A patron saint for RLS sufferers

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Yankiwi

A patron saint for RLS sufferers

Post by Yankiwi »

Last night after my usual unwanted wake-up call around 2:00am, before I could force myself out of bed, I started to think there must be a patron saint for people with WED/RLS. After all, there's one for everything else. At first I thought of Lazarus but even though getting up in the morning after a bad night might seem like arising from the tomb, it isn't quite that extreme. After looking on line I found the perfect saint for us.

Saint Bartholomew the Apostle

He's the patron saint against neurological disease and against twitching.

He was flayed alive at Albanopolis, Armenia. There's a gruesome statue of him with his own skin draped around him in Milan (I saw a photo on Wikipedia.)

ViewsAskew

Re: A patron saint for RLS sufferers

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know very little about Christianity - what is the purpose of a patron saint?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I know RLS doesn't have regard for race, colour, creed etc. To help explain better than I could have off the cuff, I cobbled together a few sentences from various websites.

A patron saint is a saint regarded as the special guardian of a person, group, trade, country, etc (eg St Patrick for Ireland or St Christopher for travellers).

The veneration and recognition of saints is found in various forms of Catholicism including Eastern Orthodox and among Anglicans (Episcopalians). Some branches of Protestantism regard saints as a form of idolatry.

Saints aren't prayed to directly but as intercessors who can understand our earthly struggles and will join us in prayers to God for assistance.

A patron saint isn't going to cure RLS but might help in some small way, to ease symptoms for a little while, help us find the right treatment or just help us cope.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for the info.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.