NYTimes Article on Chronic Pain

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jul2873

NYTimes Article on Chronic Pain

Post by jul2873 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/busin ... ml?hp&_r=0

It's the usual: soldier addicted to opioids who manages to get off of them and then does better. Although it is supposedly a feature, it is clearly functioning as an editorial against opioids.

The comments are interesting, and one in particular seems to be from a WED sufferer. I encourage people who have experience with opioids to add to the comment section, as the article is so one-sided.

Mary

ViewsAskew

Re: NYTimes Article on Chronic Pain

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thank you for alerting us.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Poorly written tripe. Borderline gross misrepresentation of the issue.

About what I've come to expect from The New York Times.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Neco wrote:Poorly written tripe. Borderline gross misrepresentation of the issue.

About what I've come to expect from The New York Times.

This is one of those visceral issues - people take a side and have a very hard time seeing that there could possibly be another way to look at it.

Complex issues rarely have simple answers. There are so many parts to the issue and it's silly to think that one size fits all.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Maybe so, but the whole thing is written like a hit-piece on opiates, even a subsection title reads "kicking the habit"; yet actual addiction is mentioned nowhere in the whole story.

I've fired off an e-mail offering to write a response piece, though I'm leaning towards no interest from them..