Symptoms worse by season

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Symptoms worse by season

Post by ViewsAskew »

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publicatio ... the-Summer

I've copied the text below in case the link breaks. It's from Pharmacy Times.

According to the results of a recent study, symptoms associated with RLS change depending on the season, becoming their most severe during the summer.

The study, published in the December 2013 issue of Sleep Medicine, used Internet search query data to evaluate whether RLS symptoms fluctuate with the season, as is reported by many patients with the condition. The researchers obtained data on the monthly search volume for the term restless legs from January 2004 to December 2012 using Google Trends. Seasonal effects were analyzed for data from the United States, Australia, Germany, the United Kingdom (UK), and Canada.

The season significantly affected search queries for RLS in the United States, Australia, Germany, and the UK. The results indicated a trend between season and searches in Canada, but it was not significant. Searches for the term restless legs peaked during the summer months in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, increasing by 24% to 40% compared with winter months across all countries included in the analysis.

The authors of the study suggest that the results illustrate the seasonality of the disorder, but acknowledge that more research is needed to confirm the assumption.

“Our novel finding in RLS epidemiology needs to be confirmed in additional samples, and underlying mechanisms must be elucidated,” they conclude. - See more at: http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publicatio ... T9KWk.dpuf
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Re: Symptoms worse by season

Post by Sojourner »

Interesting. For me, Winter seems to be the worst.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have seen this conclusion reported elsewhere, but no one ever seems to provide a hypothesis to explain why they are getting these results.

For me, spring and fall are the worst times, summer and winter are much easier on me.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I also had to wonder if this wasn't related to something else. We definitely have had our share of members here who say it's worse in summer, but we've had plenty say it's yet a different time...or that it doesn't matter.

Perception is so important to WED....could be that we notice it more in the summer because it impacts our ability to do more/have fun. Or maybe we're more likely to exercise more, but still irregularly, which can make it worse in many of us. Or because we take antihistamines.

Managing Your RLS

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Or could it be tied to the fact that the days are longer during the summer, so our sleep schedules are different since it is light outside longer?

For me it isn't the antihistamines, because I am on the 365 days/yr.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rustsmith wrote:Or could it be tied to the fact that the days are longer during the summer, so our sleep schedules are different since it is light outside longer?

For me it isn't the antihistamines, because I am on the 365 days/yr.

Sure! That's the problem with data such as this. We really can't know much from it.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I saw that one before, and tentatively dismissed it because of the assumption that number of searches equated with intensity of suffering. Too many uncontrolled variables.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I honestly don't know if I get better/worse for entire seasons, but I have always suspected / felt that during changes from one season to another (hot to cold and back in a period of days) my RLS seems like it gets worse.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I once kept a log for about 9 months which got me through most of the seasons. I kept track of things such as barametric pressure, temperature, and general weather conditions. In my case, I was more interested in whether storms, cold fronts etc. made my WED worse. Short story, nothing in my record keeping seemed to form any pattern. I still think that approaching storms and weather changes one or two days out has more effect than the weather of the current day. However, I really didn't have nay way to easily analyze of compile that sort of thing.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

That's interesting. Ever since menopause my thermostat hasn't worked that well and I overheat easily which causes me to wake up and I often have symptoms when I wake up in the night. I much prefer sleeping in a cold room but that's not possible most of the year. I'm changing different weights of blankets almost daily in spring and fall hoping I can get it right for that night. It usually cools off towards morning so I keep a pile of small throw-size blankets on the floor to add to the pile when needed. My husband, who sleeps through most things, says he never knows what will be on the bed when he wakes up in the morning.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have always had difficulty regulating my internal thermostat. I overheat easily, I get cold easily. Once I overheat, it takes a long time to cool off. Once I'm too cold, I shiver for ages, even when the blankets are piled on me. I feel like Goldilocks - I need it "just right." It does seem worse now that I'm likely in perimenopause. And, some medications make it worse.

Like you, Yankiwi, I have blankets that are easily added or removed. At any time I might have 5 or more on me or have stripped off everything, including my PJs.

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Unlike Coke, nothing goes better with WED/RLS. It seems to exacerbate almost any problem, even things that non RLS people wouldn't even notice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Unlike Coke, nothing goes better with WED/RLS. It seems to exacerbate almost any problem, even things that non RLS people wouldn't even notice.

Indeed :lol:

Managing Your RLS

JulHer1968

Post by JulHer1968 »

I am picking up on some old posts, but the topic seemed to fit. My RLS has always been worse in the late winter. My take on it is that it is due to the shorter length of day, not to the cold weather. Even before I knew what was wrong was called RLS, I have long complained that my energy level is low in the winter. Fortunately, I have never had clinical depression so I don't call it SAD. The RLS is always at its worst in late January through February. Although that is long past the winter solstice, my sense of it is that the winter gradually wears me down. My new doctor had me try light therapy last winter, but it was too late in the season to tell if I benefitted. Will try again this winter.

So why am I talking about this in June? I am seriously considering planning a trip to someplace in the southern hemisphere for a couple of weeks in late January - perhaps New Zealand. I am wondering if anyone has noted a difference in their RLS symptoms when they travelled from the northern to southern or southern to northern hemisphere. I think I have this magical thinking that by doing so, I might reset my circadian rhythms and get some real relief during my worst time of the year. Besides, I've been wanting to go to New Zealand anyway.
Thanks,
Julie
Julie

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

By all means, visit New Zealand! January is a great time, February is even better because school holidays are over so it isn't quite so crowded. I've lived here for 33 years and haven't noticed any difference while travelling between the hemispheres. I seem to sleep better in winter although I'm not crazy about the cold.