Basis Watch - Monitors Sleep

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Basis Watch - Monitors Sleep

Post by EeFall »

I received the new Basis Watch 2014 version yesterday in the mail. The actual title is Basis Health Tracker for Fitness, Sleep & Stress. I bought it because you wear the watch constantly (for best results) and at night it tracks light sleep, REM sleep & deep sleep, even the amount of times you move about and the time for each. It even monitors if you get up to go to the restroom. I have it hooked up so that it pairs with my iPhone, it has a nice app. Also via USB to my laptop. It keeps all the information on the Basis site so when you sync it the information from the watch goes directly to your personal site where the information is kept.

I slept 5 hours and 28 minutes last night plus I got up for 16 minutes in the middle of the night. The shocking thing is that it measures so much more! I was looking at the charts and checked a box that said perspiration and it had a complete chart of that for every moment of day and night which showed that while I was driving to work it started to increase, by the time I got there it had gone way up, while walking from my car to the office it skyrocketed and then it took over an hour after getting there for it to return to normal. I had no idea that work made me so stressed out! Really surprising to me.

This thing also takes your pulse continually and and has a digital watch which also has month and day. It records every step I take for exercise, it knows when I am really walking, like for exercise. It also knows when you are riding a bike or running. It even tells how many calories you are expending. The information is all constant and the graphs are incredible. The watch is suppose to last several days without plugging it in but the battery was still fully charged this evening.

They give out badges, like a game, for attaining goals. You have to make certain goals before going on and you can select goals from a list. Some are exercise, some are diet (I think), and some are sleep, like setting a time to go to bed every evening or setting a time to get up. The only fault I have found so far is that the sleep goal started at 6 hours and went to 10 hours. I have already contacted the company telling them the goal should be set at 1 hour and briefly explaining the plight of RLS and that many of us get from zero to 4 hours sleep a night. I don't know if it will do any good, but if they want to sell these I assume they will at least think about it.

I was apprehensive about the size because some online reviews mentioned it was large. I'm a guy and it is no bigger than my regular watch and actually lighter. You can purchase different bands, I just have the black one and the watch itself is black and chrome. It has 4 small buttons on each corner of the face, touch sensitive. One button on the side to sync, and on the other side are 4 small contacts in a row. You place the plastic charger frame over the top of the watch and it contacts these 4 side contacts to charge and communicate.

So far I love the Basis! I was sitting here last night doing a little biofeedback experiment. I could actually lower my resting pulse rate by just thinking about it :) well it was a fun game for me anyway. Why would you want one of these? It will tell you not just if you are sleeping but the quality of your sleep. I got far more REM and deep sleep than I would have thought, I think the Suboxone is really working good. The goals are interesting too. I need goals to try to improve my health. I need to lose weight and to exercise too. This gadget is in your face all the time. Once you input your age, weight, and height this thing sets to work.

It is so Star Trekkie! Amazing amount of information. I can't wait to wear this for a month or two and see how things are really going. The price is $199 plus tax. I'm sure I left off many things about this, if you are interested Basis has an online site and it is available on places like Amazon. There are 2 models. The old one and the one that came out last month. The older model is $179.

ViewsAskew

Re: Basis Watch - Monitors Sleep

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not a bad price! And techie fun :-).

I really need something that records leg movements. If I had unlimited funds, I'd get this, though.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would just love this...
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Sounds pretty cool. But, some days I think I would be afraid to look at it.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:Not a bad price! And techie fun :-).

I really need something that records leg movements. If I had unlimited funds, I'd get this, though.

It does have "toss & turn" which I had 6 the first night and 14 last night and it also has "sleep interruptions" I had two last night but only one I was aware of which is curious. Also a sleep score which was 62 the first night and 52 last night. Everything about last night was a little worse but I suppose that will vary every night. This is what it says about "toss & turn" "Basis defines tosses and turns as: 1 position changes 2 movement during sleep 3 or your cat sitting on your head in the morning making you move over" :)

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:I would just love this...

