RLS in arms and movement for relief

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

RLS in arms and movement for relief

Post by Polar Bear »

I've had RLS for about 35 years and it was severe and into my arms and occuring day and evening for many years before I began taking medication.
Nowadays when symptoms break through while I am seated - relaxing, reading, doing puzzle games, it is quite possible that they are in my arm/shoulder and not in my legs at all. (although they don't forget to eventually join the party)

So I put the offending arm/s up into the air, wave it about and do stretches. This doesn't really work.
But - if I get up and walk, the arm symptoms will ease - even without any particular arm stretches or movements/swings.
It appears that walking is sufficient to calm my arms and shoulders.

Has anyone else experienced this ?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Re: RLS in arms and movement for relief

Post by Rustsmith »

I do not usually have problems with my arms, but my more severe breakthroughs will often involve my abdominal muscles. PB, I am like you in that if you get up and start moving around, that usually seems to conotrol the problem.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's strange that walking will ease symptoms that aren't in the legs :roll:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't have it in my arms often, unless it's pretty bad. I honestly don't know if walking helps. I get up, walk, and shake my arms - it gets better. I've never tried just walking!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well... when I'm walking (with arm symptoms) there is likely an element of some natural movement, but definitely not big stretches or shaking.
Just thought it was odd,
whereas with leg symptoms i am tramping, stretching...... walking on the spot doesn't work for me, I have to actually be covering ground
Aren't we strange :roll:
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Aren't we strange :roll:

Indeed!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

I feel it in my arms almost all of the time that I feel it in my legs. It is normal for me.

And yes, walking works better to get rid of it than waving the arms! But doing shoulder lifts with weights in my hands will kill it in the arms, just as doing 30 lunges on each leg will kill it in the legs. (Mind you, I'm standing when I'm doing the lifts, so the legs are participating. I've never tried it sitting.)

I think the movement has to be "big" enough (demanding enough?) to flood the neural paths that the WED/RLS sensations use with other, better sensations (like those of muscle fatigue). If the movement is not big enough, WED sensations will still get through.

Primitive theory. Like it?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I do like it and agree the movement has to be big enough, really envy those who can keep symptoms at bay for a while as they wiggle toes and feet.
First sign of symptoms anywhere and I'm up onto the feet... Jack in the Box... no question.

As of recent months lunges are now way off any kind of stretches that I would do.
Looking at me I'm ok, rock on granny..... but the ravages of several unseen conditions take their toll. If I lunged forward I doubt I'd get back, would probably keep on lunging until I hit the ground.
But I do remember the pleasure of the lunges working :)
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ah you have made me laugh out loud again, Betty, I thank you for that!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Betty