Today's Mail---Jury Summons

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Today's Mail---Jury Summons

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, right. I'm going to sit in a jury box for possibly hours for possibly many, many days. Starting at 8 AM.

HA!

I received a summons a few years ago and I went - I had NO idea what I would say, but figured I'd get out of it somehow if I were selected. The good news? I sat there from 8:30 AM until 2 PM and never was called. In Chicago, several hundred people show up each day. They call people in waves as court rooms need jurors. By 1 - 3 PM, no more juries are impaneled. I was very lucky.

My sleep is even worse now in some ways. It would just about kill me to be there at 8 AM to check in - it's at least a 1 to 1.5 hour travel on public trans to get there, so I'd have to be on the bus/train by 6:30 to be safe. When I get to be before 4 AM, I'm excited, so I'd be awfully tired.

There is an option to say that you have a medical condition. It requires a letter from your doctor. I'm guessing Dr B's office will send me one. I hope so!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Today's Mail---Jury Summons

Post by Polar Bear »

I'd like to think that you'd qualify for a medical exemption.
It's something I hadn't thought about.

I've had several letters over the years about jury service and was able to opt out because I worked in a lawyer's office.
The torture of sitting there for hours didn't arise.
Now I am retired.............
I hadn't thought about a medical exemption.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

In Massachusetts you often don't get selected for a jury for a state case, but if the federal court system calls you: be prepared to sit on some jury. Boy, they don't let you go. So definitely get the letter!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I asked Dr B for a letter - he said to get one from his staff, so sounds like it should work. Now, here's hoping the county accepts it!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.