WED and Kidney disease

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

WED and Kidney disease

Post by debbluebird »

I found out a few months ago that I'm in stage 3 kidney disease. Due to my short term memory loss I don't remember if I mentioned this before. Right now I'm supposed to make sure that I drink 8 to 10 cups of water every day. I have found that if I don't keep track on paper I don't remember how much water I've had. The first of November they will draw the labs again to see if there is any change. If it's better, then that's good. If it's the same or worse then I will see a kidney doctor. Also I read that kidney disease makes WED worse. I've been having more flare ups lately, so it makes me wonder. My GFR lab result was 40. The time before it was 45. Normal is 60 and above. Time will tell. The thing is if this makes WED worse and I can't sleep, then what's the point of going through dialysis. I know I am worrying before I need to, but that's how I am.
As I sit here, my WED woke me up tonight, this is what I'm thinking about.

Polar Bear

Re: WED and Kidney disease

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb - I am unfamiliar with readings and levels, but I do want to wish you every success and hope that your level will increase.
And as for worrying before you need to - indeed I fully understand the 'overthinking' mechanism, we know it does no good.... but.....

I hope your next results will be favourable.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You mentioned you'd had some tests, but I didn't realize it was stage 3 disease. What is the prognosis?

You are right about renal failure making WED worse, unfortunately. I hope you can control the disease well enough that your WED doesn't get terrible. I do hope it doesn't and that your next test comes back showing improvement.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I won't know anymore until the next lab test the first of Nov. All she said was if my number was still 40 or lower that I would see a kidney doctor. I don't remember when you start dialysis. Probably stage 5. Sometimes you can still urinate, but are not getting rid of the poisons. The other thing is that since we live in a very small town, I would either have to travel an hour to and from for dialysis or move to a larger town. Dialysis is three times a week, three hours a time. So five hours for me. There are other alternatives, like peritoneal dialysis, but I am just not up on the latest stuff. Also I'm sure it's individual, choosing what is best for each person. Also since we live in altitude, 8200 feet, that might play a factor with my blood pressure. Kidney disease can mess that up too. We might have to move because of that. Moving for us will be difficult, financially. Like I said, I'm worrying now, when I shouldn't be. But I like to take things out, looking at my alternatives. Then when I know something, I will be able to make the decisions easier.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A ripple gathers momentum, grows to a bigger ripple.....
Goes from not feeling well to considering moving house for treatment.
And of course, all of us would be crossing every bridge imaginable in our mind when only a few bridges will need crossed.
How can we not?
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry you are worrying. I think a lot of us do what you're doing - try to stay ahead of it and figure it all out.

I hope you find a place of relative peace relatively soon :-). As you said, you won't know until November and that's a long time to worry :-(.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks, to you Ann and Polar Bear. I'm really not in such a state of constant worry. It helps me to vent here. I have been feeling so good since recovering from all of the surgeries, that I am doing more. I have volunteered for things here in town. We have our annual Harvest Crafts Festival in Nov. which I said I would help with. Then this weekend is our County Fair. I have volunteered to help with that too, planning for next year. There will be meetings throughout the year for that. I'm also in a quilting group. I just decided that as long as I feel good and can get around I'm going to do stuff. All kind of stuff that I never had time for when I worked.
I just didn't want you all to think that I'm constantly worrying. Plus I can't really do anything about it except to drink water and wait for the next results. But it is on my mind.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That makes me feel better :-). And, it sounds like you are really feeling pretty good in many ways.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb - :thumbup:
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, and I realized that I didn't want to worry you both. Last year at this time I couldn't walk across the living room. Now I'm walking everywhere and feel like I did five years ago.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:Yes, and I realized that I didn't want to worry you both. Last year at this time I couldn't walk across the living room. Now I'm walking everywhere and feel like I did five years ago.

That is really good news.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'd like to report that the kidneys have improved, to almost normal. I don't know why, but I have always felt that it was all related to the meds that I take. I've lost a little more weight, have cut my blood pressure med in half. Plus I try to keep the water at about 10 cups as day. That takes effort. So for once it's good news.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

That's great news! Keep drinking water and enjoy the craft and harvest festivals. Hopefully they will keep you busy.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb.... what wonderful news. Well done !!
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wonderful!!!!!

Managing Your RLS