Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
EeFall

Re: Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

Post by EeFall »

sleepdancer2 wrote:Sounds like when you have a bad night it's really bad. I hate to hear that because I remember those times of torment all too well. Good to read that you have things in good working order regarding your sleep apnea treatment. Since you've got the very expensive machine, sounds like you have central sleep apnea. Wishing you well in managing all this and finding things that help you get some decent sleep, and good luck with the shoulder surgery.

Thank you for your kind note. I slept well last night with about 7 hours sleep. I do have central apnea now but started with obstructive apnea. My third doctor back said it was caused from years of taking methadone for RLS. Another gift of this disease.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:My sister finally had her rotator cuff repair done this week. She will be out of work for 3 weeks. Her other shoulder needs the revered total shoulder. She finally told me today that she will get that done too. She is retiring next February. She will be 62 then. So it will be after that.

I sent doc note asking how long I should tell work I am going to be out and got the following reply (See next paragraph). It looks like he expects it to not be rotator cuff. Do you know what he is talking about? I mostly sit at a desk all day but occasionally have to go out into the factory to investigate problems. We have no light duty type jobs. Isn't my job fairly light duty as far as physical exertion anyways? Like your sister I assumed at least 3 weeks home. If the pain meds don't work I won't sleep and will be a mess for at least a week I would think. How long off do you think I should ask for? I hope all goes well for your sister and she is all fixed up for retirement! Why wait until after retirement?

This is the office assistant:
Please advise and I will write a note for pt
Right shoulder qarthroscopy with subacromial decompression, distal clavicle resection, doubt rotator cuff repair.
This is the doctor:
Able to return to light duties if available usually within 2 weeks. Regular duties can resume anywhere from 2-3 months out depending on intensity of work requirements. This could be longer (reg duties) if a rotator cuff repair was necessary.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Since they are saying arthroscopic surgery, then it would just be a repair of some kind. I found this explanation.
http://ortho-md.com/procedures/subacrom ... ssion.html
Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression is a relatively non-invasive procedure for the treatment of Subacromial Impingement Syndrome.Subacromial Impingement is a condition where the rotator cuff tendon is pinched between the humeral head and the undersurface of the acromion. Read more at the site.

Then:
Distal clavicle resection from this site:
http://shoulder1.com/care/procedures_pf ... lletinid=9

It sounds like day surgery. Two or three weeks is probably good. But because of your pain medication situation, you probably will be in a lot of pain. I slept in a recliner. They suggested that to my sister also. It supports your shoulder and reduces the pain.
Also I used ice packs constantly which reduced the pain.
You will have exercises, which are very important for your recovery.

Also, my sisters doctor told her that if she didn't have the repair done, it would just get worse and the surgery might become more extensive.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Thanks for info. I am thinking I should ask for 3 weeks. I don't want to have to go through the problems after 2 weeks of telling them I'm not going back yet and I think from other surgeries that it is unrealistic to expect I will be okay in 2 weeks, especially with the pain meds not working much. I like the idea about the recliner, sleeping on it while recovering. I won't be cancelling the surgery again it is getting bad enough that I avoid using my right arm as much as possible now.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The other issue for you will be the reduced sleep. Yes, the recliner really helped me. After a week I tried to go back to the bed and ended up back in the recliner for a little longer. Your surgery won't be as bad as mine.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:The other issue for you will be the reduced sleep. Yes, the recliner really helped me. After a week I tried to go back to the bed and ended up back in the recliner for a little longer. Your surgery won't be as bad as mine.

The problem is that he doubted a rotator cuff repair would be necessary but he doesn't really know until he goes in there and it will be almost 5 months since he looked at it. I briefly explained that the pain had changed and I told him I thought it was because a bone spur had gone away suddenly but then this overall pain in shoulder now exists. I guess I will know August 8th when I wake up from the surgery, not really anything I can do about it but worry lol.
Everything is setup for me to take off work for 3 weeks but hopefully I will be able to return after 2 weeks. I know from previous surgeries that the last thing I want to be burdened with is worrying about extending a leave of absence.

Good thing I had 8 hours sleep the last 2 nights because if I fell asleep right now I would have less than 5 hours. Next week I have a checkup with my regular doctor and I am going to let him know my tinnitus is getting worse. It sounds like a high voltage line constantly now and even today I noticed an increase in volume.

The gabapentin has been helping my sleep by taking 600mg at night. Too bad I forgot to take it until 10:30pm tonight. I purchased an Xbox One game console and was playing Wolfenstein 4 tonight (a first person shooter) and got carried away. The game is so realistic that it made me nauseous. My wife can't even watch the game for 2 minutes and it does the same thing lol. Thanks again for the info, I just looked at the links and they were very informative I just hope that is all they have to do when they go into the shoulder but we will see.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

The possible 5 hours sleep went to zero. I laid in bed for 4 hours with my iPhone on the whole time reading while my wife slept. I had no idea not taking my Neurontin until 10:30pm would do that. I thought that within an hour of taking it I would get tired and go to sleep but it never happened. I didn't have RLS symptoms, the Suboxone is working fine but I just could not sleep at all, wide awake.

