Symptoms worse by season

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rustsmith

Re: Symptoms worse by season

Post by Rustsmith »

I am wondering if anyone has noted a difference in their RLS symptoms when they travelled from the northern to southern or southern to northern hemisphere.
Before I retired, my job entailed loads of international travel. I would continually be switching climates and had major time zone shifts. During this time, I didn't notice my RLS very much although I do admit that I developed some coping strategies for all the hours and hours that I spent on planes. I never had any added RLS problems as a result of any changes in climate (this included tropical Africa, the Middle Eastern deserts, Alaska in winter, etc.)

It was only after I retired and stopped all the travel that my RLS went from an occasional annoyance to a major problem. There is no medical information to support this yet, but I suspect that the continual disruptions to my circadian rhythm by jet lag helped to minimize the RLS symptoms. My body was continually trying to reset what time of day it should be, so our nighttime issues often didn't catch up with where I really was. I also feel that my RLS helped me to function more effectively than my fellow travelers during the jet lag recovery time thanks to our ability to live our lives during the daytime even though we had a terrible night.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

JulHer1968

Post by JulHer1968 »

So just a long flight to a beautiful place, but no benefit to the RLS. Thanks for your thoughts.
Julie

JulHer1968

Post by JulHer1968 »

Thanks, Steve. I somehow missed your comments before I responded. Those are interesting thoughts. When your bouncing around tie zones all the time, it would seem you wouldn't really have a circadian "rhythm." I agree that we get used to functioning on very little sleep."
Julie