Anybody have tips to fool the brain?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Yankiwi

Anybody have tips to fool the brain?

Post by Yankiwi »

Mostly in the afternoon and evening if I start getting symptoms I can just get up, walk around and do something to distract my brain so it forgets about my achy legs.

Last night I took my ropinerol about a half hour later than I should have and missed the window of opportunity to fall asleep. As I lay in bed my legs started to hurt more and more (you know how it is) and after a half hour I knew I had to get up. I went downstairs and washed the kitchen floor (I have a very small kitchen) on my hands and knees. Then I sat on a Swiss ball massaging my calves for about five minutes to wind down from the floor activity and was able to get to sleep almost right away.

If you have a special trick or activity, please share. These tricks wouldn't necessarily be the same as hot baths or compression.

ViewsAskew

Re: Anybody have tips to fool the brain?

Post by ViewsAskew »

I use a timer so I don't miss doses. I have one on my phone, one on my computer, and a manual timer. Between them, I rarely miss a dose. But, sometimes, it still happens.

I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. There are many things listed in the Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, Diet section that would help - reading through some older posts may give you many ideas.

Generally, we either have to keep our minds busy - Sudoku, crosswords, solving math problems, etc., or do activity. We all do different things. I prefer mental stimulation if I'm up. If I'm in bed, I do some weird leg exercises I can't even explain, lol. I tried awhile back and couldn't. All I do, basically, is tire out my muscles using slow movements and gravity so that my muscles shake. That often is enough to let me get to sleep.

And, as you did, I almost always do some housework :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Thanks, a timer is a great idea. I'll go set one up on my iPhone now.

I, too, do lots of weird leg exercises but if I'm in bed they almost never work. Sometimes a mini backbend that puts pressure on my Achilles works but I have to keep it for about a minute or more. And I try to do it without waking up my husband. Luckily, he's usually a good sleeper.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My phone alarm rings 4 x daily for medications.
Even grandchildren shout to me if phone alarm goes off and I'm not in the room .. 'Tablet Time Granny B.' :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

It's nice to have grandchildren to help remind you, they will know all about schedules and time.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Recently I've started to do jigsaw puzzles in the middle of the night (along with all the other things I do). There is enough concentration to help my symptoms go away faster than just hoping they will.