Sleep has changed for the better !

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

Sleep has changed for the better !

Post by debbluebird »

I don't know how long this will last, and I still really can't believe it's happening. First I will go back a few years. From my early 20's 1975 until about 1992 I did not have WED/PLM. I went to bed at 9 pm and slept until 7 am, 10hrs, most nights. As a little kid I even slept more, 12 hrs. Then the WED/PLM started and my life changed a bit. Sleeping about 8 hrs. Then menopause and sleep reduced to 6 hrs. Also since 1975, I always get up once during the night to the bathroom. So that means getting up after 3 hrs of sleep when I was sleeping only 6 hrs. During the last 20 years the WED/PLM has had it's ups and downs.
Here is my sleep for at least the last month. I'm sleeping 10 to 12 hrs at night, with only getting up once. I'm sleeping at least 6 hrs very soundly. My husband is up a lot at night and I am not hearing him at all, or the dog. I just can't believe how much sleep I'm getting. I've only had a few little flare ups, that don't last long. The only thing that has changed, is I have less inflammation in my body and I have been started on thyroid medication. :D

EeFall

Re: Sleep has changed for the better !

Post by EeFall »

I wonder if it could be your thyroid.

"Hypothyroidism is most typically associated with depression, while hyperthyroidism is more commonly associated with anxiety or panic attacks."

"Feeling exhausted when you wake up, feeling as if 8 or 10 hours of sleep a night is insufficient or being unable to function all day without a nap can all be signs of thyroid problems. (With hyperthyroidism, you may also have nighttime insomnia that leaves you exhausted during the day.)"

From Top 10 Signs That You May Have a Thyroid Problem
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_star ... igns_2.htm

Whatever it is I sure hope it continues :!: :thumbup: :wave: :clap:

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yeah, me too. Most of my life, before WED/PLM I would complain to my Mother that I was tired, even though I was getting all of that sleep. They would check my thyroid through the years. Always fine. Since I started the CPAP in 2009 I wondered if I had sleep apnea most of my life. Now, I'm feeling rested most of the time. When I first started taking the thyroid med I was sleeping all night and a nap during the day.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Yeah, me too. Most of my life, before WED/PLM I would complain to my Mother that I was tired, even though I was getting all of that sleep. They would check my thyroid through the years. Always fine. Since I started the CPAP in 2009 I wondered if I had sleep apnea most of my life. Now, I'm feeling rested most of the time. When I first started taking the thyroid med I was sleeping all night and a nap during the day.

Sounds like your body must have had to adjust to the new thyroid meds. Are you hypo or hyper? :-) I think you mentioned awhile back that you were taking levothyroxine. That is what I take for hypothyroidism, I don't take much though. Makes me wonder.

I assume you are still taking your RLS meds? If so are you taking the same amount? Very exciting. :shock:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've read a few endocrinologists who believe we just do not have the right tests for hypo and hyper thyroid issues. That people can be symptomatic for up to 20 years before the tests show positive. They suggest treating by symptoms and response. If you have the symptoms and you respond to medication, take it.

But, not many doctors feel that way! I know at least three people for whom this has been true, though, and you make four.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

EeFall wrote:
debbluebird wrote:Yeah, me too. Most of my life, before WED/PLM I would complain to my Mother that I was tired, even though I was getting all of that sleep. They would check my thyroid through the years. Always fine. Since I started the CPAP in 2009 I wondered if I had sleep apnea most of my life. Now, I'm feeling rested most of the time. When I first started taking the thyroid med I was sleeping all night and a nap during the day.

Sounds like your body must have had to adjust to the new thyroid meds. Are you hypo or hyper? :-) I think you mentioned awhile back that you were taking levothyroxine. That is what I take for hypothyroidism, I don't take much though. Makes me wonder.

