Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sojourner

Re: Riding the Big One (RLS 24/7, Hanging Ten)

Post by Sojourner »

"I hope you are doing well. By the way, although I have written what amounts to 4 poetry books and one science fiction books the books I was referring to were one's I was reading. I got to the end of the 15th book, the last in series, and they killed the main character"

Not the Weel of Time by any chance?
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Sojourner wrote:Not the Weel of Time by any chance?

No. The series I was reading is referred to as a space opera, about living in future and flying around the Galaxy, usually involving a war or two. I would rather not mention the series as it would be a spoiler to tell the main character was going to be executed. It actually really ticked me off. It would be like killing off Captain Kirk in Star Trek, you just don't do that unless you can bring him back via a different timeline or something.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I am up to taking 4 gabapentin before bed and then one more a few hours later. Last night I took 2 more as I couldn't stop moving in bed. It has been awhile since that has happened. Tonight I will try 5 before bed. I suppose it will be as all the other meds I have taken, I will soon be at the max dose of 6 or 1800mg.

Does anyone know why doc only wrote it for 6 maximum. If it is not dangerous I have hundreds of extra capsules so I could keep going up if I had to, at least for awhile.

Maybe I should take some of my old mirapex for awhile and get off gabapentin. I get sweats if I don't take enough now though so would be tricky for sure. Thank God suboxone seems to be handling the worst of the RLS. I just wish it wouldn't mess with my personality.

I am trying to get set so I can retire by 2017 if I have to, trying to pay off our debt now and thinking of how to save money, something I have never had to deal with much. I am spoiled. Lol

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Actually, I was up to 2400 mg. (3 x 800) as my maximum before I stopped seeing any more benefit from the gaba. Think I read someplace that you really don't gain much more in absorbion of the gaba per 600mg dose. So even if I was taking an 800mg dose, I really was absorbing significant more of the gaba than if I was taking a 600 mg dose. I think the absorbion issue with gaba is one that is suppossed to be somewhat better controlled with Horizant (pregabaiin, I think). I have not tried that.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The effective maximum to get benefit is going to vary from person to person. Gabapentin is only adsorbed by a small portion of the small intestines. The modification that they made for Horizant allows adsorption by the rest intestinal trace and then once in the blood stream, the drug is changed back to simple gabapentin.
Personally, I am currently on 1200mg. I tried taking Horizant and felt - for me - that there was no benefit. I did not see that the Horizant worked any better or any worse, but that was me. And because one cost MANY times more than the other, I decided to stick with generic gabapentin.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

EeFall wrote:I am up to taking 4 gabapentin before bed and then one more a few hours later. Last night I took 2 more as I couldn't stop moving in bed. It has been awhile since that has happened. Tonight I will try 5 before bed. I suppose it will be as all the other meds I have taken, I will soon be at the max dose of 6 or 1800mg.

Does anyone know why doc only wrote it for 6 maximum. If it is not dangerous I have hundreds of extra capsules so I could keep going up if I had to, at least for awhile.

Maybe I should take some of my old mirapex for awhile and get off gabapentin. I get sweats if I don't take enough now though so would be tricky for sure. Thank God suboxone seems to be handling the worst of the RLS. I just wish it wouldn't mess with my personality.

I am trying to get set so I can retire by 2017 if I have to, trying to pay off our debt now and thinking of how to save money, something I have never had to deal with much. I am spoiled. Lol

I hope the retirement plan goes as planned. It's not too long now.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We're all different...I can say that I augmented in less than two weeks the first time I took a DA, and the same day for the next three. But, after a 2-3 year hiatus, I was able to use it again, albeit briefly. Take it 3-4 days, stop again. I've done that now for several years - no augmentation. Worth a try, I'd say.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Sojourner wrote:Actually, I was up to 2400 mg. (3 x 800) as my maximum before I stopped seeing any more benefit from the gaba. Think I read someplace that you really don't gain much more in absorbion of the gaba per 600mg dose. So even if I was taking an 800mg dose, I really was absorbing significant more of the gaba than if I was taking a 600 mg dose. I think the absorbion issue with gaba is one that is suppossed to be somewhat better controlled with Horizant (pregabaiin, I think). I have not tried that.