It is water resistant (or something to that effect), if it were water proof I would even wear it in shower :lol:

Had a bit of trouble syncing it with iPhone this morning but I think the secret is not to wait too long between syncs (do it several times a day) because the info builds up and then it takes longer to sync and the iPhone seems to resist long times syncing with it (blue tooth). I found that if I left the app open and watched it do its thing it seemed to work. On the laptop it just has a icon in tray and you connect it via USB and it does it immediately. You can actually tell it to sync as soon as it is plugged in. I like the fact that I'm sitting here typing with the Basis on my wrist and plugged in charging at same time. It is so cool! One of the things it will do for me is give me warning if I have had a bunch of light sleep during the previous night because I will probably be cranky, conversely with a lot of good deep sleep and REM its time to go out on the town.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Sojourner wrote:Sounds pretty cool. But, some days I think I would be afraid to look at it.

I know what you mean :lol: but on the other hand knowing the score (literally the Basis total score for sleep for the night) it is easier to deal with the potential problems that may occur do to lack of sleep.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Man I gotta get to bed, I have to work Saturday and Sunday again this week. I'm not going to earn any sleep badges staying up too late :wink:

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Very interesting. It sounds like something right up your alley. I'm glad you found this.
I'm getting a new CPAP machine this next week. It will have self adjusting pressure. I'm looking forward to that.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Very interesting. It sounds like something right up your alley. I'm glad you found this.
I'm getting a new CPAP machine this next week. It will have self adjusting pressure. I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks. I am having a great time with this gadget. I found out today I don't have to sync both my iPhone & my laptop. I knew it all syncs to one online Internet site so I should have known that. Duh! Once I sync to either device the updates can be seen with the other device too.

Nice that you are getting a new CPAP machine. Are you talking about that when you exhale that it is easier than when you inhale? I like that feature. My first CPAP didn't have it and couldn't use it for 3 years.

I have found something else from the data. It also takes your skin temperature and the graphs show I am sleeping too hot. I need to wear less to bed and have less covers too. That right there could be messing with my sleep a bit. The other weird thing is for the second day in a row going to work I perspire like crazy when I first get there but when I leave there is no change. The thought of entering work must be really stressful for me, I need to chill out.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

EeFall wrote:
debbluebird wrote:Very interesting. It sounds like something right up your alley. I'm glad you found this.

Nice that you are getting a new CPAP machine. Are you talking about that when you exhale that it is easier than when you inhale? I like that feature. My first CPAP didn't have it and couldn't use it for 3 years.

I don't know about the exhale and inhale thing. I get the machine Wednesday. All I know is that the machine can tell us what pressure I should be at. Then it will stay at that pressure, I think. I will ask questions Wednesday. My sleep doctor at first wanted me to find a machine that was self adjusting and borrow it for a few nights. Then my "new" machine would be set to that pressure. So now we will see. I just wanted to see if my pressure had changed, since my husband now sees me stop breathing. Five years ago he couldn't see it. I am needless to say, very excited about the new machine.

There is no way I could ever be able work your new device. Plus, I will never have an I Phone, too expensive. Wouldn't be able to afford your new device either. But it does sound wonderful. I am thrilled for you. We are on such a tight budget.
It does sound like you are very stressed from work, which you know makes the WED worse.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I don't know about the exhale and inhale thing. I get the machine Wednesday. All I know is that the machine can tell us what pressure I should be at. Then it will stay at that pressure, I think. I will ask questions Wednesday. My sleep doctor at first wanted me to find a machine that was self adjusting and borrow it for a few nights. Then my "new" machine would be set to that pressure. So now we will see. I just wanted to see if my pressure had changed, since my husband now sees me stop breathing. Five years ago he couldn't see it. I am needless to say, very excited about the new machine.

There is no way I could ever be able work your new device. Plus, I will never have an I Phone, too expensive. Wouldn't be able to afford your new device either. But it does sound wonderful. I am thrilled for you. We are on such a tight budget.
It does sound like you are very stressed from work, which you know makes the WED worse.

Yeah that is not good about stopping breathing. My VPAP machine is similar to what you are talking about I think. Since I have central apnea besides obstructive apnea my brain sometimes forgets to take a breath and the machine monitors for this and if it happens it hits me with a larger than normal puff of air until I start breathing again. I've tested it while awake by stopping breathing on purpose to see what it does and it is a pretty forceful blast of air down your throat. I hope it works well for you I don't think it is as drastic as a VPAP but it sounds like it monitors your breathing through the night.

