Golf & WED/RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
nfmiller

Golf & WED/RLS

Post by nfmiller »

I'm a keen golfer & play 2 or 3 times a week - yes, I'm retired! I've noticed that the RLS is much worse in the evenings after I've played golf than the days that I don't. I need to take about 50% more medication (mirapexin) than I would normally. Why should this be? Given that RLS is supposed to be caused by a deficiency in the brain, why should exercise make any difference? Has any one else experienced this?

Polar Bear

Re: Golf & WED/RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, exercise is known to be either a help or a hindrence to WED/RLS.
Too much, and it can worsen symptoms.
A happy medium is optimum for helping symptoms and hopefully sleep.
However, you have to work out what is your own happy medium.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some of us find that exercise doesn't do a darn thing one way or the other. But, many of us, as Polar Bear said, find there is the Goldilocks middle ground. If we get regular, moderate aerobic exercise, we're better. If we exercise occasionally - instead of regularly - we often suffer that night. Always has been that way for me.

When I start working out regularly after an absence from it, I find that it take about 1 to 2 weeks for me to acclimate. When I do, I have less WED overall.

Weird stuff, isn't this disease?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

As PB says, exercise is a factor that has proven to trigger WED in many.
However, this one is an individual thing. For some, any significant exercise at all is a problem. For a few, exercise is not a problem - as illustrated be the fact that I am preparing to try to win my age group in a race later this morning.
The problem for you is figuring where you are on this spectrum. Usually, moderate exercise (like walking during the middle of the night :D ) is not a problem and strenuous exercise is all that needs to be avoided.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

nfmiller

Post by nfmiller »

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. I showed the replies to my wife who said, why don't you give up golf - to which I replied, maybe I should play 36 holes instead of 18. :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

nfmiller wrote:Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. I showed the replies to my wife who said, why don't you give up golf - to which I replied, maybe I should play 36 holes instead of 18. :D

Or play everyday instead of just a few times a week.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS