Has anyone actually tried to get SSI for RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Lovechild3113

Has anyone actually tried to get SSI for RLS?

Post by Lovechild3113 »

Has anyone actually tried getting SSI for their RLS? I have heard people say that you can not get it but I am just curious. ThanksJamie
Jamie Wilderman

becat

Hi Love

Post by becat »

Hi Jamie,
Ii know I've read that a couple of people have gotten SSI around here, but I can't remember just now where that is. And I'm not sure that they were able to get it for RLS.
I have heard that it takes a couple of years to actually get any SSI passed, and it normally is easier to get with a lawyer working on it.
Maybe if you put SSI into the search box on this site it will pull something up. Maybe someone with the info with chime in.
I hope your doing ok. I know it's been awhile since we've chatted. Hope the kids are well. Summer is almost here, this week for us. Tomorrow school is out. :shock:
Hugs to ya.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Jamie,

I have tried to get disability for RLS, but in vain. I have to tell you that I do not live in the USA but in The Netherlands. I have appointed a lawyer who will be working on the case. No high hopes though. My neuro, employer, everyone confirms I can't work, but apparently that doesn't help.

Dr Buchfuhrer from the Cal. supportgroup has the following answer to a question like yours from someone:

"Obtaining disability due to RLS has been a concern. This may vary from state to state but you are right that due to the lack of awareness about the disorder it may not be taken seriously. What is necessary for any disability is to have a knowledgable doctor write a supportive letter validating the need for the disability. This should cary enough weight (if written properly) to help expedite the disability.

The other aspect of this problem is that the vast majority of RLS sufferers (I would estimate well over 95%) should be able to avoid the need for disability and lead normal social and work lives if they receive proper medical treatment. There are many drugs available now that can relieve the symptoms of RLS and allow for full activities including sedentary ones. Before trying to obtain disability please make sure that you have exhausted all the possible medical treatments as disability should only be the last resort which should be needed by very few RLS patients".

The above statement I will take to my neuro next week and talk it over with him. I would like to know if he considers me to belong to the 5%.

I hope this will be some help for you, Jamie.

Corrie

Lovechild3113

Post by Lovechild3113 »

I am on Ultram and it works great, but sometimes I can't get it from the pharmacy for a couple of days and I stay in so much pain to where I can barely function. I have two children that I need to be there for, but I know what you are saying, and thankyou guys for replying to my Subject. I hope everything is going great Lynne.
Jamie Wilderman