As far as working the Basis they made it super easy. You just put it on, hook it via the USB to the computer and answer 3 questions, your age, weight, and height. Thats about it. All you do is wear it, you don't need an iPhone, it is just another way to look at the results. A regular computer is all that is needed. When you set it up they tell you to go to their website and all the info is saved there. You can look at all the graphs and things on the computer. I just saved the website as a favorite. There are 7 sensors (looks like to me) on the back of the watch that takes all the information from your arm.

Back in the 70's I took a class on biofeedback in college and this device is truly that. It encourages you to form healthy habits and shows you the results. The other thing about it is that they are always making the software better and updating it, amazing really. It is not cheap but I imagine the cost will come down as it does for most gadgets. It has already paid for itself in just showing me that work stresses me out. I had no idea.

Also at 5:05 pm today I fell asleep on the couch for 30 minutes (or so Basis tells me lol & my wife) the information told me that it was 30 minutes of light sleep, no rem or deep sleep, and I moved a few times. I suspected that sleeping like that was not doing me any good and I think that it is showing that. Over the next few months it will be interesting to see if the data shows that for sure because one time isn't enough data to know for sure. If it allows me to sleep better then it is worth it! Maybe doctors will start giving prescriptions out for these like the CPAP machines. If they can help people live a better life why not.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

debbluebird wrote:
Very interesting. It sounds like something right up your alley. I'm glad you found this.

I sounds like you are getting an aPAP machine, which is what I use. Two things you should ask about when you pick up the machine are:
1. What are the high and low pressure limits that the machine has been set for. Many providers give you a machine that is set to 4 and 20cm. This means that the machine starts each night at 4 and then works up to the pressure it thinks you need, which is generally what your doctor wrote in the prescription. If your prescribed pressure is much more than 6, it could take some time to actually get up to where you need it. So ask them to set the low pressure just a little bit below your prescription.
2. Most aPAP machines have a comfort feature that is trademarked with something like A-Flex or C-Flex. This feature reduces the pressure that you exhale against, like EeFall's more expensive ASV machine. Make certain that they turn this on and that the setting is at least 2. What this means is that if the machine is supplying you with 10cm of pressure when you inhale, you only have to exhale against 8. That doesn't sound like much, but you will love it if you try it and it has no impact upon your OSA therapy.

As for the automatic part of the machine, that simply means that the machine detects when you are having breathing issues and will increase the pressure to deal with them. Then, if the problem seems to be resolved, it will try dropping the pressure back so that you don't have to work so hard against the higher pressure.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Rustsmith wrote:
debbluebird wrote:

I sounds like you are getting an aPAP machine, which is what I use. Two things you should ask about when you pick up the machine are:
1. What are the high and low pressure limits that the machine has been set for. Many providers give you a machine that is set to 4 and 20cm. This means that the machine starts each night at 4 and then works up to the pressure it thinks you need, which is generally what your doctor wrote in the prescription. If your prescribed pressure is much more than 6, it could take some time to actually get up to where you need it. So ask them to set the low pressure just a little bit below your prescription.
2. Most aPAP machines have a comfort feature that is trademarked with something like A-Flex or C-Flex. This feature reduces the pressure that you exhale against, like EeFall's more expensive ASV machine. Make certain that they turn this on and that the setting is at least 2. What this means is that if the machine is supplying you with 10cm of pressure when you inhale, you only have to exhale against 8. That doesn't sound like much, but you will love it if you try it and it has no impact upon your OSA therapy.

As for the automatic part of the machine, that simply means that the machine detects when you are having breathing issues and will increase the pressure to deal with them. Then, if the problem seems to be resolved, it will try dropping the pressure back so that you don't have to work so hard against the higher pressure.

Thank you Steve for the information. That really helps. My original pressure was 20, but the doctor turned it down to 16 since the 20 was hard to tolerate. I also don't use a mask that fits over my nose and mouth. I couldn't tolerate those. I tried several. It hurt my cheek bones. I use a nose pillow and a chin strap. I still manage to open my mouth at times. It wakes me up and I will then close my mouth. I wish there was another way.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

EeFall, yeah I guess I could figure it out. But I just can't afford it. Maybe someday. I'm glad you got it though.