Can a Memory Foam Mattress make a difference for RLS symptom

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
radioray

Can a Memory Foam Mattress make a difference for RLS symptom

Post by radioray »

I am new to the RLS board but have been diagnosed with RLS about 20 years ago. I really want to hear from members and not just general web blogs and ads if a new mattress would help with my condition. My wife is sceptical and does not really want to change unless it's going to make a difference. Thanks

ViewsAskew

Re: Can a Memory Foam Mattress make a difference for RLS sym

Post by ViewsAskew »

Help in what way?

It helps my relationship with my husband in that all of my movements do not wake him. But, it doesn't prevent my symptoms.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

radioray

Post by radioray »

Thanks for responding. My question is will it help me to get a better night's sleep. I wake up a lot now and get up and walk around way too much. Can a different or better mattress help to stay in bed and sleep better with RLS?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

radioray wrote:Thanks for responding. My question is will it help me to get a better night's sleep. I wake up a lot now and get up and walk around way too much. Can a different or better mattress help to stay in bed and sleep better with RLS?

Some people find that vibration helps and there are some vibrating mattresses. Not sure how to find out if vibration helps you or not. It doesn't help everyone.

There is a device that is likely less expensive than a mattress that vibrates - it lays in the bed with you. Here is some info about it: http://www.webmd.com/brain/restless-leg ... s-syndrome

No one here, that I know of, has tried it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I got a memory foam mattress about 5 years ago, comfy and I liked it.
It didn't make any difference to WED symptoms but part of my reasoning was to make my ups and downs and walkabouts less disturbing to my husband.

There are other issues that also affect my comfort such as arthritis and fibromyalgia. In May of this year I spent 3 weeks sleeping on a very uncomfortable bed, this really set off my hip pains, and upon return home I still had discomfort on my own memory foam. We then bought a 3" memory foam topper that was slightly softer that the main mattress. Ohhhh... I love it. And now do so look forward to the comfort. Only for a little tho, while because eventually I am up and down again with WED symptoms and insomnia, but it is much easier on my joints.

Sorry that I can't say it improves WED/RLS symptoms, but I'm still glad I got it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have slept on memory foam toppers for years. Last year we bought a regular memory foam mattress (not the expensive one) and then added a softer topper on that just like Polar Bear. I love it. But it's for my arthritis and back pain. I find that I just melt in it and it's very comfortable. I don't think it helps my legs, but like everyone else said it reduces the movement affecting your partner.