I assume you are still taking your RLS meds? If so are you taking the same amount? Very exciting. :shock:

Yes, the levothyroxine is for hypothyroidism. Only taking 50 mcg. My hair had been falling out during the past year.
Still taking Methadone 5mg, but taking less. The max that I take is 3 tabs. Last night I took 1 1/2 tabs. One at 7pm, the 1/2 at 5 am. I had been taking the first one at 5 pm for many years. I decided to see if I could move it to 7 pm and maybe go all night with one tablet. When I woke up at 5:30 am I took the 1/2 tab. Then slept til 8 am. Went to sleep about 11 pm. Since I'm not waking up at 3 to take a whole tab, I thought I would just cut it to 1/2.
At my worst in the past year I was taking 1 tab at 5 pm, 1 tab about midnight, just before going to sleep, and 1 tab around 3 to 4 am. Then sometimes I would wake up by 7 or so with WED/PLM.
Last week we were in the car all day traveling and I had WED/PLM around midnight, just before going to sleep. So as I started to relax it started. But I took a tab, got up, walked around and it was gone. So when I do have symptoms it doesn't take long to get rid of.
So, I don't know why it's gotten so good, other than these changes. Also with all the joint replacements, the inflammation is reduced. When the knees and hips were bad before the replacements, my WED/PLM was bad too.
Some nights, it feels like I never had WED/PLM. I have to remember to take the Methadone. I feel very fortunate and very grateful. During the very bad periods, I thought I would loose my mind.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:Yes, the levothyroxine is for hypothyroidism. Only taking 50 mcg. My hair had been falling out during the past year.

I only take 25 mcg. It is like they started me on it several years ago and then never said anything about it.
debbluebird wrote:So, I don't know why it's gotten so good, other than these changes. Also with all the joint replacements, the inflammation is reduced. When the knees and hips were bad before the replacements, my WED/PLM was bad too.
Some nights, it feels like I never had WED/PLM. I have to remember to take the Methadone. I feel very fortunate and very grateful. During the very bad periods, I thought I would lose my mind.

Maybe it does have something to do with your body being fixed up, maybe a combination of that and the thyroid medicine. Whatever it is I hope it continues for you :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Based on anecdotal reports, most of us say it's worse when things are bad. So, makes sense it would be better when those things are resolved. Oh, just thought of secondary WED. It gets much better, sometimes going away, when the main condition is resolved.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

EeFall wrote:
debbluebird wrote:Yes, the levothyroxine is for hypothyroidism. Only taking 50 mcg. My hair had been falling out during the past year.

I only take 25 mcg. It is like they started me on it several years ago and then never said anything about it.
debbluebird wrote:So, I don't know why it's gotten so good, other than these changes. Also with all the joint replacements, the inflammation is reduced. When the knees and hips were bad before the replacements, my WED/PLM was bad too.
Some nights, it feels like I never had WED/PLM. I have to remember to take the Methadone. I feel very fortunate and very grateful. During the very bad periods, I thought I would lose my mind.

Maybe it does have something to do with your body being fixed up, maybe a combination of that and the thyroid medicine. Whatever it is I hope it continues for you :D

You should have your thyroid levels checked periodically. Your needs can change.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:Based on anecdotal reports, most of us say it's worse when things are bad. So, makes sense it would be better when those things are resolved. Oh, just thought of secondary WED. It gets much better, sometimes going away, when the main condition is resolved.

Wouldn't that be great. I always thought that it would just keep getting worse.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

I am going in to see my primary MD in a couple of weeks and will ask him about having a test for it. I do have on my hospital site the results for something like 8 years back. At one point it was too high but mostly right in middle of normal. I would think I would be more towards hyper and they are giving me something to increase it? Maybe if I wasn't taking it it would be very low. Anyway I will ask doc lol

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I tried to cut back on the Methadone, but it looks like I have to stay at 2 tablets. Sometimes I wonder if it's withdrawal symptoms that trigger the WED/PLM.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:I tried to cut back on the Methadone, but it looks like I have to stay at 2 tablets. Sometimes I wonder if it's withdrawal symptoms that trigger the WED/PLM.

That is VERY possible, I think.

Managing Your RLS

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

debbluebird wrote:I tried to cut back on the Methadone, but it looks like I have to stay at 2 tablets. Sometimes I wonder if it's withdrawal symptoms that trigger the WED/PLM.

Withdrawal symptoms of methadone are pretty much identical as RLS (as far as restlessness). I could go into withdrawals after 2 days of not taking it. It would take you at least a month to be totally off of it to know for sure, maybe several months. I am not sure what the solution is, but if this continues for you you might want to go through a month of getting off methadone to see just what is what. The first week is the hardest (the first week after already starting withdrawals I should say, so more like 10 days) and you probably wouldn't sleep at all. It may not be as bad though if you are only taking 10mg, I was taking 15mg.

...but what if you found you no longer had WED?!?

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I have just been diagnosed with tachycardia, and the cardiologist suspects it's due to an overactive thyroid. I hope if it is that, that starting on meds makes my WED go away as well! :)
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.