New CPAP mask and how it relates to my WED/PLM

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debbluebird

New CPAP mask and how it relates to my WED/PLM

Post by debbluebird »

I started using my new CPAP mask two nights ago. I can't believe how I am sleeping. I'm like a dead person. I can really tell the difference. I knew I wasn't getting much sleep with what I was doing. I was exhausted all of the time. It's taking a little to adjust to this new mask. I did find that sleeping on my side worked to help seal it. But when I woke up at 3:30, I was able to sleep on my back the rest of the night. I can only sleep on my side about an hour. My hips start to ache. Anyway I love it. Thanks Steve.
I was in the car yesterday all day, so I did have increased WED/PLM from 1:30 to 3:30. I slept through most of it. I woke up at 3:30 and my husband told me my legs were going since 1:30. He can't sleep when I'm in action. I took an oxycodone instead of the methadone at 3:30 and that helped. It took a few minutes for my legs to settle down, but I didn't wake up until 9 am. I feel like I really slept hard.
I'm hoping that my bad period (the past 2 weeks), will settle down with sleeping better. Plus I won't be in the car all day again for another week. That's always hard for me. When I am in the car like that, I sometimes take my 5 pm Methadone a little early, say about 4 pm. That helps sometimes. I think my bad period started because I was having so much trouble with my mask and not getting any sleep. My legs were going crazy.

Rustsmith

Re: New CPAP mask and how it relates to my WED/PLM

Post by Rustsmith »

deb, so glad that you like the mask. A couple of months ago I had to go back to my old hard plastic mask for just one night. I was so uncomfortable that I thought that never would be able to get to sleep.

I also know exactly what you mean about being a dead person. The first few nights after I got my machine (and started taking pramipexole), I was so tired from sleep deprivation that I do not think that anyone could gave awakened me.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great news, Deb.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I did even better last night. I loosened the straps, like they suggested. I only had the lower straps fairly tight. Went to sleep about 10 pm. I didn't have any WED/PLM until 7 am, after I had to get up to let out the dog. I struggled to stay in bed until 8:30. Also I found that I started having leaks after 4 am. It was the same on the other nights. With my old mask as the night progressed, I would have to tighten the strap just a little. But over all I believe this will work.

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

That's REALLY good news!
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I went away for the weekend and discovered some new things. I didn't take my own pillow, so I used theirs. With their pillow my head was straighter. With my pillow, my chin leans more forward. With their pillow, the mask had fewer leaks. In fact, during the second night, once I got it in place it stayed there and I went to sleep. This is such a relief.
My legs were bad over the weekend. Mainly from being in the car to get there and then sitting a lot during the day. So I didn't get to sleep til about 2 am, and then had to get up at 7 for the breakfasts, and then activities. So I am tired now. I hope I don't have too much trouble tonight, in my own bed.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Pillows, to me, are SO crucial! I just came back from a trip and am SO happy to be back to my pillow.

Sounds like you may need a slightly lower, less lofty, or softer pillow.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My own pillow is so important and I've found that what works best for me is actually a baby cot memory foam pillow. It gives just enough neck support and does not raise me up at all. Much kinder to the neck and shoulders. I don't have any need for a CPAP or the like but do understand how disrupting the wrong pillow can be generally.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:My own pillow is so important and I've found that what works best for me is actually a baby cot memory foam pillow. It gives just enough neck support and does not raise me up at all. Much kinder to the neck and shoulders. I don't have any need for a CPAP or the like but do understand how disrupting the wrong pillow can be generally.

I also find that I like a very short/flattish pillow that does not raise my neck and head. I can't tell you how many I've purchased to find one that works. I almost bought one for children, PB. I found one for stomach sleepers that doesn't have a lot of loft, but is still soft. It took many, many tries.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

This new mask isn't easy, but it's better than what I was doing. Still fussing with pillows.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I would agree that there is a bit of a learning curve with the Anew mask, or maybe I should say an "unlearning" curve of what you did with the hard plastic masks. It is a bit of a challenge to learn exactly how tight it need to be to stay in place while being loose enough to allow the mask to seal itself.

In my case, I use a relatively hard, thick foam pillow. It allows my face and the mask to sink in just a little bit, but not as much as what I would normally find in most hotel rooms where my head sinks almost all the way down to the bed. I also have a memory foam neck pillow that I use on occasion.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm finding that I can get it to work the first four hours or so. Then when I get back to bed and try again, I can't get it to seal. So then I'm fighting it the rest of the night. I'm not giving up.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I have taken to not actually taking the mask off when I get up, but simply unplugging the hose. Yes, you look like a villain from a Freddy Kruger type movie, but you can breath easily and it simplifies getting everything situated again when it is dark and hopefully you are not be completely awake.
Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Actually I did that last night. It did work. I was able for it to work again. The next time I took it off, but I still did ok. Finally the last two hours, I woke myself up with major leaks. But last night was an improvement. I'm hopeful.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I have mastered it. I found that if I place three fingers on each side, on the plastic part and hold for awhile (less than a minute), it seals. Even when I take it off during the night, I can still get it to seal. I figured it out by your tip, of going onto your side. It does seal if you do that.
Thanks for all of your help Steve. This was my last resort.