Hubby and I Match!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Hubby and I Match!

Post by ViewsAskew »

My husband has had mild WED for many years. So, I am very lucky that he totally gets what I go through. He also has sleep apnea (which I hope not to have to understand personally for a long, long time, if at ever!).

A couple years ago, he started having trouble with the CPAP treatment. First, he started getting pain in his sinuses - sharp, nasty pain. It started small, then became intolerable. He had to stop using the machine. He saw an ENT and the doc had NO idea what it was, why it was caused, or what to do. Husband stopped using the machine for a couple months, hoping whatever it was would heal and he could use the machine again.

And, he was able to. Except this time he started getting terrible stomach issues - gas, bloating, pain. He would wake up and his stomach was literally distended. He could burp for what seemed like a full minute. He tried chin straps to keep his mouth shut, but it didn't seem to help. He finally gave up.

He finally found and used those new Provent thingees. I honestly don't think it helped as much as he needed, but he wasn't stopping breathing, at least. I kept hounding him to see a new sleep doc (new insurance plan, new docs). he didn't believe there was anything that could help. I did some research (that helped EeFall recently) and hubby finally agreed that he might not know everything (really???) and saw a doc in December. He had two sleep studies over the last month or so- one to see how bad the apnea is, then the second aided with a different machine and a different mask.

He saw the doc today to get all the results. The doc said that she was surprised that he hadn't killed himself in a car crash because he sleep was so bad. He only had 1% of total sleep in stage 3 and 4, oxygen saturation of 80% (just one percent lower and it would be severe instead of moderate). They tried CPAP in the study, but it didn't work - there were still events - so they switched to BiPAP

But, here's the fun part - he has PLMs! I already knew it, but now it's documented. So, we both have WED and PLMs. The family that has disrupted sleep together stays togeher???? Lol. The good news is that his PLMs were not associated with any sleep disruption. And, in the second study with the mask, he had no PLMs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Hubby and I Match!

Post by Polar Bear »

I like your humour .... ""here's the fun part "" !!
You have to laugh :roll:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation