mirapex

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
maybe

mirapex

Post by maybe »

I am now on gabapentin , have stopped Mirapex. Can anyone tell me if after some time can I go back to Mirapex. I have only been on gabapentin for a few days, I take 2 300mg at night and 1 300mg in the morning. I have no idea if this will work but Mirapex was good for a long time. Do not know if the surgeries caused this problem or how long gabapentin will work. Any advice will be helpful.

maybe

ViewsAskew

Re: mirapex

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Maybe,

First - have you had a serum ferritin test? If so, please ask the nurse exactly what the result was - even if they tell you, "it's ok," let them know you need to know exactly what the number/value was. OK? Then let us know.

In terms of the pramipexole (Mirapex) It's possible, but you were on a very high dose - 1 mg. Doctors have discovered that it's best to take .25 mg or less each time you take it. If you take more, it often causes problems.

You can take much more of the gabapentin - up to 2700 mg a day, or 900 mg 3 times a day. You are only taking 600 per day now. So, if it's not working, yet, ask your doctor to increase it.

If the gabapentin helps, but doesn't seem quite enough, ask your doctor if he or she thinks you could use Horizant (gabapentin encarbil). It's a patch and you only have to use one a day. Some people find it works better.

In a few months, if you can't find anything, you could try pramipexole again. If you do, try it at .25 mg, up to 3 times a day. If that works, great. If at any point it stops working and you need more, it's because you are augmenting and you will need to switch again.

Of course, it's best to work this out with your doctor.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

maybe

Post by maybe »

I had an iron the results are 137ug/dl35-155

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think that may be a different test. I think serum ferritin is measured as ng/ml - or nanograms per milliliter. I think your test may be serum iron (SI), rather than serum ferritin (SF).

Is there an SF on your test?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

maybe

gabapentin

Post by maybe »

I hate going back to the doctor, but I an taking 600 mg gabapentin at night in the and 300MG in the morning . but I decided to take 1 300mg in the late morning but it is not working the night pill work but not 300mg at noon. I took it about 12:00 the am and it is now 3.00pm and it still has not stopped my legs from jumping . I do not know if this is going to work. what do I do.

Maybe

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You may need much more gabapentin to work. Some people need two to three times what you take. So, you can keep increasing it if your doctor agrees with that.

IF you have augmented, however, only an opioid will help you right now. It takes 1-4 weeks after you stop the pramipexole before you can use any other drug successfully.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Also, with gabapentin, it's a drug that you go up so much at a time, and also going down. You never just stop it like you can with other drugs.
Ann's right, you may need an opioid along with it.

maybe

opioid

Post by maybe »

I am sorry but I do not know much about opioid. Could you help me and tell me what I should I should tell the doctor

Maybe

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

For information on treatment including opioids click on the link in my signature.
It is in blue text at the bottom of this post, just after where it says RLS Medical Bulletin.

Click on this link and it will take you to the RLS Medical Bulletin which can be used for discussion with your doctor.
Print out this RLS Medical Bulletin, or ask someone to do it for you. Take it with you to your doctor. Give your doctor a copy.
On page 7 it discusses treatment and it lists the various medications to treat symptoms, including opioids.
It also lists the advantages and disadvantages of each medication.

You should read this before you go to your doctor so that you are familiar with the information.

Tell your doctor that you feel that your medication is not working at it's present dosage and that you want to discuss medication treatment.

You should perhaps give gabapentin a chance at a higher dose,,,,, You can take 3x what you are taking at present, but of course this should be done under doctor's supervision.
The RLS Medical Bulletin contains information to get you and your doctor familiar for the treatment options for your symptoms.
And perhaps to start with, you should be talking to your doctor about the dosage of gabapentin that you are taking and discuss an increase in dosage.

If your gabapentin is increased gradually up to what is considered should be a sufficient dose, it may work fine.
Or indeed, it may need an opioid added.
Take the leaflet to your doc. Read it first.

And remember to ask for a ferritin serum blood test. Then tell us what the result was.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Re: opioid

Post by ViewsAskew »

maybe wrote:I am sorry but I do not know much about opioid. Could you help me and tell me what I should I should tell the doctor

Maybe

Maybe, we can't tell you what to tell the doctor. We can suggest things.

First, were you able to print out the medical pamphlet to give to the doctor? I think I suggested it before and Polar Bear has to. Click on these words here (the underlined ones) It will open a new window with the pamphlet. You can read it and take it to the doctor.

The pamphlet tells which opioids the doctor might use. If you are augmented, the doctor often will use a strong opioid, such as methadone. Not all doctors will prescribe that. Your doctor might try oxycodone, hydrocodone, or even tramadol.

I'm not sure why you do not like gabapentin. If it is because of side effects, definitely change. If it's not working yet, please consider taking more - you can take quite a bit more than you are taking now.

Managing Your RLS