University of Alabama

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

University of Alabama

Post by ViewsAskew »

Norma Cuellar has long worked with the WED Foundation to review alternative treatments for WED. She is leading a research study at the Univ of Alabama into meditation and its affect on WED.

Anyone in the area - you might want to see if you can participate.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... g-syndrome
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Re: University of Alabama

Post by cornelia »

It is important to try but I don't think it will not help severe RLS at all. I can imagine though it working for light cases which might be a result of stress and if meditation can take away stress it should help.

To be honest I can't imagine it working for lots of us as meditation gives rest and rest is THE factor for getting RLS.
Corrie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

cornelia wrote:It is important to try but I don't think it will not help severe RLS at all. I can imagine though it working for light cases which might be a result of stress and if meditation can take away stress it should help.

To be honest I can't imagine it working for lots of us as meditation gives rest and rest is THE factor for getting RLS.
Corrie

I would tend to agree. I had a long time mediation practice that I gave up when my symptoms became severe.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I can't imagine it working for lots of us as meditation gives rest and rest is THE factor for getting RLS
I agree - but I also think there must be a connection between mediation and health, and that we need to access it somehow. Our bodies are suffering from systems gone awry, and to heal themselves, to transfer nutrients from the digestive system to cells, for the cells to go about their work of producing energy, our bodies need substantial periods of time when they're not pumped with adrenaline and waiting for the next disaster. I know my stress levels have been so high at various points in my life that I'm sure I've continued to be in a state of mild stress even when I was "relaxing".

Most of us probably need to make a conscious effort to shut down the sympathetic NS every day, to break the habitual sympathetic activation. Meditation is a tried and true way to do this - but we simply can't be still long enough to allow it to happen. Even when my WED symptoms are calm, if I try to meditate, I fall asleep. I do it anyway; I figure every little bit helps; but how can you ever enter a truly deep state when you either fall asleep or are overwhelmed by torture as soon as you sit still?

Walking meditation is nice, but it just doesn't cut it. You can't enter a deeply contemplative state while watching that you don't trip or walk into something.

I don't know the answer. But I suspect that meditation could be very useful to us if we could figure out how to do it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.