What makes your RLS worse?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

In my mind, relaxation to an RLS sufferer is like grain alcohol to a recovering alcoholic.

No kidding! I just wrote a post about that very thing in another thread.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

bbengtsson wrote:In my mind, relaxation to an RLS sufferer is like grain alcohol to a recovering alcoholic.

Sometimes I get overcome with exhaustion in the evening, and even though I know it's going to mess up my attempt to sleep for real later in the night, I give up and let myself fall asleep. Naturally, since it isn't *really* time to sleep, I'm only down for maybe 30-60 minutes, tops, and then I'm wide awake again. Except, I wake up with raging RLS, even though it normally wouldn't peak for another hour or three. It's really annoying.

I think it's true that relaxation can literally "bring on" RLS, as opposed to merely making whatever RLS is there more apparent.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Aiken wrote:
I think it's true that relaxation can literally "bring on" RLS, as opposed to merely making whatever RLS is there more apparent.

Agreed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

This is so true.

We have all been there. Exhausted ... but can't sit down and relax, cos then we've got creepy crawlies as well.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I have always thought that the words 'rest' and 'relaxation' have to be taken out of the dictionary for RLS patients; horrible words for us!
Corrie

Wayne

Re:

Post by Wayne »

Helen518 wrote:Hi - I wanted to report that I took Mucinex a few hours ago in desperation. I usually avoid cold meds like the plague, but this cold is truly kicking my butt.

So far, the mucinex has not bothered my RLS at all!

I take methadone for my RLS and pharmacist said it was OK to take these two meds together. Hope this info helps someone thru the cold season!

Replying to an old post but I just feel like whining today. With the 40 degree drop in temperature in less than 8 hours, followed by two cold, rainy, and damp days. My sinuses started draining like a faucet over the weekend and last night, for the first time in quite a while, I was kept awake by something other than RLS. I had so much drainage, chest congestion, and constant coughing that I ended up propping myself up in a reclined position, and still woke up with a throat full of phlegm and gagging. Not only that, I also painfully twisted my shoulder from a sudden coughing fit.

I was the first customer in the door of the pharmacy today, the pharmacist (who also sounded like he was having the same issue to a lesser degree) recommended mucinex and it really has brought the sinus post nasal drip and congestion under control.

Whether it affects my RLS or not. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Whew. Done whining now, just had to get that off my chest (chest...get it?).

badnights

Re: What makes your RLS worse?

Post by badnights »

:)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.