Web Sites

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sojourner

Web Sites

Post by Sojourner »

Just wondering what interesting web sites, game sites, etc. that people might find helpful as a distraction during the wee hours.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Re: Web Sites

Post by Polar Bear »

My brother introduced me to Candy Crush about a year ago.
Stupid stuff I thought !!!

One year on - it has taken me a year to get to level 167.
Some levels are easier than others, but also there have been times when I've been on a level for a few weeks.
Each game doesn't last more that 2 or 3 minutes which I prefer.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

PB, Thanks for the info. That's a lot of levels! I tried to download Crush on my iMac but apparently its only available from 3rd parties and not thru the Apple Store. It is apparently available thru Apple for the iPad and iPhone. I'm a little leary about 3rd party downloads. I also use a "magic pad" as oppossed to a mouse and wonder how that related to gaming on the computer. I do understand Crush is the rage. I was wondering about purchasing a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation. Wonder if anyone used any of those? I do feel that being on the computer is one of the best activities for me when things get out of control. It's not perfect but more often than not it is beneficial. Hope things are going well for you this night, my friend.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I tend to watch videos or listen to public radio shows while I move around. Mostly what I do is caretake my plants - water, repot, trim off leaves, start new plants....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I tend to catch up on computer stuff which can be a bit hit and miss when I've already taken a zopiclone sleeping pill - sometimes when I see one of my posts the following day it can be a bit a surprise.

I have Candy Crush on the main computer and also downloaded onto my Kindle, on the Kindle it would have been downloaded from the Amazon Store.
Our boys are all left home - even if one didn't go too far and bought the house next door - x-boxes etc have all gone with them.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I like the variety of games available at http://games.aarp.org/. I tend to play the 3D Mah Jong games a lot.

I also "discovered" Candy Crush and have it on both my phone and tablet (both are Android). And PB, I am currently stuck on levels 162 (phone) and 167 (tablet) after about six weeks. On the tablet, I just can't seem to get a game where it will give me enough blue candies.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I find if in doubt with Candy Crush, work from the bottom and/or the centre. And match as many double striped candies/ or wrapped candy as possible. Also always stay on top of the chocolate. Nothing that I'm sure you don't already know.
My tablet and pc are synched. My piddly little phone has such a small screen that it would be impossible to use it for any game.
3D Mah Jong is superb but in the middle of the night I like games that are shorter.
Good luck.
Betty

skn0412

Post by skn0412 »

I know this sounds silly ... but old fashioned crossword puzzles ... a great distraction and makes me sleepy too !!! I brought a crossword book when I went for the Clinical Trial, and when I was having trouble sleeping, I would sit and do a few puzzles !! It really helps me....

Hugs !!!
Sue

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

What I love is a free app called Tunein. I have it on my iPad mini and on my iPhone. You can get almost any radio station on it, I think, as well as hundreds of podcasts. I also have Pandora and c-span on my iPhone. So I have plenty to listen to both when I walk around, and when I'm trying to go to sleep. There are some apps that seemed to put me to sleep, such as the PBS News hour, and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Oh, you can also get lots of music stations on Tunein.

And then I have Bridge Baron on my iPad mini and my iPhone. I do love playing Bridge. I have to concentrate hard enough that often the RLS sensation eases up, while I'm waiting for the kratom to kick in.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I love podcasts, too. I love RadioLab - the shows really pull me in and I find myself concentrating on it - and that often lessens the WED.

jul2873, too funny that Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me puts you to sleep :-). I listen to it when I'm in the car and it's on, but never to the podcasts. I, do, however adore This American Life - I often am entranced by those and will stay in my car until they finish or stay up if I'm listening on my computer.

Managing Your RLS

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

This American Life is too interesting. I don't dare listen to it while trying to fall asleep as I'll stay awake to hear the ending. But Wait, Wait is those short, funny segments. I try to concentrate on them, to guess the right answer, but probably because I have no emotional involvement (like I often do with American Life) I fall asleep. It's probably a combination of the show making me feel happy, because it's so funny, and having it be complicated enough that I can lose focus when I'm tired. I don't know, but it's a lovely way to fall asleep.

These podcasts are all free on tunein, as are the stations. It's really the best! I'm giving away all of my radios, as I just carry my iPhone around all day listening to the stations and podcasts on tunein.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You sure are right about not wanting to go to sleep with This American Life. I don't think I've ever not wanted to finish any of the stories!

Managing Your RLS