understanding or people to realise how I impact on your life
The ONLY place where you will get support and help and understanding is from others who live with me they are the ONLY ones who will understand
MY NAME IS RESTLESS LEGS

By-- Kim
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Re: POEM - This is worth reading

Post by Betty/WV »

Wonderfully written. Thank you, and so true, no one can understand unless they experience it themselves. Thats why, when I stumbled on this site, it was the first time I heard from people that understood exactly where I was coming from.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I thought if someone had difficulty in explaining how WED/RLS affects our daily life, this poem might go some way to help.
Although it is still hard to explain what it actually feels like.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Too true. I like it.