Flight attendants and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
profesora

Flight attendants and RLS

Post by profesora »

My cousin was a flight attendant (then "stewardess"!) with United Airlines in the 60's. She recently got together with three other former stews and three of the four of them suffer today from RLS. Anyone else out there with that background? What could be the reason/connection? Thanks for your input...

Neco

Re: Flight attendants and RLS

Post by Neco »

The only likely connection between them, is that they likely went undiagnosed for a long period of time and/or didn't know what it was or how to communicate the problem to the doctor.

Even today you'll run across Doctors who tell people its in their head, or there is nothing wrong with them, etc.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I read somewhere that either the amount or kind of oxygen we have in a plane is different. Perhaps continual exposure to these oxygen levels has something to do with it.

I know that, when I fly, my WED is almost certain to flare up even if my flight is short and in the day time. Until I found kratom I dreaded flying. I wonder if other people on here have a similar experience.

It's really an interesting clue about the flight attendants. I'd love to see a widespread inquiry.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I suppose we also do not know if they have primary (inherited), secondary (to another condition), or of unknown cause. If the cause is different, they are likely not connected.

If they all have primary - then they all just happened to inherit it.

If all unknown, however, that makes it interesting to see a study of people in conditions where oxygen is lower - flight attendants, mountain climbers, pilots, and so on.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.