Awesome news! I have been taking 1500mg the last few nights and it is working so far. I hope it doesn't get to having to go over 1800mg but it is comforting to know the line is a couple of more 300mg. No way to know what the future might bring, it could be what I am taking now will last a long while. There was a time when I thought I would never sleep this well, I feel very fortunate.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:
I hope the retirement plan goes as planned. It's not too long now.

It is more like the retirement emergency plan, if I can work 3 years past that date for Medicare to kick in. I doubt I would be able to afford medical insurance, maybe just the bare minimum catastrophic type. My suboxone alone would cost probably a $100 a week, with my current insurance it is about a 1/10 of that.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

EeFall wrote:
Sojourner wrote:Awesome news! I have been taking 1500mg the last few nights and it is working so far. I hope it doesn't get to having to go over 1800mg but it is comforting to know the line is a couple of more 300mg. No way to know what the future might bring, it could be what I am taking now will last a long while. There was a time when I thought I would never sleep this well, I feel very fortunate.

I had a pretty good run on the gaba for quite a few years so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Wishing all who visit here some peace this night.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

EeFall wrote:
Sojourner wrote:Actually, I was up to 2400 mg. (3 x 800) as my maximum before I stopped seeing any more benefit from the gaba. Think I read someplace that you really don't gain much more in absorbion of the gaba per 600mg dose. So even if I was taking an 800mg dose, I really was absorbing significant more of the gaba than if I was taking a 600 mg dose. I think the absorbion issue with gaba is one that is suppossed to be somewhat better controlled with Horizant (pregabaiin, I think). I have not tried that.

Awesome news! I have been taking 1500mg the last few nights and it is working so far. I hope it doesn't get to having to go over 1800mg but it is comforting to know the line is a couple of more 300mg. No way to know what the future might bring, it could be what I am taking now will last a long while. There was a time when I thought I would never sleep this well, I feel very fortunate.

:D :clap:

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Guess what visited me about 10:30 pm last night? Yeah I woke up moving around like a madman. I was whipping my head around like crazy, while moving my legs trying to stay in bed but no. I have been up all night, most of the night pacing back and forth through the living room, dining room, and the kitchen. It has been a long time since I was back to this.

We are on a very strict 30 day Paleo diet where we don't even use artificial sweetener, this is about day 17 of diet. I spent much of the night trying to figure out why this has happened. Why did my body ignore my 4mg of Suboxone. Why did it ignore the 1200mg gabapentin, then 300mg more when I realized something was very wrong. I had taken only 1200mg of gabapentin the night before and it seemed to work. I am afraid that 1500mg is making my morning at work not so good, I feel very doped up.

The only thing I have done differently is to go to the dentist Monday. He gave me a shot of Novocaine. It was odd driving home, I felt pretty dang high and I realized I was driving too fast and then took it easy. Isn't Novocaine just for local numbing? Could it be messing me up? And how could a shot on Monday mess my sleep up on Tuesday night? Monday night I slept but was fairly restless, the important part was I was able to stay in bed. I just can't think of anything else that I did that could cause this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procaine
Look at the above link under Adverse effects. OMG.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Novacaine ALWAYS makes my whole body jittery - I tremble and feel very anxious. I truly dislike it. So, it must affect your whole body in some way.

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:Novacaine ALWAYS makes my whole body jittery - I tremble and feel very anxious. I truly dislike it. So, it must affect your whole body in some way.

Interesting, you just confirmed what I thought. It slightly bothered me the next night but then I was fine again. I suppose I never noticed it before because my RLS usually was not under this much control and probably just didn't notice after having a shot at the dintist any difference.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

Went to dentist today and got another shot. Crossing fingers that it won't mess me up. The last 2 nights I had to take 1 mg extra suboxone at midnight as I woke up squirming.

Could it be the 1500 mg of gabapentin? It's not like mirapex is it? Augmenting?