changing doctors

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
peanut1

changing doctors

Post by peanut1 »

I have a sleep neuro I see in town, Dr. Hudson who is well known in the community and has given presentations with Dr. Becker and some of the other movers and shakers in the area. I have heard great things about Dr. Ondo and made a tentative appointment with him. I have had several problems with medications from insomnia (methodone and neurpo) to severe nausea (horizant) to some not working as well anymore (clonazapam and lunesta.) Gabapentin also causes some nausea so I'm hesitant to go to 900 or 1200, And I'm scared to combine some of the meds like clonazepam and neupro in case the clonazepam completely stops working due to my WED adapting to it. The worse thought in the world is that NOTHING will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I feel I have to use the lunesta and clonazepam sparingly and up the dosage as needed.

In light of all this I would like feedback (if any of you have it) on Dr. Ondo and if you think this might be worth the switch. Does he work with these types of issues?

ViewsAskew

Re: changing doctors

Post by ViewsAskew »

Steve is away from the board for awhile - hopefully he'll see your question when he gets back. I know he sees Dr Ondo. I wonder what would happen if you wrote him and asked?

I hear you with the terror over nothing working....that truly is scary, isn't it?

BTW peanut1 - I'll be in San Antonio in a month or two. Would you please PM me if you know of anyplace I need to make sure I eat or visit. I lived in Dallas before and have done the sightseeing in Austin and SA multiple times, but things have likely changed a lot since I left! I haven't visited SA in at least 8 years, I'd guess, and at least 10 years since I've been in Austin.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Re: changing doctors

Post by Rustsmith »

peanut1, your issues are exactly the sort of thing that Dr Ondo addresses with his patients. I do not know whether he will be able to find a better resolution that you are getting from Dr Hudson, but it is definitely worth a try. I do not usually experience the less desirable side effects of medications, but do have issues with some of them not being particularly effective. He currently has me on a combined therapy (Neupro and gabapentin). This has sort of worked for about 9 months now, but I still have sleep management issues (up at 3AM) and he is working with me to find a resolution to that.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.