I am contemplating getting ready for work in a 1/2 hour and starting at 5am rather than 7am as usual. I have done that before when RLS was really bad and by getting to work early when I can't sleep anyway seems to work. By 1:30pm when I get off I will be getting very tired but I should be okay. I have my thingy I wear on my ear when something like this happens while driving that wakes me up if I start to nod off. It actually works too well because sometimes when I look down for something in the car it will go off, very annoying sound and buzzer (which it should be).

It always seems like the third day that I have problems. This is a perfect storm. I slept 8 hours the previous two nights, in fact the last night was probably more like 8 hours 20 minutes. So then the 3rd day zero sleep :lol: It is not because I am not tired, it is similar to drinking too much coffee.

My shoulder is bothering me too, not just physically eithers, I am worried about the surgery. Wow, at one time I had had one surgery my entire life which was at age 3 for a lazy eye correction. Then I started getting health problems related to, sinuses, sleep apnea, TMJ, and RLS and the whole surgery thing seemed to explode. I had a sinus surgery where they did a half dozen procedures at once, then a UPPP that did another 1/2 dozen procedures. Then I broke my middle toe on a coffee table getting up because I hadn't had sleep for days because of RLS. Then I got prostate cancer and they took that out. Then they took a cyst out of my back that ruptured, then they operated on the ulnar nerve by my elbow to return my 2 left fingers to normal (they were numb). I had to also have 2 surgeries to correct a hernia from one of the incisions from the cancer surgery. The last being a few months ago.

I was going to have the shoulder taken care of about a week after the last hernia operation but the bone spur went away and I cancelled it. I was very glad to do it too as I am sick of surgeries. This time after the initial meds wear off from surgery they won't be able to give me anything that works for pain because of Suboxone. The hernia surgery was the same way but I have heard from several people that shoulder surgery is one of the most painful. They gave me oxycodone, I think, last time and they did nothing. I was in so much pain I called up the clinic and was yelling at a few people :oops: I was a little out of my mind with pain. That is where it stands now. The waiting is the hard part. This time though I will know going into it, which I didn't really understand before, that the pain meds won't work. I will just have to bite the bullet and do it cause the arm is rather useless this way and it won't get any better sitting here.

Off to the shower and work.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I do understand what you've been through. I've had so many surgeries, and I'm done. There is no way that I will have another surgery, unless I'm in constant pain.
I imagine that your stress and worry contributes to your sleep issues. Maybe after this surgery, things will calm down a bit and you will be able to sleep a little better with you WED cooperating. You will have less inflammation in your body too.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I do understand what you've been through. I've had so many surgeries, and I'm done. There is no way that I will have another surgery, unless I'm in constant pain.
I imagine that your stress and worry contributes to your sleep issues. Maybe after this surgery, things will calm down a bit and you will be able to sleep a little better with you WED cooperating. You will have less inflammation in your body too.

True. I can't believe I made it the whole day at work. I am sitting home now exhausted but I feel good in knowing I was able to work. It took 2 cups of coffee, a venti soy mocha, and some extra snacks to keep going though :lol: I am stressed and it is because of all the dang surgeries, I am sick of 'em. I do hope this is the last one for at least a year (knock on wood).

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Completely understandable that you are stressed....
How can you not be ??

Actually, there'd be something pretty much amiss, considering what you have to deal with, if you weren't somewhere on the stress ladder.
But it would be nice to come down a couple of rungs :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Polar Bear wrote:Completely understandable that you are stressed....
How can you not be ??

Actually, there'd be something pretty much amiss, considering what you have to deal with, if you weren't somewhere on the stress ladder.
But it would be nice to come down a couple of rungs :)

Thanks. I have gone down a few rungs today! I slept 9 hours 20 minutes last night then the alarm went off. I didn't hear it because I was still sleeping, my wife kicked me awake lol. I had a great day today and start a 4 day vacation to the coast for a family reunion on my wife's side. I sure need a vacation and I have actually saved up some instead of using it cause I was too tired to go in to work. I don't remember last time I slept like that, it was heavenly. After work my wife took me to a place and I had a pedicure while she had a manicure too. Wow they even dipped my feet in hot wax and the chair did a great massage and they also massaged my feet and lower legs. Only second time I have ever done that, so relaxing except for tickling my feet :-)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow - gotta love a day like that! I have to remind myself how important it is to treasure such days. :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Total Bliss - I just love the full works on my feet.... ......
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:Total Bliss - I just love the full works on my feet.... ......

I like it....and hate it. I am very ticklish. So, I love most of it, but not when there are doing things that tickle! I always tell them to use a VERY firm touch.

What I really love are hand massages and head massages. When I get my hair cut and the stylist is super attentive - with a lovely massage during the wash - I feel as if I'm in another world.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

It seems like a little women conspiracy going on :) if more men knew what pedicures and manicures were like with the extra pampering massages I think many more would be going to them. In a way men can be helped
By them more if they are doing labor intensive work. My feet bottoms are really rough also and I go through (literally) many socks and they take the roughness off.

I am writing this from our room looking out at the beach. I am worn out lol slept well last night and took a 3 hour nap today which happens rarely.