Decongestants

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
pab628

Decongestants

Post by pab628 »

Please tell me what you take (over-the-counter) for sinus congestion due to allergies?

Rustsmith

Re: Decongestants

Post by Rustsmith »

The true decongestants, such as Sudafed, are not supposed to cause problems for most with WED. Personally, I cannot use them but I do not think this is tied to my WED.

The thing to avoid are the early generation antihistamines, such as Bendryl and Chlortrimeton. The second generation antihistamines can be used by most, but it may be a trial and error process to find one that works for you. These products include Claratin, Allegra and Zyrtec. The second generation products are not supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier, although Zyrtec has been reported by some to be a problem by some. I would suggest trying Claratin first to see how it works since it seems to have the least issues.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

I have a WED Foundation card showing the products to "NOT" use and a few that should be safe, including Claritin and Allegra. It says some have trouble with Zyrtec. I guess I'll try Claritin. Thanks Rustsmith.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've heard that Claritin is OK, unfortunately the only way to be sure it to try it.
But then you would know for the future.......
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've use Claritin without issue. But, as Polar Bear noted, trying it is the only way to be sure.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I use a nasal spray, Flixonase (Flonase in the USA). I'm too scared to try any of the tablets but the spray works well for me. And for colds I use nose drops at night after some really bad nights with the OTC night cold medicine. I learned the hard way, long before the RLS lists came out.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

In the US, Flonase is a prescription drug. However, there are over the counter topical nasal steroid sprays that are available. A typical product name for one of these is Nasalcort.
Steve

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I needed something but was afraid to try that 24 hour Claritin. What if it kicked up the WED and I had the 24 hour dose? So I bought the children's Claritin in a liquid form, and took the tiny dose. And saw it was okay. So you might want to try that.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:I've use Claritin without issue. But, as Polar Bear noted, trying it is the only way to be sure.

Even then you can't be sure it will always be okay apparently :D as I took Claritin (Costco Kirkland brand) for years without any problems but recently discovered that I cannot take it anymore because of RLS symptoms.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sudafed was the first medication that made my legs go in the evening. At that time I didn't have any issues at night. It was almost five years before my WED/PLM started.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

I tried the Claritin (twice) and had no problem.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

debbluebird wrote:Sudafed was the first medication that made my legs go in the evening. At that time I didn't have any issues at night. It was almost five years before my WED/PLM started.

I remember taking something when I was in high school - I had a sinus infection, I think. I had WED at the time, but really mild - so just a few minutes at night once in awhile and never during the day. I remember being on the couch in the afternoon, sleepy and tired from the medication- and having this HORRIBLE experience where I couldn't really get up/wake up, but my legs were going crazy. It was so terrible! I never took the medicine again, but at the time had no idea why that medication caused that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My Doctor tells me I have allergies and my sinuses are all inflamed and blocked. I took a claritin tonight, which caused my RLS to kick in.
Now what ?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

debbluebird - perhaps the only option is to ignore the antihistamines that are known to be a problem and try the others one by one and see what happens. We know how differently we will all react to medications and that what works for one may not work for another. It's trial and error. I have no doubt that you know this and may already have done this.
Disheartening when you need sinus relief now.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

The older anti-histamines are the ones to be avoided: sedating ones that cross the blood-brain barrier. The most common ones containt diphenhydramine or doxylamine.

The ones we can use, as WED/RLS patients, are the second-generation, non-sedating, H1-blocker anti-histamines, of which Claritin is one (its active ingredient is lortadine). So if this is bothering you, you could try one of the others: cetirizine is sold as Zyrtec, and fexofenadine is sold as Allegra.

Or you could try a nasal spray, instead of a pill.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.